Satellite Radio Installation 1999 Ls400

David Anderson

My wife wants me to install SiriusXm radio in our LS and was curious if anyone has found a way to do this? Can the antenna be installed inside and not on the ourside of the car? Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am a new member and haven't learned the ins and outs of the search function.

Crutchfield has a decent overview of how to install an aftermarket sat radio: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-w2u3gjVVwWS/learn/learningcenter/car/satellite_radio_installation_guide.html

I suppose you could install the antenna inside of the car interior - some people have put the antenna on the dash, on the rear shelf and even inside the high mounted stop light housing. Lexus dealers put the antenna on the edge of the trunk lid when installing sat radio in an LS430.

Options for getting audio from an aftermarket device into a pre-2001 Lexus audio system are not the best - there was a major change in audio system architecture beginning with the 2001 model year that made it easier. I haven't used them but a company in California can add an aux-in to just about any radio including older Lexus radios for (I think) about $60: http://factoryradioservice.com/index.php They can put the aux-in either on the face of the headunit or on a cable coming out of the back of the headunit; the reviews I have read about their work and the sound quality of the aux-in have all been positive.

I installed XM in the 93 LS that I previously owned. I ran the antenna to the back shelf and velcroed it beside the brake light enclosure. The signal was perfect.

I wired the XM tuner into the wiring running from the CD changer to the radio. I installed a 12 volt relay to enable me to switch between the CD player and the XM tuner. Placed the tuner inside the console and installed a power outlet inside the console. The wiring for the power outlet came from the fuse box under the dash.

There is an extensive thread about this installation on the CL forum.

OK, here's a pic of the SiriusXm radio installation I had done this weekend. very clean and no wires anywhere except in the former ashtray locations. The cigarette lighter is still active for a GPS or whatever. there is a rocker switch under the dash between the console and the steering column. Works great!xm.jpg 

I'll upload David's photo to the forum since photos on Photobucket have a habit of disappearing. David, would you mind uploading a photo of the rocker switch to the forum and providing more information about how you installed your sat radio?

post-2157-0-54325500-1329068135_thumb.jp

I have a 92 LS400 and removed radio and installed a Pioneer FH-8000BT. It is a double din, has an install kit for lexus, has Bluetooth and Satellite, and HD if wanted. Even the dealer likes the look it is all black with blue neon display.