Replacing Timing Belt(Is It Better Pay A Mechanic Or Do It Myself)

jzflsrt

My 03, Lexus is300 has reached almost 60K. I inspected the timing belt by taking the front belt cover off, and it seems worn on some edges, so i need to get it replaced. in addition the spark plugs, wires, radiator flush,serpentine belt,etc.

My question is should i pay a mechanic or should i do it myself? I am very passionate on working on cars. I am not a mechanic but i know enough to get my hands on.

I know i have to take the radiator off so i can have room to get to the cramshaft pulley. The cramshaft pulley may be the must toughest part to take off cause it will require special tool.i have an idea of what to do..

I know how to replace the spark plugs on this particular car .Am also aware the timing belt needs to be align where number 1 & 6 Piston is on the upper posittion and that there are marks on the pullley and upper camshaft . I would like to know if any of you had done it and what should i expect or if you have any tips. Thank you guys.

I would suggest getting a kit, preferibly original equipment. However the belt isnt really do till 90k miles. A little wear on edge of belt is normal. Look For Aisin, Mitshoboshi, and koyo as replacement parts...I am sure some of the venders or flea bay have a perfect kit for you.

Here is sample:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AISIN-Water-Pump-Timing-Belt-Kit-Lexus-IS300-3-0L-I6-01-05-/300572438695?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3ALexus&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fb8370a7

However you can join Club Lexus and than log onto Sewel Lexus online and get a discount on all parts...I have gone both ways with the parts.

Thanks for the tip and the Link , its also a goog deal. Honestly i didnt think on replacing the tensioner, why not do it alll since ill be taking it out anyways ,Right. It will also save future mechanical failure. How about the crankshaft pulley seal? is this something i should look into?i was looking into other Aisin manufacturing kits that include other conponents, or is there is no need to be replaced? Thanks again for ure suggestion.

I would have your mechanic look for signs of leakage on the crankshaft, These toyota based engines generally dont leak there...My old RX300 had 188k miles and never leaked from the crankshaft....Your mechanic could replace seal if necessary, but i wouldnt do it unless is is leaking.