Dropped A Socket Into The Center Console!

Hi guys, I haven't been around for a while, I've been so busy and I was Lexus-less there for a few months (traded in my '11 RX on my E550, more on that in another post) anyway I picked up a '09 RX about a month ago and tonight I was trying to install an aftermarket iPod adapter and in the process of removing the screws for the radio dropped the bolt and the socket from the socket wrench down into the center console below the gear selector. I was able to get the bolt back by using a magnet stick but I couldn't get the socket out. Is there a way to remove the plastic housing around the gear shifter to see down into the center and recover the socket?

Thanks for the help and hopefully I can be more active around here.

Oh yeah, been there done that!

Do you hear rattling by any chance as a result of the socket falling down there? That's what happened to me and it was a pain to get what I dropped out of the "secret panel" down there. There's this tiny opening just large enough for a socket to fall into yet small enough so you can't get your hand into to get it out.

Here's another thread that might help you gain access to that area-I posted some pics there too.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65164

• 9 years later...