97 Es300 Catalytic Converter

97ES300ME

Hello,

The catalytic converter on my 97 es300 needs replacing (check engine light is on--I can't remember the code at the moment) but it's for the cat. Does anyone have experience using an aftermarket cat or remanufactured cat? I'm told an OEM is going to be $1800+, and at nearly 200k miles, I can't justify that--especially if aftermarket will work. Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Now I'm thoroughly confused. The other night, out of nowhere, the Check Engine light turned off. The code (P0420) still shows up, but the light went off on it's own--I did not clear the code with the OBDII scanner. I just drove it about 250 miles round trip this weekend and it ran great--the Check Engine light never turned on. Any advice?? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Even more confused. I stopped at a local auto parts store to price the converter. The guy told me my car has 2 converters (bank 1 and bank 2), and the one I need (bank 1) is a dealer-only part. Does this sound right??

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Even more confused. I stopped at a local auto parts store to price the converter. The guy told me my car has 2 converters (bank 1 and bank 2), and the one I need (bank 1) is a dealer-only part. Does this sound right??

Thanks,

John

Wrong.

Your car sounds like California emissions. (but look under the hood to make sure)

FOr California emissions, the Bank 1 pre-cat is bult into the Y-pipe (along with the main cat). Tha Bank 2 cat is built into the front exhaust manifold. (Federal non-California emisisons cars do not have pre-cats and a different main cat)

I would suggest a direct-fit aftermarket converter. They run from $200-300 each online. Be careful though, as the cat for California emissions is different from the regular cat--it has the bank 1 pre-cat and is physically shorter than the non-California cat.

I have had good luck with RockAuto. I think Walker is the OEM supplier of Toyota's exhaust for the 1MZ.

Are you in California?