Cam Bolts Rusted And Stuck

FZ6 Dude

Hello,

I took my wife's 2006 RX330 in this past weekend for a tire rotation, balance, and alignment check as I do every 5K. This time they told me that the rear cam bolts were seized from rust and they could not remove them. They tried to spray them with a lubricating penetrant, but still could not loosen them. I asked if they tried to heat them up, but they said this could increase the chances of them breaking so no. They quoted me around $240 to cutoff the old bolts and replace them with new cam bolts. The other option was waiting a couple of days to see if the lubricant was able to free the bolts at all. I opted for the latter.

Does anyone have a diagram of the rear suspension that would point out the cam bolts? (I know, I should have asked to see them)

Also, is this an easy fix that can be done by a somewhat competent DIY'er? I handle most other things like oil changes and brakes.

My other thought is, the previous alignment done, 3 or 4 months ago, took a lot longer than normal. What are the odds that these guys cross threaded both bolts while performing the alignment adjustment and now can seem to get them off. (This is also why I want to see a diagram or picture so that I know what to look for, other than the obvious rusted bolt)

Has anyone else encountered such a thing with their cam bolts? Any no, I haven't been driving in saltwater or been in any significant snow over the last couple of months which may have caused the sudden seizure of both bolts....

Thanks

I just had a four wheel alignment done on my 2006 with 175000KM on it, and had no problems. However, I don't know if the previous owner (up to 2009) had an alignment done previously.

My previous vehicle - a 2001 Subaru Outback - had seized bolts at the rear when I took it in for an aligment. They had to be torched off and new ones installed. They technician did advise me that they coat the replacement bolts with much anti-seize to prevent a repeat. Don't know why this isn't done at the factory in the first place when the vehicle is being built.

So, it's quite possible that they are seized. I can take a pic later when I'm home, but if you look under the rear of the vehicle on the big suspension arms (driver and passenger) you'll see two big bolts - with a large washer behind them. The washer has dashes all aound it (like an analog clock face) I assume to help with turning the bolt to the right place when doing the alignment.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get under the car since my post, but will have time this weekend. Lenore- I was not able to look at the diagram as it did not show on my browser, but imagine that once I look for the biggest bolts connected to arms under the rear, it should be pretty obvious... hoping! I will go ahead and spray them with the PB and try to loosen myself in a few days.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get under the car since my post, but will have time this weekend. Lenore- I was not able to look at the diagram as it did not show on my browser, but imagine that once I look for the biggest bolts connected to arms under the rear, it should be pretty obvious... hoping! I will go ahead and spray them with the PB and try to loosen myself in a few days.

Thanks

Yeah it is really obvious with the markings around the bolt....As for the diagram go to Sewell LExus and call up your vehicle and go under chassis and look for diagram....

I would hit those bolts with pb blaster a couple of times. A day or two of soaking is probably the best you can do. As for bolts locally, I am not sure of the construction of those bolts, if they are a specialty and off centered than a normal bolt wont work....I would suspect they are also of a stronger grade than a normal bolt also.