Blind Spot Mirrors

We are first time owners of a 2010 Lexus RX350 and I can't find any information on "blind spot mirrors". Being the mirrors are heated will attaching the blind spot mirror effect the mirror in anyway? Thanks for any advice/information.

I am also interested in the answer or alternative advice how folks have dealt with the driver's side blindspot. One advice is this article from "car and driver" on proper side view mirror adjustment. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots I am going to try this before I stick anything on the mirrors, but I am still interested in anyone else's experience/suggestions

We are first time owners of a 2010 Lexus RX350 and I can't find any information on "blind spot mirrors". Being the mirrors are heated will attaching the blind spot mirror effect the mirror in anyway? Thanks for any advice/information.

The outside rearview mirrors on my ES350 are also "heated" as are most outside Lexus mirrors. The term heated might conjure up a nice toasty surface, but it is just enough to brinng the mirror up to a little above freezing. It dosen't take much. I have always used a stick-on curved surface mirror attached to my outside mirror to eliminate the blind spot. The heated surface is not too warm and the little mirror works great.

The best blind spot mirror I have ever seen is Ford's new design on their Ford Fusion. They use a small parabolic mirror surface in the upper left hand corner of the driver's outside rearview mirror. You can see the car right next to you all the time in that mirror, while seeing all the other traffiic in the rest of the mirror, regardless of where you look. It is really cool.

• 3 weeks later...

The proper way of adjusting outside mirrors was developed by an engineer at the GM Proving Ground and has since been adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers. The key thing to remember is that the door-mounted mirrors are not "rear view" mirrors - that's what the thing hanging in the middle of the windshield is for. The outside mirrors are for monitoring things in adjacent lanes. And when they're properly adjusted you will not have a blind spot (assuming you have normal peripheral vision)

Here's the correct technique:

1. For the left mirror, place your head next to the left door window then adjust the mirror so that you can see the left side of the car just at the far right side of the mirror

2. For the right mirror, lean your head to the approximate center of the car, then adjust the right mirror so you can see the right side of the car just in the far left side of that mirror

3. Take a drive on a freeway or other road having at least two lanes each direction. Drive in the right lane and let a car pass on the left. Verify that you can see that car in the mirror until you can begin to see it in your peripheral vision. If you lose it, adjust the mirror a little further out.

4. Repeat this with the right side mirror - drive in the left lane and pass/let pass another vehicle on the right. Verify that as the vehicle passes you, it appears in your peripheral vision at the same time it disappears from the mirror. If not, tweak the mirror angle per #3.

The great thing about this technique is that, once you learn to trust it, you no longer have to twist your head around to execute safe passing maneuvers. Additionally, you can back up using only the mirrors by scanning back and forth from one outside mirror, to the center (rear view) mirror to the other outside mirror.

Of course, those of us with backup cameras won't need to do that!

• 9 months later...

I am posting a bit late on this forum as I just found it today. I'm exasperated with these side view mirrors on the RX350! Mine is a 2010, the same year they put that dastardly piece in the console so you can no longer put your bag there. I hate this model. I have had the bigger Lexus SUV, and then went to the RX 350 in 2005 or 06 and never had a problem with either of those cars. I do turnpike driving daily, and I've had about 17 near misses in switching lanes. Yesterday, on a local road, I went to switch lanes, and a car going way over the 35 mph speed limit nearly killed us, because I didn't see it coming in the mirror. I have the camera for reverse parking as well. My side view mirrors do not heat up, so I don't know if that is extra or just a malfunction on my car. The alignment on the car is also way off. It constantly pulls to the left. I have had this car in to service numerous times, and the last time, they finally admitted it was off and tried to blame me for a small bump on the front of my car. Someone hit me in the supermarket parking lot but you can't even see it. I started having problems after they told me I needed two brand new tires for the car. In all my years of having cars, I have never had to replace tires. This was a first. So they replaced a front left tire and back right. That's when the alignment issues started as well as high idling. They told me the idling was normal, but the car vibrates like crazy when I'm stopped. It's just awful. I don't know what it is called, but the gauge next to the speedometer on the left is always at 1 when I'm stopped at a light or in my driveway. I know on the old stick shift cars, you would use this gauge to determine when to change gears. Shouldn't it always be at zero when idling? The vibration is so annoying. The gas pedal and my seat all vibrate, and yet the service guy keeps telling me it is in the normal range. I told him none of my ther Lexus cars ever did this. I'm truly fed up. I have 2 more yrs on my lease unfortunately, and it seems to be always something. They told me if I want the car re-aligned it will cost $139 plus labor, and I told them it shouldn't cost anything, since it only happened after they changed the tires, but it is an argument I won't win. I have used this service center for over 10 years, and I know everyone at the front desk, but they have new service guys. They claim everything is automated and they use computers, but I am just not buying it. I won't let my daughter learn to drive on this car, because the blind spots are so bad. I cannot wait to get rid of this car!

medavinci,

How old is your car? Alignment and Balance is covered by warranty. This is from the warranty booklet, "Coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, with the exception of wheel alignment and wheel balancing, which are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

After 17 near misses, I'd be thinking about driving on another road. Or put those small convex mirrors on top of your mirrors.

How does a hit in a parking lot screw up the alignment on the front and rear of your car? Replacing tires should not affect alignment, balance maybe. Needing to replace tires means your alignment, balance, or air pressure was screwed up. You should have alignment and balance done if you a ruining tires at the time you get new tires.

Doing business in a dealership for 10 years and you're not happy with the service manager, then move up the corporate ladder and talk to the general manager.

If you are referring to the tachometer, yes it should show 1000 or more when the engine is running and you are at a stop sign. At zero, the engine is turned off.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason your RX is pulling is because of the new tires. With a front wheel drive vehicle you need to replace both tires on an axle at the same time. They need to rotate the right tire from the back to the front. That way you have both new tires on the front. Your RX should not idle that high either, it should be just over 500 rpm, once the engine has warmed up. Good Luck.

The proper way of adjusting outside mirrors was developed by an engineer at the GM Proving Ground and has since been adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers. The key thing to remember is that the door-mounted mirrors are not "rear view" mirrors - that's what the thing hanging in the middle of the windshield is for. The outside mirrors are for monitoring things in adjacent lanes. And when they're properly adjusted you will not have a blind spot (assuming you have normal peripheral vision)

Here's the correct technique:

1. For the left mirror, place your head next to the left door window then adjust the mirror so that you can see the left side of the car just at the far right side of the mirror

2. For the right mirror, lean your head to the approximate center of the car, then adjust the right mirror so you can see the right side of the car just in the far left side of that mirror

3. Take a drive on a freeway or other road having at least two lanes each direction. Drive in the right lane and let a car pass on the left. Verify that you can see that car in the mirror until you can begin to see it in your peripheral vision. If you lose it, adjust the mirror a little further out.

4. Repeat this with the right side mirror - drive in the left lane and pass/let pass another vehicle on the right. Verify that as the vehicle passes you, it appears in your peripheral vision at the same time it disappears from the mirror. If not, tweak the mirror angle per #3.

The great thing about this technique is that, once you learn to trust it, you no longer have to twist your head around to execute safe passing maneuvers. Additionally, you can back up using only the mirrors by scanning back and forth from one outside mirror, to the center (rear view) mirror to the other outside mirror.

Of course, those of us with backup cameras won't need to do that!

I loved this info...I had NEVER had my mirrors set up this way and it has made a big difference now that I have adjusted as explained. I feel a lot better in LA traffic because of this post, thanks, Rey in LA

• 3 years later...

There are now some on-line businesses that sell blind spot mirror that mount above the main side mirror. How this is done and if they are any good, I have no idea. Here is one company that has them Hammacher Schlemmer. They cost $60. However all their products, unless otherwise noted come with a lifetime guarantee for any reason. You get what you pay for with this company. The also have an add on heads up display that plugs into the diagnostic port for $150. Cheap compared to the Lexus built in option with no lifetime warranty.