"weak" Key Fob Transmitter

I'm new to the Lexus experience, having recently puchased a pre-owned 2008 RX400h with 28,000 miles. I am well pleased in general; however I find the operation of the remote key fob to be rather disappointing. The range of the remote key fob seems ridiculously short--I tested this and found that at best (no trees or other obstacles between me and the car) the distance in which it will lock/unlock/Panic is about 4 to 5 car-lengths. One key seems slightly better than the other but neither is worth a darn. I finally bought a new CR2016 battery and with some difficulty installed it in the "weaker" key, but there was no improvement. That key still has a shorter range than the other and often requires multiple presses of the Panic button before anything happens. With either key the Panic operation is less than ideal--unless I'm within a few feet of the car, all that it usually does is just "beep" and that's it. Is this "normal" for Lexus? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

You are correct. The range of the key fob IS...less than desirable. I just chalk it up to the fact that it's so small. Since it's an all-in-one unit with the physical key as opposed to a separate electronic fob and key arrangement, it just CAN'T have that good a range. Best remote I ever had was on my '04 Maxima. That thing worked from inside a building thru the windows to my car at >100 feet!