Compare - New Bmw 3 Series

pj8708

Here is a configurator for the 2012 BMW 3 Series. In my short life, :), I have never run across a car that started at around $36,000, and could go up to $70 grand! (Must have a heck of a spare tire option.)

So for your illumination, read on, tear it apart. Tell us what's better than us, what's worse than us. Then which Lexus is the best choice over the 3 series.

Be honest, be nice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/19/2012-bmw-3-series-configurator-powers-up/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fautoblog+%28Autoblog%29

God...BMWs just get more and more expensive.

Just a base "luxury" line 335i is $47k...before ANY options. Thats more than a loaded ES350 or IS350. A similarly equipped 335i to a loaded IS350 is $10,000 more. $6k more than a similarly equipped Mercedes C350. Thats just absurd. I mean, the 3 series is the benchmark, don't get me wrong...but I'm not going to buy a tiny little 3 series when I can buy a GS, Infiniti M, or an E class for the same money.

Seriously, a fairly loaded E350 is $4,000 more than this 335i. Crazy.

And then you have the "modern" line which gets you weird light colored steering wheel, dash top & gauge faces that look like they came from Volvo's style book.

Which was why I couldn't even consider a BMW 3 series when I decided to get a "nice" car after looking at the IS350. The IS350 is more than you can use on legal streets, and comes loaded with all the toys as well. I think I got mine for under $39K. A comparable BMW at the time was $52k. And truth be told, I haven't regretted getting the IS350 in the least. I have almost 55k miles on it, and it's been a great problem free car.

But, on the other hand, for $50k+ cars, BMW isn't a bad car today. I think the 2011/12 BMW 3 series is a superior car to the Lexus IS series now. Not so much so back in 2005-2008. So rather than drop the price of the BMW 3, they made it better for the same $50k+ IMHO. The only trouble I run into is if I'm going to spend $60k+ on a car, then I'm gettin a Nissan GTR. Sorry, if you want a real car and your attracted to the BMW 3 series for it's performance, then get the GTR. If your getting one for the snob factor, then your getting a cheaper one, or an Audi.

I've never understood their option packages and pricing. They almost present it like it's ala cart, but it's not, so you bundle a bunch of useless stuff to get the real options you want, and they make you pay alot for the ones you don't want and even more for the few you do want.

And modding BMW's is crazy money, so you better get it the way you want. Or else you suffer with out. I don't want to drive one just to be driving one, I want all the toys that make driving them fun and posh!

Be quite honest in my opinion, the only German automaker that has anything that really appeals to me directly, is the Audi/VW group with their double box double clutch DSG transmission. I swear, it is the most addictive element of any car I have ever drive. I like it so much, in both auto mode and manual mode, that when it comes time to replace the GTI, I'm probably going to stay with the brand because of it.

I Love a BMW though, but the prices are just outrageous for what you get, even in the used market. A fairly loaded 06 330i with 50k+ miles for the same price as a fully loaded CPO 10 Passat with under 20k miles, and many years of warranty coverage. Different cars, true. But both have enough "German" to scratch anyone's "German itch".

That being said, what I don't understand even more so than BMW prices, is Audi's! BMW is a "stand alone" badge. Audi is like the Acura of Honda. I wouldn't say Lexus to Toyota though, because designs and switch gear are different enough to distinguish them apart. But Audi and VW (remember, I'm talking CPO used, not new) share so many characteristics and switchgear, that I can't justify the cost difference of an Audi. I guess there are enough design queues differences for many others, but I don't see it for that kind of money.

In my honest opinion, not to be bias, but I think the best German car on the road, for driving fun, livability, comfort, and pure return on dollar to enjoyment, is the 4-door GTI. I really adore my 07', and freakin love the new ones!! There's a reason why Top Gear (the real one, not the idiots in Nevada), keeps praising the car as the one to beat...

I've noticed that BMWs are really over-priced. I agree with that. BUT I've also noticed that BMW does offer more discounted vehicles than Lexus does. I'm currently deciding on whether I'm gonna get another car this year or not. I'm gonna be honest and say that my current 528i was discounted about $7k from the original sticker price when I got it. It wasn't the number 1 color I wanted, but I can live with it. I've noticed that if you aren't picky with specific options and colors of a certain car, you can get yourself into a brand new BMW for less than you would expect. If you have enough patience to surf thru all the BMW (or Lexus) dealers' websites within your state (or within a 200 mile radius of your current location), you may find a decent offer somewhere. For example, I know of a dealership who is offering a decently loaded brand new 2012 740i for $71k or $73k from the original MSRP of $83k (Shucks I just checked their website and that certain vehicle is sold already. I had my eye on that one for a couple weeks now ). It may not be the Alpine White or Space Gray Metallic color you want (it was a dark gray one) nor did it have a rear DVD system, but they did drop the price of that vehicle significantly without any haggling at the dealership. I believe they had a lease offer of only $699/month on that 740i.

If someone is really into gizmos and fancy features, then a German car like BMW is something for you. If you're one of those who wants practicality, yet a little fancy gadgets here and there, Lexus is the way to go. I remember a friend of mine bought a 2011 BMW 328i BASE model (literally the most basic one available) for $34k-ish, and the vehicle didn't even have the basic features that a base model Lexus would offer like power seats, alarm system, or a sunroof!

They are a little over priced but hands down they are really fun to drive. :blushing: I just test drove an X5 diesel yesterday and even though the engine was a little noisier than the gas counterpart X5, but DAYUM that bad boy really gets going when you step on the gas :snoooorrrtttt: Another bad thing about BMWs is that they depreciate FAST even though you spent more than a comparable Lexus model.

You have to bear in mind though that you live in CA. In general you can get better deals on all cars out there because of the dealer competition. I can tell you here that is certainly not the case, you can get a better deal on a Lexus than on a BMW.

That makes my point though. When I spend $60k-80K on a car...hell even $40k....I want what I want. I don't want some color or options I don't want. Thats what makes BMWs so frustrating to shop for, the infinite options and the impossibility of finding what you want on the dealer's lot makes you have to order...which makes you have to pay close to sticker. With Lexus...each model only comes 2-3 ways...

I've always wanted a BMW, but when you sit down and compare them side to side...the price difference is just absurd...

Then again, yeah I forgot to consider the fact that you guys live in a different part of the country where things are done slightly different than here in CA. Lexus is more simple in building a specific unit with options. BMW does tend to get a little tedious because you can order a BMW with Navi, parking sensors, sport package, xenon BUT no leather and homelink :blink::wacko: (I believe I've seen this combination on the lot before) Plus these BMWs have too many unecessary gizmos and sensors which makes the car more vulnerable to problems in the future. For instance, after owning one for almost 3 years now, I've never had a car before that flashes a quick warning on the i-drive telling me that the temp outside of the car is 37 degrees . I mean, we all have an outside temp gauge already so I think it's just common sense to know that when it reads 37 or anything lower that it means it's COLD outside :chairshot:post-9735-0-47524700-1327455929_thumb.jppost-9735-0-07247000-1327455927_thumb.jp

BMW?? I always go to Consumer Reports to see how owners rate their own cars. This I believe is a very reliable way to critique an automobile before you buy.

I brought my LS430 by looking through various recommendations and ratings for upscale cars. I have had great success with my Lexus and glad I looked at CR before I sent any money. For $19.00 for a online subscription, it is a bargain. You will be supprised to see what some so called luxary auto's are really trash.

jz

For instance, after owning one for almost 3 years now, I've never had a car before that flashes a quick warning on the i-drive telling me that the temp outside of the car is 37 degrees . I mean, we all have an outside temp gauge already so I think it's just common sense to know that when it reads 37 or anything lower that it means it's COLD outside :chairshot:

Actually I've had several cars that do that, including the ol Prius.

Yeah, the VW does that at 39 degrees too. It's to alert you of the potential for icy spots. I do wish though, that at least in the VW, the warning "ding" sounded different from a problem "ding". Everytime I hear it, I instantly think "ok crap, here comes all of those negative reviews on VW. Dangit, I knew I shouldn't of bought this piece of crap, I don't even like how this.....oh wait, just the ice warning....whew....I love this car!"

Yeah, the VW does that at 39 degrees too. It's to alert you of the potential for icy spots. I do wish though, that at least in the VW, the warning "ding" sounded different from a problem "ding". Everytime I hear it, I instantly think "ok crap, here comes all of those negative reviews on VW. Dangit, I knew I shouldn't of bought this piece of crap, I don't even like how this.....oh wait, just the ice warning....whew....I love this car!"

The Volvo dosen't ding, it just shows a cute little snow flake next to the outside temp at 35'. :)

For instance, after owning one for almost 3 years now, I've never had a car before that flashes a quick warning on the i-drive telling me that the temp outside of the car is 37 degrees . I mean, we all have an outside temp gauge already so I think it's just common sense to know that when it reads 37 or anything lower that it means it's COLD outside :chairshot:

Actually I've had several cars that do that, including the ol Prius.

Really? Well I think that feature is a useless gizmo that may cause future problems with the computers or electrical of the car. What's the point of the temperature gauge reading if we're not gonna read it and just be shocked at the temperature outside when you open your door?

Back in the day we used to always research cars before purchasing/leasing. Lately our mentality has changed as my pops wants to try out a lot of different cars before retiring so that means we currently don't care too much about long term reliability.

For example, the X5 diesel we test drove was nice, but what's the long term reliability of BMW's diesel? I know they've had diesel in their cars overseas but obviously Consumer Reports or Motor Trend won't be able to test out the reliability of BMW's diesel as it hasn't been out for too long in America

I don't see how its a feature that could cause any long term longevity issues...its just a temperature readout. My old Explorer has 220k miles on it and has that same warning feature...outside temp still works fine. Lots of other stuff doesn't...but that does...

Its a nice feature I think, just a subtle warning that temps outside have dipped to where there might be ice on the roads. Especially when you're traveling temps can change quickly and without the driver noticing,

I got to see and sit in the new 3 series at the car show today, its actually much more impressive in person. The car really has a lot more presence than the previous 3, looks bigger, and at first I mistook it for a 5 series. They had two models, the "Modern" trim with the goofy Volvoesque color keyed wheel and gauge faces and really terrible "handscraped" type fake wood trim. Awful.

But, they had a 335i with the luxury package that was *very* attractive, nice wood trim, better interior than the outgoing car, and much bigger feeling...

Right, as I said, BMW is making the 3 much nicer now than before, and while the price has gone up a little, it's still a $50k-$60 car, where as the IS 350 is a $30K-$40K car, and used to be faster than one until just recently the BMW 3 is a tick or two faster, and it's a bit bigger, and the interior has improved tons.

But the new 5 series is way nice now! I really like the new 5. I wouldn't buy one, but I think it blows the old model away in terms of styling and performance.

So the IS350 is still a very good value, but I think the new updates are coming very soon. After looking at the new GS, I'm a bit concerned. We'll see how they intergrate this new LFA style into the IS line up. I hope they don't fugly it up....

But the new 5 series is way nice now! I really like the new 5. I wouldn't buy one, but I think it blows the old model away in terms of styling and performance.

On the contrary, the guys at the 5 series forum think the opposite (I share the same opinion too) that the older body style (E60) is better than the new current one (F10). The only thing I liked about the new one is the LED plate lights, LED Corona Rings (aka Halos), LED brake lights (which was kinda dumb that they only put LED turn signals on my 528i but the brake lights are still the old school bulbs), and the new white dash read out (never been a fan of the red dash lights which is what my 528i has). I have driven the new 528i I4 turbo and to me it was a disappointment. So the new one will be out of the list since they changed the 528i engine from the I6 to an I4 turbo. :chairshot:

You have to see the new GS in person, it's much better looking in person. Not as good looking as the new 5, but better interior IMHO

Ehh I'm still having doubts with the back end of it. I know you didn't like the looks of the new GS when I posted those pics that I took from the car show, but the only attractive thing that's catching my attention on the new GS is the 12" screen. I sat in one at the car show last Nov and one at my Lexus dealership this week.

I suppose all of you already knew this, but would you buy a BMW 3 Series who's engine shut off EVERY time you stoped the car? Where the heck are we going in the name of mpg???

http://autos.aol.com/photos/2012-bmw-3-series-3/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D133965

I suppose all of you already knew this, but would you buy a BMW 3 Series who's engine shut off EVERY time you stoped the car? Where the heck are we going in the name of mpg???

http://autos.aol.com...26pLid%3D133965

That's only for the I4 Turbo 328i. The 335 I6 wouldn't have the auto shut off feature and this feature can be turned off. The I4 528i I test drove had that same feature (reminded me of a hybrid) but a simple button can turn that off.

Speaking of those led brake lights - you ever have sit behind a car that has them at night at a stop light? They're freaking blinding! I hate them and I'm surprised nobody has complained about them. I got behind a new Camry last night while going home. Pitch black outside, and I has to put on my sunglasses every time they went on. I was in highway traffic and couldn't get around them. The Cadillac SUV is the absolute worst of all cars! What was wrong with the old intensity level?

Since I'm on this, how are these ubber bright headlight bulbs legal as well? I'd like to see a study of head-on collision statistics with one of the cars that has them, because for me, and maybe my age is showing a little here, but I can't see the lines on the roads sometimes when they're coming at me. I though one guy had his brights on, flashed at him..I was wrong, and was seeing rings in my eyes for a few seconds after he responded with a quick flick back at me.

On the contrary, the guys at the 5 series forum think the opposite (I share the same opinion too) that the older body style (E60) is better than the new current one

I just completely disagree. I know the previous bangle model (yours) was very controversial and is not very liked in a lot of BMW circles, but I always liked it.

But, I think the new one is a HUGE improvement in every category. In fact, I think it's one of, if not the best looking sedans on the road right now, and I will seriously consider one in 2013 when my lease is up.

I think that may be a case of forum members who have the older model just preferring theirs. I've read opinions on BMW forums from non 5 owners or owners of older 5s who say the exact opposite of what you've said.

The 4 cyl in the 528 is a little questionable to me too, but I'd get a 535 so it's really not a issue to me.

How do you turn off these autocorrect feature on the iPhone? I sound like I can barely speak English on this thing...