08 400H Basic Warranty Expiring Soon, What Should I Do?

Just purchased a used 08 400h with 46k miles. I expect to do about 1k miles/month so my basic warranty will be expiring soon.

Does anybody have any recommendations for what parts/components/services I should make sure the Dealer replaces under the basic warranty before I hit 50k?

My worry is that the basic warranty is going to lapse and then I'm going to get hit with a big bill when I do the 60k service for stuff that I could have taken care of under the basic warranty.

Thanks in advance!

For gods sake check the headlights for condensation, if they have condensation make sure you have it in writing at the lexus stealership. Only other thing is check for leaks on the inverter, and listen for bearing noise from the wheels...other than that enjoy.

Hi Cali. I just wanted to welcome you to the Lexus Owners Club and hope you'll enjoy many more miles of smooth driving. Lenore gives good advice.

I'm not a big believer in extended warranties, but in some cases they make sense. In your situation with your concern for future trouble and exspense, the warranty might offer peace of mind.

Paul

I'm buying 2008 400h with 53000 on it. Called local Lexus dealer today, finance guy and he advised that 7 or 8 year "exception" extended warranties are available.

7 year @ $2228

8 year @ $2353

I'm fan of extended warranties because I've had to use them. Had to replace power window motor on driver side and tab came to over $1400! Deductable was $50.00

It failed again and it was replaced under warranty again.

There is 8 year 100K mileage warranty on battery no matter what.

You never know!

Bob

that is very expensive if the warranty is only good till 100k miles....that means for a 47k mile warranty you are paying $2228 for 7 years, and 2353 for 8 years....That means you can only drive roughly 6k per year to take full benefit......I would invest the money and keep it for repairs....

Quote from the abpve link:

" For example, the highest usage claims were for Mercedes-Benz, for which we have no recommended models due to below-average reliability. But only 38 percent of those owners said they saved money with the extended warranty; the average loss was $100. "

I would say a $100 is a very cheap price for a peace of mind.

Another quote from a link in the article:

"Another way to look at this is through the experiences of people who had vehicles four to six years old and who did not have extended warranty coverage. Analysis from our extensive reliability database showed that only about 4 percent of those cars had repair costs of more than $1,700 in a one-year period, and fewer than 1 percent had $3,700 in such costs."

You're better off putting the money aside, in case you need it, and the odds are you won't.

Thanks for the tips!

I do notice some headlight condensation, but other sources are saying that is normal.

I'm thinking I need to get a bottle of water and pour it over the headlight area to see if any pools up in either headlight....what do you guys think?

I also got quotes of around $2400 for a 8yr/100k lexus platinum extended warranty...tempted b/c my SO likes the music loud and is likely to blow out the ML system

Thanks for the tips!

I do notice some headlight condensation, but other sources are saying that is normal.

I'm thinking I need to get a bottle of water and pour it over the headlight area to see if any pools up in either headlight....what do you guys think?

I also got quotes of around $2400 for a 8yr/100k lexus platinum extended warranty...tempted b/c my SO likes the music loud and is likely to blow out the ML system

The headlight condensation is not normal....Get them to document and fix it...they are expensive..

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, running water over the headlights won't cause condensation to develop inside. The condensation develops as moist air gets trapped inside the headlight through microscopic gaps along the perimeter. Water itself can't get through, but the air can. These headlights actually have several "vents" in the back, that are "suppoed to" allow the moisture in the trapped air to be released, but they don't work well. Bottom line, if your headlights are producing condensation, they always will. There's NO way to eliminate it via sealing- believe me, I've tried. I've had a lot of experience dealing with Lexus headlights, and I haven't found a cure besides replacing.

And as lenore said above, there shouldn't be any moisture in there. Moisture will not only create a "stain" on the inside of the headlight lens, but it can also get inside the headlight ballast computers causing them to fail.

If your dealer tries to tell you that it's normal, ask them to show you a new model with condensation. Push them to replace the headlights, as the problem will NEVER go away by itself, nor can they be repaired.

cduluk is exactly right, i have this on one headlight out of warranty. ( also i beleive this was a known problem on certain RX years that were more prone to failing than others, the dealers are well aware of it) I seem to remember someone posting a way to remedy this inexpensively by drilling new vents delicately in a certain area, anyone remember that post?

sorry it looks like i posted this in the wrong topic

• 5 months later...

I don't know if you bought a warranty or not but I've Definetly used mine and have always come out ahead. Ive dealt with one finance manager for a long time and she gives me a break on the warranty. I could see how much it would cost if u went through her. She told me she sells them over the phone to customers that are out of state even. She does everything FedEx to make it easy. Let me know if you're interested.