1997 Ls400 Cd Player Quits At Random W/ Nakamichi

adrian torres

Help, I have a great ls400 with the nakamichi system that sounds great. The cd player has worked with no problems but the tape deck ejects all tapes as it make rewinding noises then switches sides then ejects. The only work done this past year was my alternator died and all of my systems lost power as my car died. After replacing it, I started to notice that my cd player would quit when playing and will not turn on. It is stilled powered and will eject but that is it. After some time, I can turn it on again. It it will quit again.

Is this a bad head unit or is there a loose connection?

I like my system and I would've liked to having everything working.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Update:

I finally got around to resolving this issue. I had my Lexus dealership try to swap out both the Cd Changer and the Head Unit to determine which component or wire harness was defective.  As it turns out, it was my head unit after all.  Though the ebay sourced head unit has a LCD that is non functional for the sound leveler knobs, it works great.

Total Cost of repairs $800 for diag and parts.  Costly, but I am glad I got this issue resolved. 

wow thats a lot, in that money you could have replaced your timing belt ..... anyway glad you found the solution and fixed it, just curious why you didnt tried any junk yard to find the spare parts? i am sure in your country there will be junk yards full of lexus just like here since LS are being massively imported in this part of the world from Japan (right hand drives) and are ripped apart and almost all parts being sold individually making a good profit for the guys doing the business.