Lexus Mandate To Dealers...synthetic Oil Only?

spgull

Took my 2008 ES in for a routine oil change today and noticed that the receipt said "Valvoline Synthetic." I went back to my service rep and told him I did not request synthetic oil so why was it installed. He said that is all that they install now and that all Lexus dealers would be doing the same. The price was only a $5.00 difference so I was ok with that, $56 vs. $51. Have any of heard of this mandate?

Steve G

Are they extending the change intervals to 10k miles from the current 5k?

I had my oil changed two weeks ago and got dino vs. synthetic per my request.

I believe the RX has gone synthetic.

The $5 difference in price isn't bad at all.

Yeah Lexus is in the process of going all synthetic. One the new cars the interval is now 10k miles, my guess is its all the Lexus dealer will stock going forward which is why they used it for your oil change. They won't change the maintenance schedules on the older cars.

$5 more for full synthetic is a deal...

• 3 weeks later...

I do all of my oil changes at 5000 miles and only use synthetic. I use dino the first 5000 miles then switch to syn. 138,000 on the clock and no issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm on 10K intervals w/ synthetic Mobil1 at my Lexus dealership on my 2007 IS350.

The first service writer (dork) I asked at dealership about this, said I needed to come in at 5K intervals with synthetic oil, blah blah, blah. I fired him.

The next service writer I asked at dealership about this, said 10K intervals are fine with approved synthetic oil, so I've continued to use him for scheduling all my service appointments since.

The dork was right, the other guy is wrong. Doing 10k changes on a 2007 risks voiding the warranty. Lexus specifically stated that oil change intervals could not be lengthened when using synthetic oil. They lengthened the interval for some new cars, but not all...and not the 2012 IS.

Read it for yourself: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Lexus_IS_350_IS_350_C_ISF_WSG.pdf

I use synthetic oil and change every 5k...

The dork was right, the other guy is wrong. Doing 10k changes on a 2007 risks voiding the warranty. Lexus specifically stated that oil change intervals could not be lengthened when using synthetic oil. They lengthened the interval for some new cars, but not all...and not the 2012 IS.

Read it for yourself: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Lexus_IS_350_IS_350_C_ISF_WSG.pdf

I use synthetic oil and change every 5k...

No the dork is wrong, because the law protects owners. In order to deny Warranty claim Lexus would have to prove that the 10K intervals contributed or caused the problem reported. Lexus can print whatever they want.

The proof is that I continued to get excellent warranty work and coverage at my dealer while on 10K intervals of Mobile1 changed by the dealer.

The "dork" is not wrong. He works for Lexus (indirectly) and he told you what Lexus says needs to be done to maintain the vehicle. Just because the other guy told you what you wanted to hear doesn't make the first guy wrong.

If you ever should have an oil sludging problem (not saying you will) or an engine seizure problem, I promise you Lexus will deny the warranty because of your 10k drain intervals. Following the maintenance schedule is a requirement of the vehicle's warranty, you're in violation of it plain and simple.

Yes, we know how poorly Toyota (and Lexus) did when it paid out big time for oil sludging problem, even when owners were severly negligent. We know about boilerplate write up by Lexus, good luck with that. Btw, the offending SA never referenced the document.

Anybody can speculate about (an attempt at) denial, but guarantee from outsiders is just speculation. Unfortunately Toyotas very expensive payout is now in history books.

And 10K intervals on Mobile1 is not negligent, the well documented lab results prove that. Nothing to worry about. Lexus has provided excellent warranty service for me.

And 10K intervals on Mobile1 is not negligent, the well documented lab results prove that. Nothing to worry about. Lexus has provided excellent warranty service for me.

You've never had a engine seizure or sludge claim.

I'm not saying that its unsafe for the motor, I'm just saying that should you ever have any type of warranty claim that they can pin on your longer oil change intervals, they will. I've been around this company a LONG time, I've owned a lot of their products and through my many years on Toyota/Lexus internet forums I have seen a lot of people get into it with this company when it comes to warranty repairs. They make a great product, and they have great customer service...but they will stab you right in the back over something like this.

You can do what you want, but other people read these threads deciding how to care for their cars. Bottom line is Lexus recommends a 5k change on these cars, they specifically sent a memo saying that interval should not be extended when using synthetic oils. If you drive 15k miles per year, that amounts to 3 changes per year instead of 1.5. So you're looking at $225 a year vs $112.50. Everybody can decide for themselves if its worth risking a claim being denied for $112.50 per year.

Just telling everybody "its fine" though isn't accurate.

I hear what you are saying, it's fine for me and all the Lexus owners I know, but NOT for all. Yes, we haven't had engine seizures and oil sludging, no kidding. And we know what happened when Toyota dealers tried to deny oil sludging claims, Toyota got reamed and paid millions in the end. But to your point, it is a good historical example of how they unsuccessfully attempted to "stab in the back" good customers. And it's not certain they want to go down that PR disaster and expensive road again.

Like you I have years of experience with the 2 brands as well as other premium brands, not to mention internet forums.

But I agree, for those that feel its a risk and cannot afford the extremely low risk they should follow memo by all means, keeping in mind new development below since memo was published. Therefore it is not fine for all, per memo.

Now it's a non-issue (not that Lexus is making it a issue, it is certainly something to discuss on Internet). Because Lexus now has 10K intervals with approved synthetic on 2013 GS 350 with same engine as IS350. Good progress and expected from a leading premium brand. It's not so much a cost issue for owners, more of practical use of time and not wasting resources.

Again to repeat, it's not fine for everybody to casually change to 10K intervals, see above.

• 1 month later...

I have 1 Lexus and 2 Toyotas and both dealers are very explicit about 5000 mile oil changes. I'll never go past 5000 with any vehicle since I change the oil myself and for $20 it isn't worth it.