2000 Lexus Es300 - Coolant Leak, But Where?

ml30306

I own a 2000 Lexus ES300, roughly 130K miles. Over the past year I have noticed a very small decrease in my anti-freeze coolant (bought the car in 2011, had the timing belt changed in March 2011). I had parked the car facing up a hill, down a hill, checked under the hood with a flashlight, no drips or puddles, nothing. Occassionaly I will have a very faint smell of anti-freeze coming in through the heater if it is running. About 1 week ago the overflow reservoir was empty, filled it back up, no noticeable decrease since. 2 days ago I noticed some fluids facing the car under the hood near the timing belt, tiny amount, most of it was on the under carriage plate that stretches across the car.

Does anyone know where the actual leak could be and what it is? Should I be really concerned? I want to repair it ASAP since in my experience small fluid amounts like this can into larger problems in no time. Any comments/suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated!!!

Have you noticed a pink residue on the bottom of the transaxle near the point where the engine and transmission are attactched....If so you may have a leak on the intake manifold and the coolent goes down the back side of the engine from the area near the thermostat housing....If the residue in only on the timing belt side could be the water pump which is serious because the pump is driven by the timing belt which is not good. or the hose under the intake manifold is leaking....I would take a flash light and look very carefully as to where the highest point of residue is....than look there.

• 1 month later...