98 Es300 - New Stereo Buzz - Wiring Questions

Hello,

I'm a bit ignorant to most of this stuff so forgive me if my questions are lame. I'm putting a new stereo HU in my 1998 ES300. I'm only replacing the HU. The amp and speakers are still the factory stuff.

I read as much on the forums as I could find to help me figure out how to set things up. I think I've made it through all the hurdles (and will post later specifically how I did it) but the last item I'm still having trouble with. I have a humming/buzzing coming through the speakers when I turn on the stereo and use any of the modes (CD, iPod, radio). I've read a couple of other folks with this problem as well and some offered suggestions.

Here were three helpful ideas:

1. Put in Ground Loop Isolators

2. Check your grounds

3. Run power cables opposite the RCA's

Obviously item 3 is self explanatory but because I'm not very familiar with cables and their properties items 1 and 2 aren't as self-explanatory. I've included a picture of my setup. My questions are:

1) Do I have the ground loop isolator setup correctly? (I realize I need a second one for the left/right back pre-amp hookup)

2) I added some ferrite cores. Are those needed? Do they do anything in this situation?

3) Was I supposed to just tie the two ground wires together or tie them to something else?

When I hook this setup up it does reduce the humming a lot but there is still a slight hum going on. Any other ideas for how to reduce the hum? Did I hook things up correctly?

Thanks for any help offered.

Rus

post-136850-0-61342000-1326357179_thumb.

No takers?

I'm not an expert, but I'll throw out a couple of thoughts. Did you check that the new head unit was fully compatible with that old amplifier. Are you sure you have the right wiring harness? If I were to offer one best recommendation for the best results, replace the ampifier with a new one matched to the new HU. The results will be well worth the few extra dollars and scracting your head your going through now.

Paul