Rx300 Transmission

wirepaladin

I have a well-maintained 2002 RX300. Recently, I noticed the transmission was not shifting properly. I took it to my mechanic and he infortmed me "it is going." The next day, I called my local Lexus dealer and made an appoinment to have the transmission checked. I never made it. The transmission burned out on the way to the dealer. I have about 109,000 on the vehicle.

The Lexus dealer wanted $5,500 for a rebuilt transmission, plus labor. I ended up having the transmission rebuilt for about $3,000 at a local shop that does only transmissions. The manager of that shop told me that the RX transmission was poorly designed for the load of an SUV and that failures were pretty common.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA about the transmission and by searching the internet, discovered that there are a significant number of transmission complaints with the RX. I am thinking of starting a class action suit. Anyone want to chime in?

You know, look at it this way you got 10 years, I absolutely am not happy with the tranny issue....I lost mine at same mileage...I am the guy that requested people to file a complaint. But I would suggest to you to make sure to keep the fluid changed once a year or every 15k miles. A drain and fill is all that is required. You could try alternate fluids such as the synthetics that are compatable with this tranny which uses Toyota Type IV. Amsoil, Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid which says specifically that it replaces for the toyota fluid, and Castrol oil multi vehicle which states that it is a replacement. Make sure it say for Type IV, not to be confused with Dexron IV....not the same thing. Good luck, enjoy your car...

As you've learned, the RX300 transmissions were not rugged enough to handle the weight of the vehicle. The lousy transmission saga is well-documented on this forum....

My wife's 2000 RX300 AWD transmission failed under warranty as the vehicle approached 48,000 miles. It was replaced by our local Lexus dealership at no cost to us. Once it was replaced, I began a drain-and-fill routine of the ATF every 30,000 miles. I chose to stick with Toyota Type T-IV ATF simply to protect us in the event of another failure. I sold the vehicle at 130,000 miles in January 2007 with full disclosure to the buyer. The replaced transmission performed normally at that time, but I was elated to get rid of the vehicle....

It was replaced by a 2004 RX330 AWD that has been a much better vehicle. Although Lexus Corporate will never admit it, they learned their lesson from the weak transmission components in the earlier RX generations, and upgraded them beginning with the 2004 model year. Although I believe our RX330's transmission will remain intact throughout its lifespan in our stable, I've continued my drain-and-fill routine of its Type T-IV ATF every 30,000 miles as a cheap insurance policy. I do it myself for about twenty bucks a pop. Takes all of 30 minutes, and most of that time is simply waiting for as much of the old ATF to drip out as possible. The vehicle is approaching 120,000 miles now. As long as it remains relatively trouble-free and easy to maintain, we'll keep it. Once we're done with it, the same couple who purchased my wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD nearly five years ago wants first crack at it....

Drain-and-fill your ATF on a periodic basis. That's essentially the best advice that we can give you....

As you've learned, the RX300 transmissions were not rugged enough to handle the weight of the vehicle. The lousy transmission saga is well-documented on this forum....

My wife's 2000 RX300 AWD transmission failed under warranty as the vehicle approached 48,000 miles. It was replaced by our local Lexus dealership at no cost to us. Once it was replaced, I began a drain-and-fill routine of the ATF every 30,000 miles. I chose to stick with Toyota Type T-IV ATF simply to protect us in the event of another failure. I sold the vehicle at 130,000 miles in January 2007 with full disclosure to the buyer. The replaced transmission performed normally at that time, but I was elated to get rid of the vehicle....

It was replaced by a 2004 RX330 AWD that has been a much better vehicle.

Although Lexus Corporate will never admit it, they learned their lesson from the weak transmission components in the earlier RX generations,

No, your 2004 RX330 wannabe AWD has exactly the same flawed transaxle design as did the previous models, 99, etc. The major difference is that the RX330 uses DBW to prevent the engine from trying to "drive" until the transaxle can complete (sometimes begin and complete, a downshift. That's why you sometimes experience the noted 1-2 second "re-acceleration" downshift delays/hesitations.

and upgraded them beginning with the 2004 model year. Although I believe our RX330's transmission will remain intact throughout its lifespan in our stable, I've continued my drain-and-fill routine of its Type T-IV ATF every 30,000 miles as a cheap insurance policy. I do it myself for about twenty bucks a pop. Takes all of 30 minutes, and most of that time is simply waiting for as much of the old ATF to drip out as possible. The vehicle is approaching 120,000 miles now. As long as it remains relatively trouble-free and easy to maintain, we'll keep it. Once we're done with it, the same couple who purchased my wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD nearly five years ago wants first crack at it....

Drain-and-fill your ATF on a periodic basis. That's essentially the best advice that we can give you....

Drain and fill, 5 qts required inclusive of the diff'l drain plug, is really only appropriate when the ATF appears dirty and/o smells burned. For my '01 "AWD" that was initially at ~40,000 miles and then again at ~90,000 miles, double drain and fill, days apart, both instances

• 2 weeks later...

I am another one of the victims of the rx300 transmission failure saga. I have a 2001 which failed at 120,000km. Obviously this transmission issue is rampant. If anyone is interested in trying to put together a case please email me at rx300trans@gmail.com.

It was replaced by a 2004 RX330 AWD that has been a much better vehicle. Although Lexus Corporate will never admit it, they learned their lesson from the weak transmission components in the earlier RX generations, and upgraded them beginning with the 2004 model year. Although I believe our RX330's transmission will remain intact throughout its lifespan in our stable, I've continued my drain-and-fill routine of its Type T-IV ATF every 30,000 miles as a cheap insurance policy. I do it myself for about twenty bucks a pop. Takes all of 30 minutes, and most of that time is simply waiting for as much of the old ATF to drip out as possible. The vehicle is approaching 120,000 miles now. As long as it remains relatively trouble-free and easy to maintain, we'll keep it. Once we're done with it, the same couple who purchased my wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD nearly five years ago wants first crack at it....

It is my understanding that as of 2004, the introduction of the RX330, nothing about the transaxle itsself was changed. What was changed was the adoption of DBW in order to prevent the engine from developing torque until a pending or in process gear change could be fully completed, especially a downshift gear change resulting from a quick driver change to acceleration, or more importantly a "re-acceleration" after a brief period of coastdown, throttle closed coastdown period.

The "AWD" VC was dropped but that was more due to the fact that Trac activation made it useless, non-functional, anyway

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 whith 115,000 miles. Out of no where, last week it completely dies on me. Come to find out (after having it towed), the transmission is completely shot. The mechanic said this is not at all the first time he has seen this issue with this make and model. I am in the process of trying to get in touch with Lexus regarding my options. After researching this it appears this has been a MAJOR issue that Lexus needs to deal with. I was in rush hour traffice in Houston, TX and I'm just glad my children were not in the car. This needs to be addressed and I'm on boeard with any action with Lexus.

I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 whith 115,000 miles. Out of no where, last week it completely dies on me. Come to find out (after having it towed), the transmission is completely shot. The mechanic said this is not at all the first time he has seen this issue with this make and model. I am in the process of trying to get in touch with Lexus regarding my options. After researching this it appears this has been a MAJOR issue that Lexus needs to deal with. I was in rush hour traffice in Houston, TX and I'm just glad my children were not in the car. This needs to be addressed and I'm on boeard with any action with Lexus.

Don't expect any voluntary help from Lexus.

None of us, I suspect, are saying the early RX transaxle design isn't flawed, just that our experience, combined, indicates that Lexus wasn't even willing to address these failures back much earlier, so why would they start 10 years "out".

As of the RX330 the flaw was addressed, "papered over" via the use of DBW to prevent rising engine torque until the current gear selection could be fully completed.

Consider yourself lucky, as do I. My '01 "AWD" RX300 is now at ~90,000 miles, I didn't expect to reach that mileage, but certainly not to the level you have reached.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a RX300 and pulled the car fax report. The transmission was replaced at 121,000 miles. It now has 171,000 miles on it. Carfax is missing two years of service to the vehicle and I doubt the dealership changed the fluid. Should I get a drain and fill or a flush?

We only recommend a drain and fill. More people have had problems with a flush afterwards...Make sure to use Toyota Type IV fluid or and alternate synthetic such as Mobil 1 Transmission fluid or AMsoil.

Thank you Lenore! I almost got my GS300 close to 300,000 miles, and I'm aiming to have my RX last that long. I have no clue when the last time the tansmission fluid was changed and I'm sure the dealership didn't do it either. I'll do the drain and fill and maintain from there!

Back when the '01 premature failure reports started pouring into Lexus the initial reaction was to change the ATF change schedule from infinity, life of the vehicle, to 15,000 miles. AS time went on and more was learned about the failure cause(s) that was revised to a check the ATF condition at each oil change and only address the issue if warranted by the ATF condition.

The ATF should be light pink/reddish and be transparent..

At ~40,000 miles my '01's ATF was definitely burned and dirty, and then again at about 90,000 miles.

Based on what I read on the internet I have expected a transaxle failure before now, maybe 120,000 miles...?

I found when I switched to a full synthetic that the fluid stayed pristine...I used Mobil 1 Full synthetic tranny fluid....Others have used Amsoil, and Royal purple....

• 2 weeks later...

Feel so lucky - '03 RX 300 acting funny - not happy backing out of garage! 130,000 miles and the trans is almost toast.

Have to drive with cell phone on and AAA card in hand.

Early look has the trans fluid burned etc. Never been changed and I bet that didn't help. All good highway miles and no

big loads or towing. This is a AWD with towing package etc - which was never used. Normal maintenance on a great

all purpose automobile - till now..

Haven't talked to Lexus yet - based on what I hear on net chatter is that no one will care.!! :wacko:

If you had all service done by lexus, they act more positive to your situation...They could even eat the tranny and only charge you labor...If all service done elsewhere than you are out of luck.

• 2 months later...

What should be a normal cost for trans service and would it be wise to only have Lexus do the service. Just got my new / used 300 and the trans feels bouncy when you try for passing gears. Want to drive.from California to Texas, but leery know.