2007 Gs 350 Trunk Won't Open

Just sharing recent experience. Apparently related to a Lexus Service Bulletin.

Problem: Key FOB, trunk button will not open trunk and you have to manually use the key. (This is not due to override in glove box.)

Took car to Lexus: They unplugged the wiring harness from the ECU (Electronic Control Unit? I guess). Once the harness was plugged back in the ECU reset and trunk works fine now. However they tell me it could happen again.

Cost = $117.00 to reset.

Fix- There is a fix for this as it may happen again. I'm betting the odds and hoping it won't happen again because the fix is $1850.00 for some sort of ECU or harness upgrade that solves the trunk from not working all of the sudden.

Fingers crossed.

Just sharing recent experience. Apparently related to a Lexus Service Bulletin.

Problem: Key FOB, trunk button will not open trunk and you have to manually use the key. (This is not due to override in glove box.)

Took car to Lexus: They unplugged the wiring harness from the ECU (Electronic Control Unit? I guess). Once the harness was plugged back in the ECU reset and trunk works fine now. However they tell me it could happen again.

Cost = $117.00 to reset.

Fix- There is a fix for this as it may happen again. I'm betting the odds and hoping it won't happen again because the fix is $1850.00 for some sort of ECU or harness upgrade that solves the trunk from not working all of the sudden.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks Briar for posting the "FIX". Good to know.

• 11 months later...

Excellent post. Same issue on my 2008 GS350. Took it to Lexus and they told me it would cost over $1600 to fix. Found your post, opened the trunk to disconnect the cable to the ECU. It would require some dissasembly. Leaving the trunk open, I disconnected the main battery ground and waited 5 minutes and reconnected the ground. This also reset the ECU. I closed the trunk and now everything works fine again.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent post. Same issue on my 2008 GS350. Took it to Lexus and they told me it would cost over $1600 to fix. Found your post, opened the trunk to disconnect the cable to the ECU. It would require some dissasembly. Leaving the trunk open, I disconnected the main battery ground and waited 5 minutes and reconnected the ground. This also reset the ECU. I closed the trunk and now everything works fine again.

How can I fix it?

• 2 months later...

BrentRich - thanks for your post. I experienced the same issue on my 2008 GS 350, and I tried your fix and it worked. Simply had to open the trunk, disconnect the ground cable from the battery, wait 5 minutes, and then reconnect the ground cable to the battery. Worked like a charm! Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I need some help please. i have 2005 lexus gs300. I have the same problem as the OP. I tried to open the trunk and then disconnected the main battery ground, I leave it there for 10 minutes. Come back, connect the battery ground, close the trunk, start up the engine and the trunk only works once and then it stops working. I do it again from the beginning and it only works once. Im stuck now. I dont know what to do next. Please help. Sorry about my bad english.

• 5 years later...

I have same issue, they key won't even open the trunk. The only way we can open is the emergency latch by sticking broom handle through the console hole in back seat.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2013 at 11:24 PM, brentrich said:

Where do I find my ECU?

• 3 years later...

For myself, on my 2011/2012 GS350 AWD, I COULD NOT OPEN my trunk, because I had accidentally unpushed the Valet Trunk lockout button located on the LEFT SIDE of glove box. You can find it under the glove box door, facing out. The button has a label near it. You have to push the button in to have the Trunk work normally.  With the button unpushed, neither the Remote Key FOB, nor the Trunk Release button (next to the Gas Door Release), will work.  The Gas Door Release will work, but the Trunk Release will NOT work, if the Valet Trunk lockout button is in the unpushed position.

7 hours ago, AlaNgo said:

For myself, on my 2011/2012 GS350 AWD, I COULD NOT OPEN my trunk, because I had accidentally unpushed the Valet Trunk lockout button located on the LEFT SIDE of glove box. You can find it under the glove box door, facing out. The button has a label near it. You have to push the button in to have the Trunk work normally.  With the button unpushed, neither the Remote Key FOB, nor the Trunk Release button (next to the Gas Door Release), will work.  The Gas Door Release will work, but the Trunk Release will NOT work, if the Valet Trunk lockout button is in the unpushed position.

So please check this first:  The Valet Trunk Lockout button has to be in the pushed in position for the Trunk to work normally.  Thanks!