Bluetooth Adapter For My Original Navi ?

;)

I would like to add a bluetooth adapter to my original navigation system

to receive calls, make calls, have the address-book in my navigation-screen, see who calls, ............

who did this already ?

what adapters do you use ?

how are your experiences ?

thanks a lot !

;) ;)

Creating multiple threads asking the same question generally doesn't accomplish much. Here is your thread of three days ago: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71883&st=0&p=445990entry445990

There are not very many threads on installing aftermarket Bluetooth systems in older cars like were fairly common several years ago. Perhaps most people who wanted to do it already have. I follow this pretty closely - it's a hobby - and have never heard of anyone being able to retrofit a Bluetooth phone address book interface into an older pre-Bluetooth Lexus navigation system.

I looked at the details for the Quick Connect Harness for a 2003 LS430 this morning and now see the following caution: "This harness is completely plug and play except for 2 speaker connections- instructions are provided. Because the harness connects to just 2 speakers, it is not suggested for the music streaming kits such as the Parrot MK series. In this case, a custom install between the amp and speakers is required - consult your installer."

You could probably also get music streaming with a Parrot MKi kit by hooking it to an FM transmitter like somebody did on a Nokia phone kit on a thread I saw on ClubLexus a year or two ago - I think it was on an older GS. Sound quality might be a problem.

You don't have many options and there are fewer all the time as aftermarket Bluetooth kits fade away as Bluetooth becomes common on even the cheapest vehicles.

;)

Jim,

thank you for your answer.

it is not the same question .......

since my first thread, I have been reading all user manuals of the products I could find .......

and I decided for one product

unfortunately this product does not support bluetooth

so I openened a new thread just for the bluetooth connectivity

I searched the internet, but I think I used not the right phrases .....

because I did not find anything ....

;) ;)

Well then ... I can tell you that virtually any aftermarket Bluetooth phone kit can be installed in your 03 LS430 but it will not interface with the navigation system display. Many people have asked the same question you are asking.

Member Jainla installed an older Parrot kit in his 01 LS430 UL and hardwired everything without using an interface harness and it even plays the phone call audio through one or more door speakers like a Lexus phone system does - I'm sure you can find the thread via a search. It's easier to use a separate speaker and there is plenty of room under the dash to hide one. I think Jaila found that hardwiring a phone kit into an LS430 is more of a chore in an LS430 than in something like my 00 LS400 since the LS430 amplifier is in the trunk.

There are only four main connections for all phone kits - power, ground, mute, speaker. Some kits need both a constant power and a switched power (switched with the ignition switch) although, depending on kit, both wires can sometimees be connected to a constant power source. Of course, most phone kits have a controller and some a display screen that displays the name and/or phone number of the incoming caller.

Whether you install a Parrot kit or other brand, I highly recommend using a Quick Connect harness.

As far as iPod/MP3 connections, consider the interface products from http://www.vaistech.com They have some really nice products for your 03 LS430.

;)

I came to the same conclusion: VAISTECH have the best product for the LS430

concerning the bluetooth-problem:

I really want to interface it to the navigation system and to the steeting wheel controls

I do not want a stand-alone solution

so I will search ........

;)

I really want to interface it to the navigation system and to the steeting wheel controls

I really do hope you find your solution. I've been messing with car phone systems since 1990 and have found it can be pretty frustrating with one of my main frustrations being the lousy work done by so called professional installers. By the way ... the standard controller on the left side of your steering wheel was not for controlling a phone system. A separate steering wheel controller came with the dealer installed Lexus phone system.

The only way - and a completely wacko one - you are going to get a cell phone to display its address book on your navigation screen is to somehow find and install the many components for the 2003 LS430 dealer installed phone system which was designed around only one cell phone - the GSM Cingular/AT&T Nokia 6310i - and partially based on the Nokia CARK-91 phone kits like the ones we still use in our 2000 LS400 and 1998 Camry. You can still view information about the 2003 dealer installed phone system in the owners section of the Lexus corporate website ... here is one of the PDFs: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM9998X/pdf/om1sourc/2003om/lexuspho/section1.pdf

But you really wouldn't want to do that. Although the 6310i had Bluetooth (it was originally the only Bluetooth phone certified to work with the 2004 LS400 Bluetooth system), the 6310i had to be inserted into a hard-wired phone cradle installed in the center console for it to transfer its phone book to the nav system. No other cell phone could be used - only the 6310i and it had to have a particular software version to work. Nokia 6310i phones are available on eBay, were great phones in their day and are visually identical to the Nokia 6340i phones I've bought on eBay by the dozen and which we are still using in our phone kits.

When I bought my 2000 LS400 in 2003, I thought it would somehow be possible to get its steering wheel phone controller to work with an aftermarket phone system. I've given up after what has probably been 100+ hours of research. I considered getting a Parrot UNIKA which is a programable interface between OEM steering wheel controllers and Parrot phone kits and made for use in a limited number of cars but I'd be completely on my own since there are no programming instructions for an OEM Lexus LS phone controller of any model year. Even in 2003, my Lexus dealer had already dropped support for all dealer installed Lexus phone systems - supposedly all their documentation had been discarded or at least that was the story.

Best of luck to you. When you work your miracle, please tell us how you did it. I really would like someone to figure this out.

My next primary car is definitely going to have OEM Bluetooth -- finally got permission from the "boss" (CPA wife) on New Years's day to start looking for the perfect white LS460L AWD to replace the white 2000 LS I've been driving the past 8+ years. (Yes, guys, I decided against that Hyundai Equus since I want what may be my last car to have all wheel drive and power door closers.)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Jim that integrating with the stock wiring system (and speakers) is a pain. In the LS430 (and 400) all the connections for this are in the trunk because that's where the ECU for the phone lives. If you switch the volume up/down and set buttons to phone mode (on the LS430) you can also access the leads for those switches from the trunk connector. Accesing any of this without hacking up the car's wiring harness requires running leads to the trunk; the PDF I put of up the install explains all of this in detail.

If you really really want the OEM style integration there are 2 other options you can explore:

• Raytel (I think it was them) made a product that they claimed would integrate in the Nav screen. I don't think it would work with the standard signaling for the steering wheel buttons and such, but you did see the number come up on the screen. I don't think this product is in production anymore but you might still be able to find it somewhere. I remember the unit was very expensive and hard to find.

• I suspect (but have not been able to prove) that the Bluetooth functionaliy for the '04-'06 systems was wired into the AVC lan bus on top of the original Hands Free wiring. There is a 'Telephone ecu' on the parts list for these models that is located in the trunk, and I bet would connect to the wiring harness in a simlar manner to the old phone units. I'm not sure if you would have to run bluetooth antenna wire into the cabin, but if you can find one off a wrecked '04+LS it might be something to investigate.

Good luck!

-J

wink.gif

I came to the same conclusion: VAISTECH have the best product for the LS430

wink.gif