Used Rx300

NYA VW

Hello All,

I'm brand spank'n new to your club. I had a couple of quick questions for you guys. I want to by my girlfriend a used RX300 for her birthday. I want to get her an SUV because she's kinda short and I want her in a 4WD vehicle.

So with that said:

1) Are there any model years I should stay away from?

2) Are there any major known problems with this SUV?

3) Are you happy with your RX300? Would you buy another one?

Thanks

I acquired a used 99 RX300 2WD in the Dallas area about 20 months ago. It had come off a 3-year lease in Florida. So far, I think these are GREAT cars. They drive and ride like cars versus trucks, get great mileage (19+ in town, 22-24 on the road). Great sound systems, great looks.

Weaknesses so far are few, the biggest one being the high prices that dealers charge for repairs and parts. You can find discounts on parts online, and a good amount of work you can do yourself (or with a buddy).

I replaced a leaking front strut (shock) a few weeks ago, and put a narrative on this site. Work wasn't bad. Used KYB parts and it rides just as good as before. That's the only real repair so far.

Performance is very good for a small car. Fun to drive.

I did have the large master key break up on me, where the screw holds everything together. My second master is showing similar signs, suggesting a design flaw in how these are built. If you are in the basic warranty on the car you acquire, look the keys over closely for cracks, etc. Dealers want $180+ to replace and program these keys, although I got mine from Streetkeys.com for $100 and programmed it myself. I had a local dealer cut the key for an $8.00 charge, since I didn't want to risk having it messed up by just anyone.

I can't say anything out the other years, but I like the 99 very well.

Good luck

Doug

• 2 months later...

As follow-up to my post above about using streetkeys.com for a replacement master transponder key --

For whatever reason, streetkeys.com now charges as as much as the dealer for a replacement RX300 key. Pretty much a joke at this point. Might as well use the dealer and have some support in case something goes wrong.

There have been some issues with RXs built before a certain time period (I think it was January 2001). The engine could develop sludge if it was not properly maintained. Then the engine could fail.

That's really all I have heard of.

Of course, if it was well maintained, you may not have these issues.

Tom

Welcome NYA,

I've owned a 2001 RX since Oct 2003 and have been very happy with my

choice of vehicles. When I was looking, I definitely wanted an SUV (and not

one with the tire hanging off the back). Test drove a MB ML 320, but wasn't

happy with both the ride or noise level. Found a reasonable RX-300 in my

search, made the deal and so far it's been great.

As far as problems, sludge buildup is a concern. You should be able to

get the vehicle's maintainance records if it's been well maintained at a dealer.

Would I buy another? Yes, I would, even if the maintainance is expensive, it's

a quality vehicle.

Just another point for you--I too live in MA, western MA, in the hills. My

RX-300 handles just great in the snow. Definitely, buy one with AWD. Unfortunately

we can't control the winter weather!

PharmGuy

I bought a 2001 RX300 with a build date of 10/00. It currently has 44K miles and in the book it shows as the last performed service at 30K miles. What is this sludge buildup you guys are talking about? I plan on having the service done next week at my local repair shop (owned by a High School friend).

Thanks in advance! :)

I bought a 2001 RX300 with a build date of 10/00. It currently has 44K miles and in the book it shows as the last performed service at 30K miles. What is this sludge buildup you guys are talking about? I plan on having the service done next week at my local repair shop (owned by a High School friend).

Thanks in advance! :)

The sludge problem developed due to lack of oil changes. There is a discussion on the Es forrum.

JPI

Is there a way to check for the presence of this as well as clean it? Also, how often should oil changes be done in this car. My service records in the book indicate the last one was about 15K miles ago although the oil looks fine. :wacko:

My service records in the book indicate the last one was about 15K miles ago although the oil looks fine.  :wacko:

WOW!!! Get your oil changed immediately!! You are only supposed to go about 5k miles between oil changes. ;) Waiting this long greatly encourages sludge.

:cheers:

Hello Folks,

Hope all is well - I'm new to the group and look forward to contributing. I'm considering a 2001 RX 300 4WD and it's my understanding that stability control is standard on the 2001. Should I be concerned that the vehicle I'm looking at doesn't have the "VSC" badging on the doors? Wasn't sure if all the 2001's had the VSC badging or if this is an indicator that they're might have been some body work.

thanks!

:cheers: