Noisy Power Steering Pump

Dark Horse

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a quality additive that would subside the groaning noise on the power steering pump on my 2000 LS400? The pump has fluid in it, so I surmise the bearing is wearing. I got quoted $1,450.00 plus tax to replace the pump (new) and pressure hose including labor from the dealer. Arg!!!!

Some have used a product called Lucas oil and believe it helps with all sorts of ailments -> http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=273&catid=9&loc=show

However, I would take that with a grain of salt. If your PS bearing truly is on the way out, nothing is going to fix it except changing or rebuilding the pump itself. You might try flushing the system and/or making sure the fluid level is correct. Have you made sure the system is devoid of air? Could be a partially collapsed hose? Filter clogged?

Guru,

I just had the car serviced at the dealer last week. There is fluid on the stick of the cap. So, I don't think it is a low fluid issue. We did have a 30 degree variance in temperature within the last 24 hours. How would it get air bound if the fluid is full? The fluid is dark, but not thick so I would rule out an occlusion. I wish I had more faith in the dealer, but I don't. I am grateful for using you as a sounding board. I just may trade it. I know of no independents where I am currently situated. Do you think there is a thermal connection? It is suppose to warm back up tomorrow.

The cars that I have owned over the years took on a different personality when the weather dipped below freezing. Not so much my LS430 but if something is wrong with a part or system, the cold temps can definitely bring out new "characteristics". Like the PS groaning. Being that you are in for a hard freeze tonight (30F) in Sarasota then back into the 60's, you can wait and see how the groaning goes.

You could always scout out the local Toyota dealers in your area. They sometimes will perform service on a Lexus at reduced rates from the Lexus dealer. Does not hurt to ask.

How many miles are on your LS400?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a quality additive that would subside the groaning noise on the power steering pump on my 2000 LS400? The pump has fluid in it, so I surmise the bearing is wearing. I got quoted $1,450.00 plus tax to replace the pump (new) and pressure hose including labor from the dealer. Arg!!!!

Landmar,

That was my thought as well. Everything was fine up until this morning. Typically, the Lexus is in a garage, but we are in the process of relocating and lost interim housing we had for 3 months. 111,000 miles on this 2000 LS400. I shall let it sit until tomorrow afternoon when the temp should reach 70, then start it and turn the wheel and see how it reacts.

I surmise a Toyota dealer would not be cognizant of an idiosyncrasy on a Lexus. I have a Camry too.

The conversation with the local Lexus dealer about there thoughts on a remedy based on my description of the complaint was a real downer.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

By the way, Guru, for your edification, I contacted Lucas Oil in CA. Their power steering treatment is not compatible with Lexus products according to customer service.

I hope all returns to normal tomorrow.

New Club Member,

The Lucas site says "Compatible with all power steering systems and fluids, petroleum or synthetic"

I even called tech support @ Lucas in CA and chatted with a service tech. I asked specifically if their power steering fluid/conditioner was compatible with a Lexus LS400 and he said "Yes, no problem".

Do as you like with your power steering. I certainly do not endorse Lucas products, but I am done trying to answer with your contemptuous attitude.

Guru

This thread mentions a Lexus owner who rebuilt a PS pump with $35 in OEM parts! Lots of other useful info there as well.

I would do more research and shop around before paying a dealer that much. That price is high.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64049

And here are three shops that say they work on Lexus. Calling and talking to them is free. See what they say? I have found quite a few of these types of shops will give free diagnoses.

http://foreignautorepairsarasota.com/sarasota-fl-foreign-auto-repair.htm

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jesses-garage-sarasota?large_photo=1

http://www.yelp.com/biz/encore-motorcars-of-sarasota-sarasota-2

And one last thing...if the groaning continues, get a second opinion!! And a third. Then decide. Good luck.

That makes sense about colder weather impacting PS pumps. Look what the change in weather (plus leaving the car sitting) did to my battery!!

Several years ago, I went through that whole "replacing the power steering pump problem". I have to say, I will never spend that kind of money on this car again. Because I have since learned how to get repairs done for less than dealer prices, using common sense combined with the tools and tips and info that are available online. The hardest part was letting go of the thinking that 'only' a Lexus dealer can do a proper job.

The cars that I have owned over the years took on a different personality when the weather dipped below freezing. Not so much my LS430 but if something is wrong with a part or system, the cold temps can definitely bring out new "characteristics". Like the PS groaning. Being that you are in for a hard freeze tonight (30F) in Sarasota then back into the 60's, you can wait and see how the groaning goes.

You could always scout out the local Toyota dealers in your area. They sometimes will perform service on a Lexus at reduced rates from the Lexus dealer. Does not hurt to ask.

How many miles are on your LS400?

In no way was I attempting to slight you, or anyone else on this forum. Perhaps, Lucas needs to communicate better between Tech Support and Customer Service. I thank you for the clarification. Although, when I plugged in my current zip code no retailers showed up.

If the noise is still there when it warms up, I think I will have someone change the fluid for me.

Best,

Dark Horse

New Club Member,

The Lucas site says "Compatible with all power steering systems and fluids, petroleum or synthetic"

I even called tech support @ Lucas in CA and chatted with a service tech. I asked specifically if their power steering fluid/conditioner was compatible with a Lexus LS400 and he said "Yes, no problem".

Do as you like with your power steering. I certainly do not endorse Lucas products, but I am done trying to answer with your contemptuous attitude.

Guru

Lucky you! That must have been a big relief.

I would like to thank all of you for your support and feedback . Two days after the severe temperature variance the power steering noise has completely subsided.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a few ls400's over the last 20 years and lucas power steering fluid has definitely worked on mine. I don’t perform a full flush, but remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir and replace it with the thick lucas fluid and that noisy groaning stops. I haven’t uses any other lucas product but this has worked great for me for years.