Bought A 2012 Is-F - Got Questions

Hello everyone (:

I'm from Frankfurt, Germany and i just got from Audi to Lexus - i drove a Audi RS6 before but Audis customer service and also reliability is really horrible!

So anyway, we got a huge street here in Frankfurt with every car brand available, so i checked out everything else and in the end got stuck between Mercedes C63 AMG and Lexus IS-F - BMW wasnt in question, i drove a M3 once and i didnt like the sound and feeling - hard to explain - also the BMW salesmen here in Frankfurt are extremly arrogant and act like they're something special - they only dropped their attitude after they knew about my job - also every single person in germany drives a bmw and even M3 - Its always interesting how german luxury cars are so special in the US and in germany everyone has a BMW, Mercedes and Porsche!

It was pure coincidence that i went to the Lexus dealer here - in Germany Lexus isn't well known and a really really rare car brand! So i didnt know anything about it

but i automatically fell in love with a 2008 used IS-F that was standing in the showroom, had 69.000km on it and i wasnt interested in it, but it got my attention!

Later on the IAA Auto Show in Frankfurt i visited the Lexus area and saw that absolutely magnificent Starfire Pearl 2012 Lexus IS-F and fell in love again! So after a long chat

with one of the women there about the leather quality etc. i decided to visit the Lexus in Frankfurt again, and had a test-drive with that used old IS-F - and that test-drive convinced me! Also that extremly friendly, helpful and pretty Saleswoman there convinced me aswell - never had a salesperson in such a good mood! At BMW they all got sticks up their *** - at Mercedes they put you under pressure and at Audi they're often in a bad mood and just play nice

Anyway - so now i ordered a Starfire Pearl Lexus IS-F with white interior and it will arrive in March and i can't wait! (:

Now to my questions!

- I read alot about the Mark Levinson system being bad concerning bass sounds and reliability - I read the threads here, i mostly listen to calm classical music or rock while driving, is it good enough for that?

- Can i use the goodlooking grey/black rims for my winter wheels? What would you recommend? the winter rims they got at Lexus for the IS-F in silver are not likable at all for me

- Is there a huge difference between the hard feeling while driving in an older IS-F model to the new 2012? I read that its more comfortable now, but do you really feel a difference? Lets say you switch between Normal and Sport-Mode - in the old IS-F i didnt feel a change except for the acceleration and steering

- Will i regret the white leather? At Lexus they told me that it is not really sensitive for colored jeans for example - true? Anyone here got a Lexus with the white leather seats and can show me or tell me how they look like after a few months?

- Is there anything else i need to know? anything i shouldn't try out because it voids my warranty? except the usual of course! For example the Nissan GT-R's warranty is voided if something breaks when using launch-control - the is-f doesnt have one but i can do it with it - also what about the brembo brakes? I heard they're very good, i dont intend to drive on a race-track except once at Nürburgring do try it - are they good enough for racing and durable?

Thanks in advance and i will post pictures of course when i got it with a review! (:

Hello Timo, and welcome to your Lexus Owners Club. We hope you enjoy it.

I will try to answer some of your questions as best I can. First, about the Mark Levinson system;

The ML system is very well suited for classical and classic rock. In my opinion it handles highs and mids well, and bass notes are adequate but won't rattle your teeth. For the type of music you like I can't imagine you would be dissappointed.

About the white leather;

In my car, the leather color is parchment... a light cream color. My previous Lexus was also a light color interior. In both of these cars, blue jeans dye did rub off on the corner of the drivers seat from where you enter the car and slide across the seat. BUT, It does come off easily. The detail shop where I take my car uses a basic leather cleaner and rubs it clean. The amount of transfer from the jeans is pretty light and it takes a few months for it to build up enough to notice much.

I would not worry about the white leather.

As for your other questions, I'm not up on those topics. Others will chime in here and help out.

Paul

Thanks for the informative answers! Now i got 2 things less to worry about but of course i'm also interested in other owners opinion on those topics!

I'm glad that the Mark Levinson is okay for what i listen to and that the white leather can be cleaned easily is a relief!

I'd would be also interested in a picture of the white leather seats after being used for a few months

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone (:

I'm from Frankfurt, Germany and i just got from Audi to Lexus - i drove a Audi RS6 before but Audis customer service and also reliability is really horrible!

So anyway, we got a huge street here in Frankfurt with every car brand available, so i checked out everything else and in the end got stuck between Mercedes C63 AMG and Lexus IS-F - BMW wasnt in question, i drove a M3 once and i didnt like the sound and feeling - hard to explain - also the BMW salesmen here in Frankfurt are extremly arrogant and act like they're something special - they only dropped their attitude after they knew about my job - also every single person in germany drives a bmw and even M3 - Its always interesting how german luxury cars are so special in the US and in germany everyone has a BMW, Mercedes and Porsche!

It was pure coincidence that i went to the Lexus dealer here - in Germany Lexus isn't well known and a really really rare car brand! So i didnt know anything about it

but i automatically fell in love with a 2008 used IS-F that was standing in the showroom, had 69.000km on it and i wasnt interested in it, but it got my attention!

Later on the IAA Auto Show in Frankfurt i visited the Lexus area and saw that absolutely magnificent Starfire Pearl 2012 Lexus IS-F and fell in love again! So after a long chat

with one of the women there about the leather quality etc. i decided to visit the Lexus in Frankfurt again, and had a test-drive with that used old IS-F - and that test-drive convinced me! Also that extremly friendly, helpful and pretty Saleswoman there convinced me aswell - never had a salesperson in such a good mood! At BMW they all got sticks up their *** - at Mercedes they put you under pressure and at Audi they're often in a bad mood and just play nice

Anyway - so now i ordered a Starfire Pearl Lexus IS-F with white interior and it will arrive in March and i can't wait! (:

Now to my questions!

- I read alot about the Mark Levinson system being bad concerning bass sounds and reliability - I read the threads here, i mostly listen to calm classical music or post-rock while driving, is it good enough for that?

- Can i use the goodlooking grey/black rims for my winter wheels? What would you recommend? the winter rims they got at Lexus for the IS-F in silver are not likable at all for me

- Is there a huge difference between the hard feeling while driving in an older IS-F model to the new 2012? I read that its more comfortable now, but do you really feel a difference? Lets say you switch between Normal and Sport-Mode - in the old IS-F i didnt feel a change except for the acceleration and steering

- Will i regret the white leather? At Lexus they told me that it is not really sensitive for colored jeans for example - true? Anyone here got a Lexus with the white leather seats and can show me or tell me how they look like after a few months?

- Is there anything else i need to know? anything i shouldn't try out because it voids my warranty? except the usual of course! For example the Nissan GT-R's warranty is voided if something breaks when using launch-control - the is-f doesnt have one but i can do it with it - also what about the brembo brakes? I heard they're very good, i dont intend to drive on a race-track except once at Nürburgring do try it - are they good enough for racing and durable?

Thanks in advance and i will post pictures of course when i got it with a review! (:

Questions

1. the mark levinson is adequate for your taste of music.

2. u can use them but I wouldn't recommend because those are expensive wheels. The OEM are BBS if you look into it. I recommend getting another set of wheels and tires to do your winter driving. Use bridgestone blizzaks or michelins alpine for tires. Check via tirerack.com or a wheel/tire company is your area.

3. Normal and sport mode is different due to the throttle change and the gear ratios I believe. That is why you feel an acceleration when you change to sport mode.

4. I heard that it does stain the leather but if you maintain it well, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you wash your car either once a week or bi weekly and just glance at the seat now and then. Buy a leather conditioner and cleaner.

5. The car is bullet proof since you have the newest model. Just make the headlight housing doesn't bubble up, I hear a lot of it from the 2IS section model year 2011. It should be covered underwarranty.

Enjoy driving her...I love mines still...make sure the mod bug don't bite ya!

All these questions can be found on www.clublexus.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone (:

Now to my questions!

- I read alot about the Mark Levinson system being bad concerning bass sounds and reliability - I read the threads here, i mostly listen to calm classical music or rock while driving, is it good enough for that?

Hi Ti-mo:

Welcome to the club.

Regarding your questions above. I believe the Mark Levinson Stereo is pretty nice and classical music sounds quite well through the speakers. They may not sound the same as the Bose in the Audis but there is plenty of clarity. Bach and Mozart sounds okay, and Tchaikovsky sounds really good. American Jazz sounds really good on the ML.

Regarding the IS-F wheels, I generally don't recommend using 20" wheels for snow driving; too much contact, but you are limited because of the Big Brake Package, which is the reason why I own a Subaru. I would recommend something cheap during winter. ISS Forged Wheels look very good on this car.

Regarding the suspension setup between the 08s and 12s, couldn't really say since i haven't driven the new ones yet. Unlike the M3s the shocks do not adjust so it will be a harsh ride during Normal and Sport modes. I though they did too, but only the throttle response time and the gears shifting are the only noticeable differences.

The coloured jeans issue, haven't really heard anything about that before, but I don't have a tan interior. I love the leather, soft, but I am not a particular fan of the tight front seats. They hold you very well but since the car is so small it's a bit tight for me. I would be cautious with the white; keeping it clean would be my biggest challenge.

As far as the Lexus warranty it's pretty well suited for a semi-race car with a slightly-light-rear-end. The limited slip will throttle down the engine whenever it's needed in normal mode and sometime in sport-mode. I have noticed extensive use of the sport-mode and the paddles can smell up the interior with that clutch burning smell. Lexus does not recommend modifying the car in any way or form unless you're using F-Sport products. I haven;t really challenged this during the warranty period, but you could opt for an intake and exhaust to give it a louder sound. I would check with the dealer before you try that out.

Now regarding the track testing, I am curious to what time you'd get :). I haven't tracked mine yet, but someday I might, and I would have to switch to a larger width wheel and tire on the rear end.

Either way, I think you've bought a fabolous car. it's a lot of fun and because I am one of the few in the Washington DC area diving an IS-F I get a lot of challengers. Either way, you will enjoy the car, and let us know what the car does on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my first IS F this past Friday. I will have lots of questions myself as i learn about the car. Trying to get as much reading and understanding from the owners manual. I have driven corvettes since 1995 but hated the quality issues and having to deal with Chevrolet dealerships. Horrible experiences. Sold my 2008 in 2009 and been without the power for too long.

Elcorbs

• 1 month later...

I just bought my first IS F this past Friday. I will have lots of questions myself as i learn about the car. Trying to get as much reading and understanding from the owners manual. I have driven corvettes since 1995 but hated the quality issues and having to deal with Chevrolet dealerships. Horrible experiences. Sold my 2008 in 2009 and been without the power for too long.

Elcorbs

So what do you think of the car so far?

• 3 months later...

just bought it 3 months ago

and it is just an amazing experience every day.

Hifi is very high quality (often listen to classical music)

cool and smart driving style is very nice

and sport style too !!

i am more a driver than a pilot, but horse power is tremendous while IS-F behavior is very sure and secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly welcome from UK and grats on the car! I am in a similar position having just bought a USB IS-F although it was a MY2010, I totally agree with your decision making for going to Lexus, I've owned an MB, BMW and a Lexus RX no-ne could come close to the customer service and reliability of Lexus which made buying choice easy as it was any car from Lexus smile.gif

Anyway to your questions, the ML stereo is lacking in bass however I still find it a very capable stereo and more than enough for my needs. For your music types I wuld imagine it will be perfect.

You can just keep the normal wheels on and buy winter tyres for them. Probably easier to get over there ( ordered mine when I bought the car at end Dec and was told prob won't get them before the winter has ended! frown.gif

Can't help on suspension.

So far white leather has been fine but then haven't had the car long enough to properly evaluate. Did get the interior protected though just to help make sure jeans don't colour them.

Nothing like that with IS-F so shouldn't worry about it. The brakes are superb and every review has always praised them as one of the best brakes with almost no fade and great stopping power. Only thing to watch is brake dust embedding in the wheels and side of the car, need to clean regularly especially after a hard run.

• 1 year later...