Luxury Car Of The Year

pj8708

Three luxury cars, in three categories, were chosen by Autobytel staff as "Luxury Car of the Year". No Lexus model was included!

Click on the link and check out what I thought was a big surprise from Korea.

Post your response: Do you agree with the choices? What would you have chosen?

http://www.autobytel.com/auto-news/awards/autobytel-2012-luxury-car-of-the-year-108843/

I realize these are very subjective choices, but I'm not impressed. The XF is my favorite of the 3 and probably the least reliable too. No mention of the highly successful new/current 5 series or the soon to be released new GS.

The A7 is a VERY sharp and appealing car.

The Equus I can see just for the novelty.

But the Jaguar XF?!? Lots of other vehicles I'd pick other than the mildly refreshed, several year old XF. What about the new XJ if you're talking about a Jag?

The A7 is a VERY sharp and appealing car.

The Equus I can see just for the novelty.

But the Jaguar XF?!? Lots of other vehicles I'd pick other than the mildly refreshed, several year old XF. What about the new XJ if you're talking about a Jag?

My problem with the Jag. and really all Jags, is reliability. I've always liked the looks and interior styling, but I can't afford the tech that sits in the back seat and the trunk full of parts. It's getting better each model year..but what really sealed it for me when looking around, was what my dealers service writer told me.....My Lexus dealer also carries Infinity, Mini, Volvo, Range Rover, and Cadillac. This particular service writer works the Jaguar, Volvo, and Infinity shop. I asked him about his recommendation for the Jaguar. He said, "In good conscience, I can't recommend you get one. They just have to many little problems that keep you coming back to the shop." That sealed it's fate for me.

^ To some extent I have similar concerns about Audi (and BMW). Specifically A7 doesn't appeal to me (although not as bad as Panamera), for styling comparision purpose I prefer CLS.

In terms of reliability, coming from a Lexus perspective, nothing will compare. But I've come to the conclusion that cars in general have gotten a lot better over the past decade to the point of considering just about all makes. I have one of the worst cars known for reliability (VW) and simply love it. I honestly dont know why they're rated so low in the press. Mine is as solid as any other car ive owned, and I'm approaching 54k miles and 5 years of age. I think technology has elevated all brands to a point where you can put drivable enjoyment at the top of the list of shopping criteria. It really is a neat time to shop cars now! If you're in the used market, I honestly think the 07-08 models are the best built (tail end of the economic boom, right before value engineering creeped in to insulate profit margins).

This list doesn't surprise. The Europeans have been coming on strong over the past 4 years, especially the Germans. Lexus is having an off year due to the earthquake earlier. I wouldnt be surprised if the new model revamps aren't pushed a year or two while they recover the infrastructure in Japan.

PS: If I could afford it, I'd buy that A7 in a heartbeat! But, I think I'm stuck at the redheaded step sister level with VW. Price difference between the two badges is huge, and basically nearly all of the same parts. A trick with the GTI and Passat to fix a squeaky under carriage arm, was a $3 bolt from the A4 that fit perfectly.

IBut I've come to the conclusion that cars in general have gotten a lot better over the past decade to the point of considering just about all makes.

I think this is very true.

As for the A7...how can someone not like this car?

post-564-0-63024600-1325723289_thumb.jpg

post-564-0-75734700-1325723299_thumb.jpg

Paul,

To truly enjoy the Jaguar brand, you must follow this formula:

1. Stick with the cars built during the final years of substantial Ford ownership (2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008). Ford finally managed to infuse its "Quality Is Job #1" commitment throughout Jaguar by those model years, and what resulted was by far the best all-around vehicles Jaguar has ever produced during its long history....

2. You MUST D-I-Y for the majority of your maintenance and repairs once your factory warranty runs out. Jaguar labor rates and parts costs will annihilate your wallet if you cannot service your vehicle yourself. There are excellent Jaguar forums with folks committed to this concept, and they will guide you through the repair process saving you thousands of dollars over the longrun....

3. Take advantage of the massive depreciation suffered by all European luxury vehicles by purchasing at least three model years old, and preferably four or five model years old. You can steal low-mileage, well-maintained Jaguars that sold new for in excess of $80,000 for pennies on the dollar, usually in the $25,000 neighborhood if you drive a hard enough bargain and are willing to walk away if the seller will not meet your best offer....

I have followed this process with our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan since I stole it just over three years ago during the depths of the financial crisis here in the U.S. We've driven it from 16,000 miles to nearly 69,000 miles during that time, and it has been the best overall bang-for-the-buck vehicle I've owned in more than 42 years of driving. I rode the final seven months of factory warranty like a racehorse, getting all the kinks worked out of the car before having to assume complete maintenance responsibility myself once the factory warranty ran its course in July 2009. I've had to do nothing but routine maintenance (oil & filter changes, tires, a couple of new $5 O-rings on the Intake Manifold Tuner valves) since then. Absolutely no complaints. And until I did my research before stealing the car, I was in the "If you drive a Jag, you have to pay for a tow truck to follow you around" club just like you. But this car has proven to be the best highway cruiser we've ever had. I bought it primarily for my wife to use to make her solo round-trips back and forth to Tampa to visit her elderly parents, which she does six to eight times a year. But I love driving this car too, and lately I drive it even more than I do my much-beloved 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-litre V8 pickup that I'll never part with unless some idiot T-bones me in it....

2005-to-2008 Jaguars are elegant, comfortable, lushly appointed, powerful, and drop-dead gorgeous. If you do your homework and plan to take care of the car in the right way (D-I-Y), you can drive a Jaguar for what I call "Honda money". It continues to work for me....

Stay away from the Tata-owned Jaguars (2009 and newer). The passing years will prove that they simply will not maintain the reliability that the 2005 through 2008 Ford-owned Jaguars have shown (and continue to show)....

Paul,

To truly enjoy the Jaguar brand, you must follow this formula:

1. Stick with the cars built during the final years of substantial Ford ownership (2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008). Ford finally managed to infuse its "Quality Is Job #1" commitment throughout Jaguar by those model years, and what resulted was by far the best all-around vehicles Jaguar has ever produced during its long history....

2. You MUST D-I-Y for the majority of your maintenance and repairs once your factory warranty runs out. Jaguar labor rates and parts costs will annihilate your wallet if you cannot service your vehicle yourself. There are excellent Jaguar forums with folks committed to this concept, and they will guide you through the repair process saving you thousands of dollars over the longrun....

3. Take advantage of the massive depreciation suffered by all European luxury vehicles by purchasing at least three model years old, and preferably four or five model years old. You can steal low-mileage, well-maintained Jaguars that sold new for in excess of $80,000 for pennies on the dollar, usually in the $25,000 neighborhood if you drive a hard enough bargain and are willing to walk away if the seller will not meet your best offer....

I have followed this process with our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan since I stole it just over three years ago during the depths of the financial crisis here in the U.S. We've driven it from 16,000 miles to nearly 69,000 miles during that time, and it has been the best overall bang-for-the-buck vehicle I've owned in more than 42 years of driving. I rode the final seven months of factory warranty like a racehorse, getting all the kinks worked out of the car before having to assume complete maintenance responsibility myself once the factory warranty ran its course in July 2009. I've had to do nothing but routine maintenance (oil & filter changes, tires, a couple of new $5 O-rings on the Intake Manifold Tuner valves) since then. Absolutely no complaints. And until I did my research before stealing the car, I was in the "If you drive a Jag, you have to pay for a tow truck to follow you around" club just like you. But this car has proven to be the best highway cruiser we've ever had. I bought it primarily for my wife to use to make her solo round-trips back and forth to Tampa to visit her elderly parents, which she does six to eight times a year. But I love driving this car too, and lately I drive it even more than I do my much-beloved 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-litre V8 pickup that I'll never part with unless some idiot T-bones me in it....

2005-to-2008 Jaguars are elegant, comfortable, lushly appointed, powerful, and drop-dead gorgeous. If you do your homework and plan to take care of the car in the right way (D-I-Y), you can drive a Jaguar for what I call "Honda money". It continues to work for me....

Stay away from the Tata-owned Jaguars (2009 and newer). The passing years will prove that they simply will not maintain the reliability that the 2005 through 2008 Ford-owned Jaguars have shown (and continue to show)....

Some very good information and suggestions. Thanks for taking the time. I truly am in love with my Lexus but.n the future.......?

IBut I've come to the conclusion that cars in general have gotten a lot better over the past decade to the point of considering just about all makes.

I got to tell you, I agree with you, (and that scares the hell out of me). It is a VERY good looking car. It has that classic "moving while it's standing still" look that all manufacturers try for. I'd give it a "10".

I couldn't agree more. why they couldn't see it? ugh :(

• 2 months later...

Lexus/Toyota are in some "retooling" modes. The pendulum swings. I think we'll have to see as the new line up takes shape and what Lexus does with it.

But, to give it to Jaguar? I'd have to see what all the parameters were to fit into this category of "Best Luxury Sedan" because slot of other cars come to mind. The Mercedes S class is way beyond these 3 cars. And I would also put the BMW 7, and the new 2012 Infinity M is ranked very high as well.

And then there's this: http://evanhutchinson.hubpages.com/hub/Citroen-DS9 I'm in love....................