Clunk In Steering

Em91

I have a strange clunking noise that seems to be coming from my steering column. It is quiet audible and sometimes the steering does not return to the straight position unless you help it. Any ideas?

Welcome to the club. Have you checked your Power steering fluid, lately? Also, it would help if you describe what is happening in details, where are the sounds coming from; any vibrations in the steering wheel?

Thanks for the welcome. The clunk occurs when I make either a left or right turn. I also sounds like a crunching noise. It's a little difficult to explain. It's just a constant clunking noise when I turn the wheel. There is no vibration and the car feels fine. The only strange thing is that the wheel doesn't always want to return to the center. You sometimes have to add some force to the wheel to get it out of a turn. It's seems like it is locking in place. Everything else seems fine. I recently changed both upper and lower ball joints because they were bad but the noise still persists. I think it's the steering column but when I checked it it seemed fine. Any clues. Oh I own a 91 ls 400. Thanks for any help

Hello,

If you are talking about a constant grinding like noise when the wheel is turned, it indicates that your powersteering reservoir is near empty. Immediately add powersteering fluid to prevent further damage to the ps pump.

I had the same problem on my 92 LS400. Right now the pump is leaking, and I had to add ps fluid (half a bottle) every month. Usually the problem can be solved by just adding the fluid. The ps fluids you see in WalMart stores will work just fine.

Sounds like:

a) Steering column is binding or

B) Power Steering Gear assembly is failing

I'll assume the tie rod bushings are good = did you replace those with the ball joints?

You could check the brackets/grommets that hold the rack in place - if their worn and allowing movement then this could cause binding.......

It sounds like an axle or a CV boot issue. If you can, I would suggest lifting the car up, and look for leaks/cracks between the front two wheels. Record as many visual problems.

Start from the wheel/wheelhub-towards the other wheel.

It sounds like an axle or a CV boot issue. If you can, I would suggest lifting the car up, and look for leaks/cracks between the front two wheels. Record as many visual problems.

Start from the wheel/wheelhub-towards the other wheel.

I thought CV boots were only on FWD cars.........

But you are correct, UCF3, the "clunk" while turninig is a classice sign of worn CV Joints. My old Honda's always needed new ones @ 150K :lol:

Tried to upload the entire component assembly.....but its 101KB, just barely over the limit.

So - here's the trouble shooting symptoms table:

Good troubleshooting guide. Is it off the software or the books?