Upgrade To Non Mark Levinson System In 08 Ls 460

I would like to do a speaker upgrade in my car. What do you suggest. I already have a sub box and amp. Just want to swap out the interior speakers. And what are the sizes of the interior speakers?

I would like to do a speaker upgrade in my car. What do you suggest. I already have a sub box and amp. Just want to swap out the interior speakers. And what are the sizes of the interior speakers?

Hi Sean,

What one would suggest can only be based on what you want to accomplish. You want to do a speaker upgrade. For what purpose. Crisper highs? Smother or more present midrange? You've got a sub and box baffle,( is that about an 8"?). Do you need less "thump/thud" in the bass line or are you looking for the rap bass that shakes the rust off the brake calipers?

Before anyone can suggest they will need to know some of these things.

Now, for a disclaimer. Lexus uses a network of matched crossovers. Their speakers are usually 8 ohm instead of the usual 4 ohm found in most car stereos. As for the speaker size, I don't know in the LS460. They may share some sameness with the ES350 but I don't know. Try using the large data base on this web site and search for the information on speaker size.

Get back to us and let's see what you want to do.

I'm posting a link that may answer all you questions about specific non-ML speaker replacement. But, you still need to come up with what you want to accomplish in the end.

As a side note; I would NOT recommend placing a separate amp down stream from the head unit. Your asking for major problems that the head unit can not handle. The factory H.U. is about 100 watts output. Not enough to drive nails through your ears, but should be sufficient for normal use. The amp in the trunk (I have the same in my 2010 ES) does a great job of punching out the bass. In my opinion, the biggest problem with the standard system is it's lack of a 5/6 band equalizer.

Let us know how this thread works out.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es350/450555-speaker-upgrade-recommendation-for-standard-2007-es350-non-ml.html

I'm posting a link that may answer all you questions about specific non-ML speaker replacement. But, you still need to come up with what you want to accomplish in the end.

As a side note; I would NOT recommend placing a separate amp down stream from the head unit. Your asking for major problems that the head unit can not handle. The factory H.U. is about 100 watts output. Not enough to drive nails through your ears, but should be sufficient for normal use. The amp in the trunk (I have the same in my 2010 ES) does a great job of punching out the bass. In my opinion, the biggest problem with the standard system is it's lack of a 5/6 band equalizer.

Let us know how this thread works out.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es350/450555-speaker-upgrade-recommendation-for-standard-2007-es350-non-ml.html

Thanks for the input and info guys. I just basically want a lil more bass and loudness from my system. Not looking to spend a great deal of money on a bunch of unnecessary stuff. Just want an enhancement of the stock system with a lil more volume while maintaining clarity.

Well, basically, loudness = power, and clarity = power and crossovers + equalizer + speakers in my opinion. For what you want to accomplish, I would urge you to find a reputable auto audio shop and check out their speakers so you can listen to them instead of buying them online. I would also have them advise you on whether you need an amp, and if so what size will work with your head unit. If their a good shop they should give you straight advice. You already have a sub and amp in the trunk so you should be getting all the low end you need.

Let us know how it goes!

Paul

• 7 years later...

I got a 2008 Lexus ls 460 l and when I got the car the front door speakers were blown I have the ML sound system and I went to Walmart and bought some 6x9s to put In to get sound do you think it would mess up my system 

15 hours ago, Mannyjr1991 said:

I got a 2008 Lexus ls 460 l and when I got the car the front door speakers were blown I have the ML sound system and I went to Walmart and bought some 6x9s to put In to get sound do you think it would mess up my system 

Walmart speakers in an LS460?  🤣

Audio systems can be very particular when it comes to impedance.  Yes, it is possible to trash an amplifier if speakers with incompatible Ohm ratings are used.  I used speakers with incompatible Ohm ratings on a home audio system many years ago but I had to wire in crude adapters and the results weren't ideal.

The following website is about the importance of impedance matching:  https://www.techwalla.com/articles/2-ohm-vs-4-ohm-speakers 

• Like 1