Do Rebuilt Oem Starters Last?

prix

On a quest to find a rebuilt starter for my '94 LS400 (97K miles). I have a bead on a Denso reman for $166 (that's the price after the core is returned, and shipping is free). The description says it's the same starter that Denso supplies direct to Toyota for Lexus (I called and asked). Just rebuilt.

Then I saw the below excerpt, which makes me think rebuilt is NOT the way to go. The excerpt is from member code58 from another thread:

"I am not a big believer in rebuilt of hardly anything at all, the rebuilt hardly ever last very long before they give problems again. Most people and even shops will just throw a rebuilt on, but I have learned in a lifetime in automotive work that I am better repairing what I have than trusting $8. an hour help with cheap parts to rebuilt something that will give me trouble free service for any length of time..."

Thoughts? Should I instead look for a reputable shop to do a rebuild on the starter I have? It's the original.

I thought I was at the end of decision making, but guess not.

Here's the description of what I would be getting for the $166.

DENSO SUPER CLASS STARTER, REMANUFACTURED -- Features a housing re-trapped to OEM specifications and damage-checked for heat warping, corrosion or improper surface alignment, refinished and polished gauged and performance tested commutator, 100 percent voltage tested solenoid coil, 100 percent re-plated with copper terminal bolts, inspected, stripped and high voltage tested field coil, cleaned armature and torque-tested and re-lubricated clutch assembly; A precision designed and performance tested starter.

Condition: New

Product Fit: OE replacement

Quantity Sold: Sold individually

I don't use reman parts over the counter. I have alternators and starter rebuilt at a local auto-electric shop. They return the same part to me, rebuilt. They've done everything from Detroit Diesel to Ferrari starters for me. The cost is $150.00-$300.00 for most of them.

I would never trade in my or my customers parts for someone else s.

That said, if the person installing the starter is not the person supplying the starter, they will warrantee their labour only. So if the reman starter fails, you get to pay labour all over again. A real shop will warrantee both parts and labour IF they supply the parts.

The description you provide doesn't mention new brushes, and "relubricates" the starter drive, which is usually replaced in a rebuild.

Denso starters are very long lived -except for the copper contacts, as many have mentioned to you. They can therefore be repaired. My GS got contacts six years ago - that was all - and continues to function perfectly.

I edited my OP, since the price for that part is $166 (after core return), not $125. My mistake. I don't know a thing about starters, but when I saw 'lubing' etc. in the product description, that raised questions in my mind. And if a mechanic with years of experience (code58) is saying he's seen lots of re-do's with rebuilts, then that just plain scares me. Lots of labor involved in this, and I don't want to have to pay someone to go back in there. I should be able to find a shop who specializes in this..I'll ask around and make sure I get someone with a good track record. Thanks.

I don't use reman parts over the counter. I have alternators and starter rebuilt at a local auto-electric shop. They return the same part to me, rebuilt. They've done everything from Detroit Diesel to Ferrari starters for me. The cost is $150.00-$300.00 for most of them.

I would never trade in my or my customers parts for someone else s.

That said, if the person installing the starter is not the person supplying the starter, they will warrantee their labour only. So if the reman starter fails, you get to pay labour all over again. A real shop will warrantee both parts and labour IF they supply the parts.

The description you provide doesn't mention new brushes, and "relubricates" the starter drive, which is usually replaced in a rebuild.

Denso starters are very long lived -except for the copper contacts, as many have mentioned to you. They can therefore be repaired. My GS got contacts six years ago - that was all - and continues to function perfectly.

On a quest to find a rebuilt starter for my '94 LS400 (97K miles). I have a bead on a Denso reman for $166 (that's the price after the core is returned, and shipping is free). The description says it's the same starter that Denso supplies direct to Toyota for Lexus (I called and asked). Just rebuilt.

Then I saw the below excerpt, which makes me think rebuilt is NOT the way to go. The excerpt is from member code58 from another thread:

"I am not a big believer in rebuilt of hardly anything at all, the rebuilt hardly ever last very long before they give problems again. Most people and even shops will just throw a rebuilt on, but I have learned in a lifetime in automotive work that I am better repairing what I have than trusting $8. an hour help with cheap parts to rebuilt something that will give me trouble free service for any length of time..."

Thoughts? Should I instead look for a reputable shop to do a rebuild on the starter I have? It's the original.

Starter motors are typically a DIY "reman". Clean/lub the bendix, clean/sand the commutator, new brushes and solenoid contacts, good to go.

Thanks. What is a Bendix? I got a quote today from a starter/battery shop for rebuilding my existing starter for $95. I asked what parts they would overhaul and/replace, and he said 'everything'. I asked if they would replace the starter drive and he said 'yes'. He's been in the business for 40 years and has high ratings on yelp (I realize this may or may not mean much). He said he does not recommend buying OTC rebuilts, because sometimes they don't fit, or they will start making odd noises. Warranty on labor for 1 year, and 4 year warranty on the part. For now, the car is starting up just fine...but who knows for how long. I want to be ready when/if it stops working.

Starter motors are typically a DIY "reman". Clean/lub the bendix, clean/sand the commutator, new brushes and solenoid contacts, good to go.

That sounds a bit too cheap - the contacts are about $20.00 wholesale, brushes he might get aftermarket for about $10.00 and then labour added to that.

Your starter doesn't have a Bendix drive - it has an over-running clutch, used on most starters for fifty years now. Last Bendix I saw was on a Ford flathead V-8 I had - a 1949.

Oh, OK (re the Bendix). Tx.

I thought his price was too cheap too. I'm going to call him again (or maybe drive over for a face to face). He has amazing reviews in social media and sure came across as an stand up kind of guy. But I question how he could do all this for the price quoted. When I asked that today, he said his guy can do the work of other mechanics in half the time, and that this person has been working for him since 'day one'. 40 years, in other words. I just don't know. I do like his price ... but want to be sure I am getting the right thing done...car is still working for now, so I have a little time to investigate and decide...

That sounds a bit too cheap - the contacts are about $20.00 wholesale, brushes he might get aftermarket for about $10.00 and then labour added to that.

Your starter doesn't have a Bendix drive - it has an over-running clutch, used on most starters for fifty years now. Last Bendix I saw was on a Ford flathead V-8 I had - a 1949.

That's what I am worried about. I don't want someone else's starter. I want this one rebuilt. I will stand there and watch them do it, if that is what it takes. Ha ha. He quoted me to rebuild THIS one. Not including labor to remove or reinstall it, how long should it take a really experienced person to rebuild THIS starter? If I know what a reasonable timeframe is for the rebuild, that will help me decide whether the quote they gave makes sense. Is this something someone can do in, say, an hour? Tx.

That

"..everything..."

Meaning I'll send yours off to be rebuild but here's one already rebuild in exchange. SOP for any parts house.

That's what I am worried about. I don't want someone else's starter. I want this one rebuilt. I will stand there and watch them do it, if that is what it takes. Ha ha. He quoted me to rebuild THIS one. Not including labor to remove or reinstall it, how long should it take a really experienced person to rebuild THIS starter? If I know what a reasonable timeframe is for the rebuild, that will help me decide whether the quote they gave makes sense. Is this something someone can do in, say, an hour? Tx.

That

"..everything..."

Meaning I'll send yours off to be rebuild but here's one already rebuild in exchange. SOP for any parts house.

The last one I did myself used a planetary reduction gearset and was out ("standard" side mount [experienced??]) and back in within 2 hours. I know of no reason why a quality rebuilt shouldn't last as long as the OEM. These days with DBW, EFI, and coil-on-plug ignition starter motor duty cycle is extremely low.

Based on this info, I would say he could do what he outlined in the time promised (rebuild THIS starter). Good.

That

"..everything..."

The last one I did myself used a planetary reduction gearset and was out ("standard" side mount [experienced??]) and back in within 2 hours. I know of no reason why a quality rebuilt shouldn't last as long as the OEM. These days with DBW, EFI, and coil-on-plug ignition starter motor duty cycle is extremely low.

I replaced a starter on a Toyota Previa using the OEM rebuilt unit. It has run flawlessly for over 4 years. I looked it over with the Toyota parts guy when it came in and he thought it was a new unit sold as a rebuilt part - it looked so much like a new one. I trust the Denso rebuilt.