Lexus Es300 Questions

You asked, and this older driver will respond. First, an ES 300, like all Lexus and Toyota vehicles, is pretty much bullet proof. Yes things will need to be fixed from time to time, that's just the way it is with owning a mechanical device as complex as these cars are. And that's my point here. Some replacements are VERY expensive, when compared with other, less expensive cars on the market. As is the insurance for a first time driver. You really should be considering a much less expensive ride for a number of reasons as well as these. My advice is to get a good, reliable Toyota, Mazda, or Honda. An older model from the same year will cost you a lot less to own and run. Save your money for your education to get you to where you need to be, and then when you score that good job that you're happy with, and that will put you on the road to financial security, take another look at a Lexus. Don't rush in and find that you've bitten off more than you can chew.

Actually there is little difference between a ES300 and a Camry in insurance cost, and repair costs are equal across the board as long as you don't take it to a Lexus dealer.

Sure a Lexus is a fancy car but lets not be too uppity about it, it is a 12 year old Lexus. I see no reason why he shouldn't go for it.

Welcome to the club.

Here is a thought on the top of this section you may or may not have noticed a topic called FAQ . It is very handy ,as i have spent well over 6 hours writing it.You might find it answers many of your questions.

I see no reason why he shouldn't go for it.

I agree :D ! I got my first Lexus when I was 16 last year(moved to a '95 LS recently). I say get it BlueDevil! The ES is a fine first car. It was really easy to learn how to drive in this car. Everything is real simple and clear...gauges, dash layout, etc. Good fuel economy from the 6 is always a plus too.

Mechanical problems are few and far between. Find a new or nicely used set of OEM Lexus Factory Reapir Manuals on ebay. Skip the cheap $30 CD alternative. These Lexus books tell you how to take the car apart down to the bare frame. I learned a lot about the mechanics of a car on the ES with the help of the repair manual and my dad. The ES is very easy to service yourself of you don't have the extra $ to take it to your neighborhood Lexus dealer.

If you are going to pay your own insurance, you might want to look elsewhere. Even with my good student and drivers ed. discounts, my parents still pay in the $2k a year range. Some say that your location has a lot to do with it...I live in New Orleans that has a high crime rate, so this might have something to do with it. Just grab the VIN on the '92 and call your insurance agent.

Major problems that you might run into...humm. Just make sure that the previous owner changed the oil every 4k miles to prevent engine gel. Burnt needles and grinding antennas are also common problems. Also, I hear that the '94's and up have a more reliable engine(1MZFE) and tranny. If you are over 6' you might want to skip the ES, and move into a LS. I learned this the hard way...$$$ lost when I sell the ES.

Anymore info about the '92?? Let us know how it turns out for you.

:cheers:

Agreed! A 92' ES 300 is an excellent choice for a first car. Be carful to make sure the vehicle is in good shape first & read the FAQ that skp has advised. If you have (or know of) a good mechanic to get the car inspected would be a wise idea before you purchase it & try to get the service records if there is any.

:cheers: