Replace Rear Power Sun Shade

sapeluso

I have a 2005 ES330 with a dead rear power sun shade. Can anyone provide details on removinf the rear seat and the rear deck. I need to remove both to get at the sun shade.

Thanks...

When you say dead, have you checked the fuse for the shade to make sure it's not blown? On my previous 05'- ES330, it was a 10amp fuse, but I can't remember if it was in the cabin fuse block or the fuse block under the hood.

I have never removed the rear seat or deck. Someone else will come along and add some more info. Also, do a search of the forum and see if you'll find more information.

I would imagine that the rear seat removes like on most other Toyota models and my LS400. Jerk up the seat cushion from the lower front edge - it can take quite a bit of force. Once the seat cushion is removed, you should be able to see the lower bolts/nuts holding the seat back in. Slide the seat back up to remove. If it is still held in, there may be some upper bolts or nuts to remove. Look in the head rest area but it may not be like on my LS.

Most rear seats are removed by pushing at the front edge of the cushion towards the rear of the car, rather hard, and then jerking the front up. You will have to do this on both sides of the cushion, as there is a locking hook located on both sides. From there its as described by 1990ls400. Good Luck!

I have a 2005 ES330 with a dead rear power sun shade. Can anyone provide details on removinf the rear seat and the rear deck. I need to remove both to get at the sun shade.

Thanks...

When you say dead, have you checked the fuse for the shade to make sure it's not blown? On my previous 05'- ES330, it was a 10amp fuse, but I can't remember if it was in the cabin fuse block or the fuse block under the hood.

I have never removed the rear seat or deck. Someone else will come along and add some more info. Also, do a search of the forum and see if you'll find more information.

It's not the fuse. It does move, just doesn't track properly.

I would imagine that the rear seat removes like on most other Toyota models and my LS400. Jerk up the seat cushion from the lower front edge - it can take quite a bit of force. Once the seat cushion is removed, you should be able to see the lower bolts/nuts holding the seat back in. Slide the seat back up to remove. If it is still held in, there may be some upper bolts or nuts to remove. Look in the head rest area but it may not be like on my LS.

How about removal of the rear deck. That has to be removed to replace the shade. Any thoughts on that? Does the Center brake light need to be removed first?

How about removal of the rear deck. That has to be removed to replace the shade. Any thoughts on that? Does the Center brake light need to be removed first?

I'm not absolutely certain if the high mounted brake light housing has to be removed but, if even if it does not, it might make it easier to then remove the package shelf. I can't tell you how the brake housing is removed on your ES but the one on my LS is held in place by two plastic spring clips at the front edge and takes only seconds to remove. Interior components on various Toyota and Lexus models seem to be held in place using similar techniques as in our Camry and LS.

I spent about 2 minutes doing a search of our postings and found this, a step-by-step guide to removing the back seat, bottom and back, and rear deck, and with PICTURES to show the steps.

However, as I found out from the author, the sun shade is NOT attached to the rear deck. This write up is originally for removal of the sub-woofer but is the same process for getting to the rear deck.

As for how do you get the sun shade out, use 2 different search methods; 1, Use the standard method you see when you click on "search" at the top of the page. I used "remove rear deck". Try also "remove sunshade" or any thing else. 2, Toward the top right side of the page is the tool I like the most. This is the small white bar that says "search" in faint print. Type in your search words. In the forums box chose Google then go. If you don't come up with anything after all this, hopefully members will continue to post and someone will know the answer to your questions. It's more likely that the step-by-step guide and photos will do the trick.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60009

I spent about 2 minutes doing a search of our postings and found this, a step-by-step guide to removing the back seat, bottom and back, and rear deck, and with PICTURES to show the steps.

However, as I found out from the author, the sun shade is NOT attached to the rear deck. This write up is originally for removal of the sub-woofer but is the same process for getting to the rear deck.

As for how do you get the sun shade out, use 2 different search methods; 1, Use the standard method you see when you click on "search" at the top of the page. I used "remove rear deck". Try also "remove sunshade" or any thing else. 2, Toward the top right side of the page is the tool I like the most. This is the small white bar that says "search" in faint print. Type in your search words. In the forums box chose Google then go. If you don't come up with anything after all this, hopefully members will continue to post and someone will know the answer to your questions. It's more likely that the step-by-step guide and photos will do the trick.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60009

Thank You. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I just read that the motor for the shade is in the trunk under the deck. You might try getting in the trunk and seeing if the shade can be removed from there.

I did look and it does not appear that the shade can be accessed that way. Local Lexus dealer did advise you had to remove the rear deck to access it.

I note that the thread on the sub-woofer replacement was for an older model Lexus. Do you think it is still applicable to a 2005?

Thanks

I just read that the motor for the shade is in the trunk under the deck. You might try getting in the trunk and seeing if the shade can be removed from there.

I did look and it does not appear that the shade can be accessed that way. Local Lexus dealer did advise you had to remove the rear deck to access it.

I note that the thread on the sub-woofer replacement was for an older model Lexus. Do you think it is still applicable to a 2005?

Thanks

As the diagram shows that Jim, (Bad Santa) just posted, your right that you can't get to it from the trunk. Look at the diagram and you'll see the shade tracks mount to the shelf under the rear deck, or "package shelf" as is the proper name. It does look like you will have to remove the fabric covered top of the package shelf and then you should see the mounting brackets for the shade. All any of us have to go by are these postings and diagrams since none of us have done this, and so far no one else has chimed in that has any first hand knowledge.

Keep everyone informed.

Thanks

As the diagram shows that Jim, (Bad Santa) just posted, your right that you can't get to it from the trunk. Look at the diagram and you'll see the shade tracks mount to the shelf under the rear deck, or "package shelf" as is the proper name. It does look like you will have to remove the fabric covered top of the package shelf and then you should see the mounting brackets for the shade. All any of us have to go by are these postings and diagrams since none of us have done this, and so far no one else has chimed in that has any first hand knowledge.

Keep everyone informed.

Thanks to all. I'll get to this afTer the holidays AND KEEP YOU POSTED.

• 1 month later...

OK - I delayed long enough. Got around to replacing the sunshade today. The directions in the thread regarding replacing the subwoffer are spot on and get you 99% there. I'll add the following comments as respects the sunshade replacement:

1) As noted in the subwoffer thread, removing the seat back is a royal PITA. Get someone to help you

2)Removal of the latch anchor bar on the passanger side - not really necessary if you have the tools to get at the seat belt anchor bolt which lies under neath it. I did not remove it and it did not create any issues.

3) I removed the sholder harness retainers from the top of the seat back (3 screws on the two end ones, 2 screws in the center one. This allowed me to completely remove the seat back from the car

4) With a sunshade, the rear deck lid is split at the sunshade. Two clips hold the front section in place. Follow the directions in the sub woffer thread to remove it. To remove it, you really need to also remove the trim pieces from the two sides as they wrap the deck lid on the front. Not an issue. Be careful but they pop off fairly easily. I also pushed the sholder harness througn the deck lid so that I could completely remove it. There is a trim piece where the harness goes through the deck lid. This pops off easily. Just thread the harness through the opening.

5) I removed the center brake light. Slide it towards the passenger side and slip your finger under it. Pops right off. Unplug the light.

6) The rear portion of the deck lid comes off very easily. There are 4 plastic clips that fit into slots in the sunscreen body

7) 6 bolts hold the sunscreen in place - 4 on the back side, 2 on the front. It's kind of tight. Helps to have a spotter on the outside pointing out the location of the bolts. The 2 in each rear corner are a pain to get at due to the proximity of the glass.

8) Reassemble. Raise and lower the sunscreen after each piece of trim is installed to be certain that it doesn't hang up on anything.

Took me about 3 hours.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support.

• 8 years later...