2011 Gs Cracked Center Console

I purchased my 2011 GS 350 brand new. It has less thank 6K miles on it, and it is well taken care of. At some point the center wooden console developed two cracks. There is one going from the ashtray, left to the edge, and another going from the right side going to the passenger cup holder. The dealer/service department will not cover it under warranty. There was absolutely no abuse or misuse. They offered good will reduction in repair cost, but I don't feel I should pay anything out of pocket for something that has to be material and/or assembly related. This car is not even one year old. Service management won't budge. Has anyone else had this problem? Why wouldn't this be covered under warranty? Thanks in advance for any help.

I purchased my 2011 GS 350 brand new. It has less thank 6K miles on it, and it is well taken care of. At some point the center wooden console developed two cracks. There is one going from the ashtray, left to the edge, and another going from the right side going to the passenger cup holder. The dealer/service department will not cover it under warranty. There was absolutely no abuse or misuse. They offered good will reduction in repair cost, but I don't feel I should pay anything out of pocket for something that has to be material and/or assembly related. This car is not even one year old. Service management won't budge. Has anyone else had this problem? Why wouldn't this be covered under warranty? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Jim, and welcome to the LOC.

What specifically did the dealer sight as the reason this problem is not covered under the "bumper to Bumper" warranty? Like you, I would assume this would come under materials and workmanship.

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

I assume this is the dealer you bought the car from? If so go back in and ask to speak to the GM if the service manager is unwilling to get this fixed for you. If the GM won't budge let them know your next call is going to be to Lexus and your dissatisfaction with the dealership. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my dealer would fix it at no cost to me whatsoever. I can't imagine any reason they wouldnt fix it other than an accident or if it would appear that you cracked it somehow?

Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the replies. The service manager said he had not seen anything like this before. So, he took pictures and sent them to Lexus manufacturing. The response was that "one crack would indicate material issues, but two must mean it was tampered with." I again assured them honestly that there was no tampering or misuse at all. I will try the GM today. This is very frustrating.

request/kindly demand a meeting with the service manager, the general manager of the dealership and the regional Lexus customer service representative. Unfortunately that panel piece is about $900 online. Tell them that if they do not replace it, then you will move all your service business to another dealership and recommend to all your friends on and offline that they do so as well. The dealership stands to lose more revenue in lost service than they will by replacing one panel. Ask them to show you in print where their "bumper to bumper" warranty states that this piece is not covered.

If you have a friend who is a lawyer, bring him to the meeting. Threaten small claims court. This will mean that someone from the dealership will have to show up on the court date, again a loss of revenue for the dealership. People's time is money and if the people are not at the dealership, then they are being paid to be elsewhere (ie. court). You follow me.

It's worth a try to use minimal scare tactics.

steviej

Is it in the wood itself? Or the clear acrylic over it? Can you post pics?

Never seen or heard of this before... most likely a manufacturing defect.

Try to find a used piece on eBay. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I contacted the JM Enterprises CEO and also the Margate, FL GM, but there was no reply. I ended up contacting Lexus customer care directly, which said they would investigate the situation and get back to me. There is now a third crack that starts from the edge cup holder (closest to the armrest) and ends near the Leather. I cannot tell without finding a magnifying glass, but I believe the cracks are on the wood itself (under the acrylic). Lexus customer care called back today saying that there was nothing else they will do. Stating that they are scratches caused by "external force." The service center first said that they will cover 50% of the repair as goodwill. I had explained again, that this should be covered. They came back and said they would do the repair for a $250 deductible, again good will. At this point it really isn't about the money, just the fact that I can't get warranty coverage when I insist, there has been no abuse, excessive force, etc. I am disappointed that this will be my last purchase, and we were ready to upgrade the RX to a GX. I am attaching the photos the service department sent to Lexus for assessment.

Based on my experiences, the first thing I would ask would be: "Do you have a wife, girl friend, child, mother-in-law, etc. who drives or rides in your RX"? :huh:

I've had some pretty odd damage done to cars, appliances, houses - on and on - by family members who didn't understand the impacts (pun intended) of their actions.

My all time favorite was when dents mysteriously started appearing in the top of a small furniture-like refrigerator in a living room. Wife said she had no idea what could be causing the dents. One day I observed her slamming ice cube trays on the top of the refrigerator to loosen the cubes. While she was in "mid-slam" I asked her again if she knew what could be causing the dents -- again she said that she didn't know. And you don't even want to hear about the cosmetic damage she's done to cars.

I still think small claims court is your best alternative to a $250 hit. It cost almost nothing to file, and will force them to PROVE that the cracks are from your actions. I don't know how they could do that, and how they could escape the warranty clause. It is such a small amount of money that I believe any judge would rule inyour favor since no one likes a bully.

Paul

I still think small claims court is your best alternative to a $250 hit. It cost almost nothing to file, and will force them to PROVE that the cracks are from your actions. I don't know how they could do that, and how they could escape the warranty clause. It is such a small amount of money that I believe any judge would rule inyour favor since no one likes a bully.

Paul

Small claims courts must operate differently and more efficiently in Des Moines. :wacko: People who seek redress in small claims courts are often so poor that they have few other options that don't involve firearms. A Lexus owner suing in small claims court? - An interesting concept and one that will likely NOT amuse a judge.

Paul

Small claims courts must operate differently and more efficiently in Des Moines. :wacko: People who seek redress in small claims courts are often so poor that they have few other options that don't involve firearms. A Lexus owner suing in small claims court? - An interesting concept and one that will likely NOT amuse a judge.

Who cares if it amuses the judge? They aren't there to be amused. Take them to small claims court, file a complaint with the better business bureau or go into the dealership and ask for the GM and explain that this is in not acceptable...if his/her dealership is not willing to make the repairs under good faith you will simply never buy another car from them and you will make sure anyone you know is aware of how you have been treated.

Now I am going to ask why is Lexus saying these are scratches? If they are cracks then I would have a problem with them pushing it off as scratches. Maybe call back and speak to a supervisor.

You guys are funny. You'd actually spend hours getting to court for a measily $250 with the likelihood you will get nothing and completely alienate a car dealer you might actually need in the future? Two words: "reality check".

BTW, I've got a large panel of otherwise flawless Lexus console wood with a long crack in the finish in a box out in the garage - crack was caused by an impact which did not even dent the wood. I took a photo but the crack doesn't show up.

You guys are funny. You'd actually spend hours getting to court for a measily $250 with the likelihood you will get nothing and completely alienate a car dealer you might actually need in the future? Two words: "reality check".

BTW, I've got a large panel of otherwise flawless Lexus console wood with a long crack in the finish in a box out in the garage - crack was caused by an impact which did not even dent the wood. I took a photo but the crack doesn't show up.

I think the point is beyond the $250 bucks. Why should he or you pay anything for something that your/their contract says they agreed to. When you bought your LS, or when this gentleman layed out $40-50 grand for his GS would you think Lexus might pony up for a measly $250 bucks? Seeeeez.

It really boils down to this. If your dealer wont take care of a nit like this, what will he do when the valves go bad like they did once before. I don't think I'd worry to much about alienating the dealer because he has already alienated the customer. Remember, we, are the customer, not Lexus.

No personally I wouldn't. My time is far more valuable than that...I have already said I would GO IN the dealership and sit and wait until the GM came out and saw me and show him exactly what was wrong and let him tell me to my face that he would not fix it.

It could be that the reason that they are not going to cover it is because to them it appears to be caused by the owner...if so ask them. I had a situation with my RX330 where the sunroof actually came off of the tracks and bent the tracks up. At first they told me it wouldn't be covered...when I said are you kidding me let me talk to you supervisor they said we are going to take care of it for you. Had they not fixed it under warranty I would have been extremely *BLEEP*ed. I can't believe a dealer that you bought your car from is not willing to work with you at all. If they are willing to go 50/50 with you they must not be convinced that you did the damage to it. I still think the best bet is to talk to the GM.

No personally I wouldn't. My time is far more valuable than that...I have already said I would GO IN the dealership and sit and wait until the GM came out and saw me and show him exactly what was wrong and let him tell me to my face that he would not fix it.

It could be that the reason that they are not going to cover it is because to them it appears to be caused by the owner...if so ask them. I had a situation with my RX330 where the sunroof actually came off of the tracks and bent the tracks up. At first they told me it wouldn't be covered...when I said are you kidding me let me talk to you supervisor they said we are going to take care of it for you. Had they not fixed it under warranty I would have been extremely *BLEEP*ed. I can't believe a dealer that you bought your car from is not willing to work with you at all. If they are willing to go 50/50 with you they must not be convinced that you did the damage to it. I still think the best bet is to talk to the GM.

I started this thread to see if others have experienced the same issue and also solicit ideas/suggestions for help given my situation. So, I do appreciate all of the comments and time taken, thanks. @Paul A. you get it. As I mentioned before, it is not about the $250, just the inability to get warranty coverage (which I believe I am legally entitled to), and the blow off from both the dealer/service and Lexus customer service. In the beginning they said I must have tried to pry up the console - which makes no sense at all, nor can I conjure any example of why anyone would want to on a brand new car. Lastly they said I scratched it with excessive force - which if you saw it, makes less sense than trying to pry up a wooden console (I see that my pictures didn't upload. So, I will try again tomorrow for what it is worth). In the end, I really do love my RX and my GS, but I am so incredibly disappointed by this. Maybe it would be a different story if I bought the GS used or it was more than a year old (with surely more than 6k miles after 11 months). But, it is not.

I started this thread to see if others have experienced the same issue and also solicit ideas/suggestions for help given my situation. So, I do appreciate all of the comments and time taken, thanks. @Paul A. you get it. As I mentioned before, it is not about the $250, just the inability to get warranty coverage (which I believe I am legally entitled to), and the blow off from both the dealer/service and Lexus customer service. In the beginning they said I must have tried to pry up the console - which makes no sense at all, nor can I conjure any example of why anyone would want to on a brand new car. Lastly they said I scratched it with excessive force - which if you saw it, makes less sense than trying to pry up a wooden console (I see that my pictures didn't upload. So, I will try again tomorrow for what it is worth). In the end, I really do love my RX and my GS, but I am so incredibly disappointed by this. Maybe it would be a different story if I bought the GS used or it was more than a year old (with surely more than 6k miles after 11 months). But, it is not.

I hope I didn't come across wrong...I absolutely understand and would just as be frustrated as you are. I have a hard time believing a dealership will loose your business over $250? I would not call but go in to the dealership.

I imagine that the GM has already been aware of the issue since it was kicked up to Lexus Customer Service. They had the pictures that the dealer sent to them and Lexus would have called the dealer to determine what the settelment would be. But, making an appointment with the GM/owner might get you farther than a showroom ambush. I'm just saying that in talking to the people at my dealer who are close friends, Lexus rides them pretty hard when things get to the point where the customer calls Lexus.

Personaly, I would probably be so p.....ed of by now, that I would drive the car into the service drop off, get out, take the keys, and walk away. LOL......Yeah, would'nt do any good or help me out, but sure would feel good watching them try to figure out what to do with that car.