93 Sc400 Vacuum System Problem With A Loud Fuel Pump

katynel

I have read this forum countless times for info and it is time for me to jump in. I have a 93 SC400 V8 with 158,000. As most of you know, that doesn't mean it is ready for the scrapheap like a chevy.

I had issues with keeping my car from stalling out, running rough, and fluctuating idle. I took it in a while back and the mechanic said it was the fuel pump. I was a little skeptical, especially at his prices. It was replaced with a new one. Still didn't fix my car. He checked the catalytic converters, and O2 sensors, both fine. He then felt since my computer was not indicating an issue,(no codes) and he could not communicate with it, I needed a new Engine computer. I opted for rebuilt with warranty.

Ran great, better than ever for about 10 miles of running around town. Parked it. Next day started it up, it's back!! This time I had an issue getting past park. It kept dying in Park along with the other previous symptoms. Had it towed in, and this guy now says it is my transmission. Really?? Sounds to me like an issue arose with the rebuilt engine computer. Plus I now heard a sound of air that was either being sucked in or blown out, under the hood. He said he checked both and they were fine. It is my transmission. He used to do transmissions exclusively. Hmmm. I had a 10 second delay when shifting from Park to drive. He told me take it home dont' drive it until you can get it fixed.

I let it sit for 2 months, since my son's truck needed repairs as well. My battery died within less than 2 weeks. I was ready to get a second opinion when but needed to get my battery jumped. Lifted the hood with my neighbor's help and the negative side of the battery cable clamp was half broken and barely on the terminal. Plus there was a vacuum line that had been attached (but broke off)to a hard plastic nipple coming off the side appendage of the intake tube going above the intake hose and attached to the manifold.

We fixed the issue with the battery. I am only assuming the small amount of electric that had been available had screwed up the computer(hence the shift issue) or it was from the vacuum leak having an issue reading things properly and kind of flaked out. Tried to adhere the small vacuum line back to the tube with the broken nipple still attached. (super glue) It held for the moment ran beautifully for 15 minutes. I had stopped to go into the store. Came out tried to start. back to the same old thing. But, my transmission had shifted beautifully with no issues, and you could hear that new fuel pump in the back going on and off. It was louder than I had heard it before. We tried using a black adhesive from the parts store, but that didn't even work as well as the superglue had. Is it my intake tube with the now missing nipple attachment that I will now have to replace and/or the fuel pump. There just is no way it is the transmission.

I would also like to ask what else I should be considering. I haven't found a new mechanic yet, and I want to be informed about the possible solutions when I find someone to take care of it. Also, since we know the vacuum line that broke off is an issue is there another solution, other than what I have tried, that does not involving replacing a $200.00 part for a 1 inch piece of plastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok i had almost the same problem but mine was when i slow down on the stop light the died and as soon as i turn the ignition off and restart it starts just fine after two week when the is hot it will start just cut off so what i use to do was start it and push gas pedal and it will stay on first somebody said it was the fuel pump i bought after market and it did not solve the problem and it was noisy so i when on and bought fuel pump ecu on ebay and it solve the problem.you problem is bit diffent but i am just telling you what i experience in the past.