1992 Ls 400 Engine Light

pierce1

My lexus ls 400 92 model recently would not run, it had no power and smoke coming from the engine. It was towed to a shop where they installed a new ignition coil, plugs and wiring. Also repaired a hole at the cat exhausts next at the front. The ran fine for a fews hours, after running for approx. 30 minutes the engine light came on agaieen, it took it back and they did the wire diagnostic test and it showed a code of 25, that fuel was lean. I have to take it back so they can run the flow chart tests. Could it be the fuel pump, filter, etc. The fuel flter was changed as 80,000 miles. It now has 137,000 on the car. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on. Each time I take it back to the shop, something else goes wrong. The break line was repaired. It also needs a new steering rack which is leaking. There is a whinning sound coming from the vehicle. My power steering seems fine, does not get hard to steer. Seems like I'm haveing to replace a lot of parts on this vehicle. Although it is almosst 20 yrs. old. Any suggestions is appreciated. I also noticed the rmp neddle was stuck a 2000 when I accelerated the engine in parked position it would not come back down. Also when driving it also stuck at 2000 and when slowed down did not come back down, after I drove it a little further it finally came back down when I slowed down and stopped. Also the mechnic said that the throttle cable was alittle frayed, the gas pedal was hard to press and finally it got loser. One problem after another.

pierce1,

Do you know if the ignition coil was defective before it was replaced? If one of your coils had gone bad, you would experience the symptoms you described - engine smoking from near the firewall, rough running, etc. Also, one side effect of the coil going bad is combustion of gases in the catalytic converter (and possible damage to the front Oxygen sensors and either the #25 or #26, or both codes being triggered).

If you check your Oxygen sensors first, you may be able to narrow down the problem. You probably already are aware that the O2 sensor input to the ECU regulates the fuel flow (together with input from several other sensors - MAF, Temperature, etc.)

Also, can you post whether anything unusual happened before all these things came up?

Hope this helps.

My lexus ls 400 92 model recently would not run, it had no power and smoke coming from the engine. It was towed to a shop where they installed a new ignition coil, plugs and wiring. Also repaired a hole at the cat exhausts next at the front. The ran fine for a fews hours, after running for approx. 30 minutes the engine light came on agaieen, it took it back and they did the wire diagnostic test and it showed a code of 25, that fuel was lean. I have to take it back so they can run the flow chart tests. Could it be the fuel pump, filter, etc. The fuel flter was changed as 80,000 miles. It now has 137,000 on the car. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on. Each time I take it back to the shop, something else goes wrong. The break line was repaired. It also needs a new steering rack which is leaking. There is a whinning sound coming from the vehicle. My power steering seems fine, does not get hard to steer. Seems like I'm haveing to replace a lot of parts on this vehicle. Although it is almosst 20 yrs. old. Any suggestions is appreciated. I also noticed the rmp neddle was stuck a 2000 when I accelerated the engine in parked position it would not come back down. Also when driving it also stuck at 2000 and when slowed down did not come back down, after I drove it a little further it finally came back down when I slowed down and stopped. Also the mechnic said that the throttle cable was alittle frayed, the gas pedal was hard to press and finally it got loser. One problem after another.

You can "spoil" an oxygen sensor even in the short term by allowing atmospheric oxygen to reach it while it's still heated, hot. Having this happen over a long period of time, leaking exhaust, might well mean you need a new sensor.