6-speed? 5-speed?

Mandingo

I have a 4 week old 2004 LS430 that is advertised as 6-speed in the brochures but when I logged on to the Lexus Owners area it decribes it as "5 SPD AUTO":-

Make: Lexus

Model: LS 430

Year: 2004

Exterior Color: SILVER

Transmission Type: 5 SPD AUTO

Body Type: SE

When I manually change gears the highest it goes is "5th"?

I'm sure there's a sensible explanation but can someone explain this discrepency?

The 04 doesnt have a shofter like ours 99, its PRND and manual mode which is where you can shift manually and downshift for engine braking.

The 04 is definately a 6 speed.

Gotcha,

Mandingo,

Another way is to "listen and count" the shifts as your start from dead stop. You should count "5" shifts for the "6 speed".

OK, the web site says mine's a 5-spd and when I shift from auto to manual it always goes to "5", not "6".

But when I just tried to push it up another gear I magically found 6th. It was hiding there all along.

So panic over, their web site is wrong.

Now, the 04's are supposed to have 4 wheels, one on each corner, right? :blink:

OK, the web site says mine's a 5-spd and when I shift from auto to manual it always goes to "5", not "6".

But when I just tried to push it up another gear I magically found 6th. It was hiding there all along.

So panic over, their web site is wrong.

Now, the 04's are supposed to have 4 wheels, one on each corner, right? :blink:

:blink: You lost me.

The Lexus website says:

"Performance

- 4.3-liter, four-cam, 32-valve 90° V8 engine. Certified Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (U-LEV)

- 290 hp @ 5,600 rpm, 320 lb-ft @ 3,400 rpm torque

- Continuously Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)

- 0 to 60 in 5.9 seconds [1]

- 1/4-mile acceleration: 14.5 seconds [1]

- Top track speed: 131 mph (electronically limited) [1]

- Aerodynamic drag coefficient: 0.26 with standard suspension or available Euro-tuned Sport Suspension (0.25 with available Adaptive Variable Air Suspension)

- Six-speed sequential-shift automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i), and power and economy switch

- Rear-wheel drive with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [2] integrating Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Traction Control (TRAC) system

- Estimated fuel consumption: 18/25 mpg city/highway [3]

- Vehicle-speed-sensing, progressive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering, 3.52 turns, lock to lock

- Available Adaptive Variable Air Suspension with automatic load leveling

- Available Euro-tuned Sport Suspension (requires 245/45WR18 tires [4])

- Front suspension: Independent, double-wishbone with high-mount aluminum upper arm, coil springs, gas-pressurized shock absorbers with internal rebound springs, anti-lift and anti-squat geometry, stabilizer bar

- Rear suspension: Independent, double-wishbone with aluminum upper arm and carrier, coil springs, gas-pressurized shock absorbers, anti-lift and anti-squat geometry, stabilizer bar

- 17 x 7.5-in alloy wheels with 225/55HR17 tires [4]

- Available 225/55HR17 all-season tires [4]

- Available 18 x 7.5-in Lexus Chrome Wheels [4] (Requires Sport Suspension option) "

Lexus.com 2/29/2004--21:11.

You must have missed that part on your initial inspection. :cheers: