Is This Oil Sludge?!

Hi, Ive had my 2006 RX400h for less than a month. I took the oil cap off, and there is a black layer of crusty oil. Is this a sign of the oil sludge? I do notice a nudge at 40 MPH exactly that doesnt just go away as if it were the engine kicking on. Im very worried. I have 78k miles. Will Toyota fix it if its sludge, or will I have to?

Hi, Ive had my 2006 RX400h for less than a month. I took the oil cap off, and there is a black layer of crusty oil. Is this a sign of the oil sludge? I do notice a nudge at 40 MPH exactly that doesnt just go away as if it were the engine kicking on. Im very worried. I have 78k miles. Will Toyota fix it if its sludge, or will I have to?

No, its not sludge. There is a baffle inside the cover that Toyota for whatever reason has coated with something that looks like crusty burned oil. Probably for sound deadening reasons. Why they coulldn't make it shiny metal...who knows?

If you look at my TSB post that is stickied at the top of the forum, you'll find a tsb warning not to push down on the baffle when filling with oil. There is also a tab for 'rocking feeling at 40mph' that might be what you are experiencing.