My 2008 Es350 Running On Regular Gasoline

TexasComputerMan

I have now burned my third tank of regular gasoline in my 2008 ES350. So far, I cannot tell the difference, except the cost of the fillup. The car is running perfectly and my gasoline mileage is the same as when I was using High test. I do not see a difference in performance either. There must be some, but I cannot detect it. I will keep you all up to date as the months rollby.

I have now burned my third tank of regular gasoline in my 2008 ES350. So far, I cannot tell the difference, except the cost of the fillup. The car is running perfectly and my gasoline mileage is the same as when I was using High test. I do not see a difference in performance either. There must be some, but I cannot detect it. I will keep you all up to date as the months rollby.

Thanks for the update. It should remain that way for you. I ran regular in my '07 after using premium the first few months of ownership and didn't notice any difference. I've run regular only in my '10 with the same results. Beginning with the 2011 models, regular is finally recommended for the ES350.

I don't know if you two have been involved in any of what seems to be dozens of conversations about this very subject. It never seems to end. If you haven't already a search of the board for this topic would give you a book full of information and opinions.

I don't know if you two have been involved in any of what seems to be dozens of conversations about this very subject. It never seems to end. If you haven't already a search of the board for this topic would give you a book full of information and opinions.

I've followed all of the discussion on this topic and am in the camp that using regular is fine, but can understand if someone is more comfortable using premium in the 2007-2010 models.

Thanks for your reply LexBob2.

Since you've followed all of these discussions,lol, you know then it's like the old riddle of which came first, the Chicken or the egg. Myself, I have always used Regular; 89 octane, w/10%ethanol. This blend is every where in Iowa simply because we make more ethanol than anyone else. and it is cheaper than straight regular at 87 octane. It is commonly used by our Lexus dealer.

Any way, this is one of those things where everyone will believe their own data and use what they think is best. In my opinion, use what the Owners Manual says and you'll never have trouble with your warranty.

Paul

Merry Christmas

I'm new to the Lexus ownership. I purchased a 2010 ES350 CPO with 28,000 miles less than a month ago. After learning that Lexus changed their octane recommendation on the 2011's and the countless online dicsussions I've read. I switched. So far, I've not noticed any difference. (1,000+ miles)

Love the this forum! I've learned a lot just reading the threads from the past. There is a lot to learn here.

Happy Holidays!

Steve

I'm new to the Lexus ownership. I purchased a 2010 ES350 CPO with 28,000 miles less than a month ago. After learning that Lexus changed their octane recommendation on the 2011's and the countless online discussions I've read. I switched. So far, I've not noticed any difference. (1,000+ miles)

Love the this forum! I've learned a lot just reading the threads from the past. There is a lot to learn here.

Happy Holidays!

Steve

Welcome Steve to the Lexus Owners Club! It's good to hear that you've already found information that has been helpful.

Keep on posting with your questions and let us learn from you as well.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Although not happy with my 07 ES350 that much, when we bought in 2009 dealership said they only put regular in all Lexus models.....we've run 87 only. Runs fine. 23-24 mpg local stop/go...... 32-33 on trips consistently. So from a gasoline standpoint and mpg for nice size vehicle, we've been happy.

FWIW, we just got home from our first long highway trip in our "new" 2008 ES. Over 1000 miles RT from home to Las Vegas.

Burned regular gas the whole way. Wow! Regular in Las Vegas was 50 cents more per gallon than in Utah or here in Colorado.

Average gas mileage for the entire trip was 28-29. Highway speed averaged 75+ for most of the trip and there was lots of uphill & downhill.

We're quite pleased with the car. MUCH more comfortable and less tiring to drive than our 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 we traded for the ES.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy to be a New Member of the Forum! I've read many conversations about this topic & the verdict seems to be 87 octane. I've filled mine with 87 this weekend and it seems to run just fine. This forum is Absolutely Awesome!

Thanks,

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

All modern cars are controlled by computers. If the computer senses knock, it slightly retards the ignition timing until the ping goes away. Engine knock is the ONLY reason to use premium. Yes, you lose a little power this way, but who would notice?

The car talk guys recommend regular fuel for any regular car. It's all I've used, but I'm kinda cheap...

You CAN run regular in most modern cars, but you can also subsist on cereal too. I just don't understand buying an expensive car, and running cheap gas robbing it of its performance. Its like buying an HDTV, and not getting the HD package with your cable.

Now, on a car like the Lexus...it probably doesn't matter. BUT, a higher compression BMW engine for instance, you will have noticeably reduced performance.

You CAN run regular in most modern cars, but you can also subsist on cereal too. I just don't understand buying an expensive car, and running cheap gas robbing it of its performance. Its like buying an HDTV, and not getting the HD package with your cable.

Now, on a car like the Lexus...it probably doesn't matter. BUT, a higher compression BMW engine for instance, you will have noticeably reduced performance.

I think Steve has it right here.

Can verify that no difference detectable in my 2011 es, and not from personal experience, but from the literature, performance oriented engine, as in BMW, the difference should be noticeable.

Gave my es a couple of tries with the high octane stuff, and I do not get gas until it is bone dry, so it was all high octane, and, yeah, no full out 0-60, lol, but drove it "hard", and could tell no difference at all.