WiFi will likely be offered in Lexus cars since it already is in Mercedes and BMW.

Hi Jim,

Does the WiFi signal for the car come from a cell tower signal? If so, how do they handle drooped signals as your driving along and varying signal strength? Or is it some sort of satellite setup.

When my wife had a Blackberry we would use the Verizon data service and plug it into one of our laptops while we were driving.

WiFi will likely be offered in Lexus cars since it already is in Mercedes and BMW.

Hi Jim,

Does the WiFi signal for the car come from a cell tower signal? If so, how do they handle drooped signals as your driving along and varying signal strength? Or is it some sort of satellite setup.

When my wife had a Blackberry we would use the Verizon data service and plug it into one of our laptops while we were driving.

Yes, all the automobile WiFi hotspots I've read about are cellular based. It's like putting a wireless router in your car. I just noticed that Audi is also offering WiFi in their cars.

My wife has a cellular dongle from AT&T that she plugs into a USB port on her laptop PC to get Internet service. It and the Internet service on her Blackberry work fine in large metro areas but service is spotty in rural areas. She keeps trying but the Internet service between Kansas City and Des Moines continues to inconsistent. In can be fine at the top of a hill but vanishes as we descend a hill.

I doubt if dropped signals would be handled differently on in-car WiFi than on regular cellular based Internet services on phone or on wireless devices attached to a home wireless router - you would simply have periods in which the Internet browser would be unresponsive.

I keep reading that companies are working on mobile WiMax but I have yet to see commercial offerings. Regular WiMax is used to provide residential services in southern Iowa. If I remember correctly, the WiMax service used by a friend who lives on a farm near Centerville is provided by a municipal water company. The city of Lenexa, Kansas where I live has a WiMax system that covers the entire city but it is only for municipal employees.

My sprint HTC EVO phone has a built in hot spot that will(at an additional cost per month) supply wifi for up to 5 devices. I'm sure if car mfg put in a mobile hot spot it would work the same and cost more than your phone providers service for the same thing.

Jeff

Thanks Jim for the excellent info. I'm going to talk to the accessories/audio manager at my dealer next week and pump him for info about when or if Lexus is going to offer WiFi and what models will get it.

I'll Let you know.

jgR7...Would you share how much the charges are for your Sprint phone Hot Spot service?

I didn't get it but I think it was an additional $30 month.

Thanks for the information!

For me it was to much money but if you travel with a family that all have laptops it might be worth it. My wife and I both have the EVO phones and just use the phone to access the internet if needed and our kids are all grown and gone.

Thanks for the replies! I have my cell phone that I can go online with, but I'd prefer a much bigger screen than my Blackberry offers..... maybe I'll look into that hotspot they offer and see just exactly how much more that is per month.......