Sc430 Transmission

Jeff77

I have a 2005 SC430 and the service manual says the transmission is sealed and never needs service. I have 79000 miles on it and believe I should have the fluid changed anyway. I can't imagine it will hold up indefinitely. Lexus of Portland (OR) says "no need". Any comments, suggestions or experiences with this anyone? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2005 SC430 and the service manual says the transmission is sealed and never needs service. I have 79000 miles on it and believe I should have the fluid changed anyway. I can't imagine it will hold up indefinitely. Lexus of Portland (OR) says "no need". Any comments, suggestions or experiences with this anyone? Thanks in advance.

Hello Jeff77. Welcome to the Lexus Owners Club!!

This is a link to a lengthy discussion from the Club Lexus site. As you'll see the transmission fluid needs to be changed when the fluid darkens or begins to have a burnt odor. The "trany" is not a completely sealed unit and in fact, for a complete change of fluids the transmission pan is droped to drain the remaining fluid that does not come out through the drain hole. Your owners manual probably tells you to check your fluid with the dipstick at 30,000 miles, and every 30k there after. So...If the fluid is dark or if it smells burnt, change it. To keep your peace of mind, change it. But at 79,000 it probably won,t need it until 100,000 miles.

This is important: It is not a do-it-yourself job UNLESS you are an experienced auto mechanic or have done it before.

Paul

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/515641-how-to-change-transmission-fluid-in-sc430.html