Alternative Hose To Ps Return Line

fisher972002

On our troublesome PS systems on the older LS400 you have to make sure all the lines are in tip top shape. When I replaced my PS Pump last year on my 1991 LS, the PS Return hose, or LEXUS PART # 44406-50010 Return Tube Sub-Assembly 1 had visible cracks and just seemed old and it was wet/leaky.

I imagine lots of older LS400's Return hoses are in the same shape. Problem is this hose from Lexus costs $173.83 which is totally ridiculous.

I originally replaced this hose with the NAPA buy by the foot regular "PS Hose" Problem was it was a cheap, no lined hose that folded in half, and I could never bleed the air out of the system. The hose was cheap and thin-walled and nothing like the quality original Lexus Hose..

So, my Brother found a great replacement part for this...

Gates Transmission Oil Cooler Hose, Gates part # 27057 get the 3/8" size. it comes in 3 different sizes, 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2".. Get the 3/8" size, fits perfectly. This hose is 3 times thicker walled than the el-cheapo regular PS hose that I bought a year ago from NAPA pay by the foot Power Steering hose. The Gates Transmission oil cooler hose uses thick rubber is lined with a fiber braid reinforcement and quality wise is on-par with the original lexus hose, but without the bend. But that's ok, because this hose is rigid enough that when you do install, it will maintain the roundness of the hose...

The Part #'s at a few auto parts store match, so not sure if same everywhere, but for example at o'Reilly's it is Gates Part # 27057. The part # for buying by the foot is 27059. Just make sure you get the 3/8". It sells for about $3.49 a foot.

I've attached a few pics of what the hose looks like. You need the thicker walled fiber reinforcement to make the angle from the reservoire to the feed tube... If you use the cheapo PS hoses, the bend is too extreme and the hose will fold and not provide adequate PS Fluid flow....

Also I didn't re-use the factory Clamps, on each end. Go ahead and order 2 new Nice Lined Hose Clamps for clamping this hose one end for the reservoire tube and the other to the PS system. Don't skimp and get

the everyday el cheapo Hose clamps as the teeth will dig into the hose. Get the quality "Lined Hose Clamps" the kind with the metal band that goes around the hose, then the worm gear sinches on that, just get LINES Hose clamps, much better

post-27768-0-61525900-1323974728_thumb.j

post-27768-0-31805600-1323974774_thumb.j

• 1 year later...