Rx330 Headlight Out - Looking For The Best Option

gamesvs

Hello fellow lexus owners. This is my first post - but I've been lurking while trying to find an appropriate solution for our issue.

First off, we have a 2005 rx330. Our passenger side light went out a few weeks ago - took it to the Lexus dealership where they quoted us $1900 per headlight (of course we suffer from the condensation issues the same as so many others). Obviously there's absolutely no way we're going to spend that kind of money... that's absolutely insane. So, I then proceeded to look for some aftermarkets on ebay, prices looked good - until I realized the HID AFS headlights (which I'm pretty sure we have) are still pretty expensive. So, I'm looking for advice. Has anyone downgraded from HID AFS headlights to non AFS? We don't have AFS of any sort on our other vehicle, and while it's "neat" I don't know that it warrants a thousand bucks. As long as the lights are bright and light up the road - I think we could do just fine without the AFS. Is there any issue downgrading? Would the harnesses work just fine or would there possibly be a conflict?

Edit: it looks like if I use this method, we'll get to see the blinking "AFS Off" light for the rest of our lives. So, maybe we're better off just with the following solution?

The alternative, while it might also be a lower budget fix - it might not be as ideal... since it's only the one bulb (passenger side) that's out - I wouldn't be opposed to simply replacing the bulb... however, the condensation issue remains, and I worry that it will lead to bulbs going out again or further issues (with the ballast). I saw a little "how to" addressing sealing the lights, but they're already pretty messed up on the inside (visible rust). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean these up, seal them well, and just replace the bulb - in other words, has anyone done this and been happy with the results?

Sorry for my rambling. Hopefully my questions provide enough information for some responses. Thanks very much in advance!

Edited by gamesvs

Hello fellow lexus owners. This is my first post - but I've been lurking while trying to find an appropriate solution for our issue.

First off, we have a 2005 rx330. Our passenger side light went out a few weeks ago - took it to the Lexus dealership where they quoted us $1900 per headlight (of course we suffer from the condensation issues the same as so many others). Obviously there's absolutely no way we're going to spend that kind of money... that's absolutely insane. So, I then proceeded to look for some aftermarkets on ebay, prices looked good - until I realized the HID AFS headlights (which I'm pretty sure we have) are still pretty expensive. So, I'm looking for advice. Has anyone downgraded from HID AFS headlights to non AFS? We don't have AFS of any sort on our other vehicle, and while it's "neat" I don't know that it warrants a thousand bucks. As long as the lights are bright and light up the road - I think we could do just fine without the AFS. Is there any issue downgrading? Would the harnesses work just fine or would there possibly be a conflict?

Edit: it looks like if I use this method, we'll get to see the blinking "AFS Off" light for the rest of our lives. So, maybe we're better off just with the following solution?

The alternative, while it might also be a lower budget fix - it might not be as ideal... since it's only the one bulb (passenger side) that's out - I wouldn't be opposed to simply replacing the bulb... however, the condensation issue remains, and I worry that it will lead to bulbs going out again or further issues (with the ballast). I saw a little "how to" addressing sealing the lights, but they're already pretty messed up on the inside (visible rust). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean these up, seal them well, and just replace the bulb - in other words, has anyone done this and been happy with the results?

Sorry for my rambling. Hopefully my questions provide enough information for some responses. Thanks very much in advance!

Only real solution here is replacement of the unit. There are some band aid type fixes you could try, but itll probably be more of a headache than it's worth. Now the question is how hard and where you look for that replacement. If I were you, I would replace the bulb for now, to keep you going, and then search for a replacement unit. I'd search wreckers, and ebay to start. You'd be surprised what you find online. Get the part # for the unit in question and search on that, not just a generic Headlight for RX type of search. And if you just stay persistent and diligent on the search, you may luck out, I have in the past.. May be your only option if you don't want to spend the price for new.

Thanks Bainzey - I decided last night that I will focus on learning more about the current parts - then, once fully educated, purchase a bulb (and likely ballast) to replace. Additionally, I'd like to look at cleaning up the current units, removing all water and wiping them down on the inside and perhaps applying some sealant to help prevent further moisture/condensation damage.

First off, don't even attempt to repair or re-seal your headlight. It ain't gonna happen. I've had extensive experience working with Lexus headlights, and once they leak, no amount of GOOP, silicone, or jesus glue is going to prevent them from producing condensation down the line. Trust me, i've been there...

And i'd stay away from aftermarket replacements... Try to look for a used 07-09 Rx350 headlight with your specs (HID with AFS).

The headlights for the 07-09 Rx350 models are identical (in size and fitment) to yours except the seals were modified to not cause condensation. If you get a used one, simply install the ballast, bulbs, and you're good to go. <_< Just make sure the one you buy is 100% guaranteed to have come from an 07-09. Sometimes sellers either lie or don't know the year it came from...

Three versions of headlights were created fir the 04-09 RX330/350/400h:

1: Projector, HID, Auto-leveling, AFS.......(the version you have)

2: Projector, HID, Auto-leveling, no AFS

3: Reflector, Halogen, no Auto-leveling, no AFS

"Theoretically" you "could" install the second version (Projector, HID, Auto-leveling, no AFS) on your car, as the plugs would match up, however you would notice a difference in the projector beam. Although the projectors "look" the same for both type1 and type2 headlights, they are not. The projectors for HID with AFS are MUCH better, both in intensity and width. The projectors for HID without AFS don't have the same "cutoff" pattern (the line between light and dark) and if you had one side headlight with the different projector than the other, you'll notice the difference. One side will be brighter than the other, and the "step" pattern of the cutoff will be different as well.

You can get used headlights from an 07-09 (which were re-designed so they wont produce condensation) with your specs for ~$100 each on ebay used. No need to buy new...

And for bulbs, they too are on ebay for ~$50 used. DO NOT buy a new bulb for the side that's burned out unless you're replacing the other side bulb too. HID bulbs change color and intensity with age. If you have an old bulb in one side headlight and a new bulb in the other, you'll notice the difference. IMO i would buy either a used bulb to replace the one burned out, or i'd buy two new ones. Ebay sells them new for ~$200/pair.

And do you know if both your bulb and ballast are bad? It might just be one or the other... No sense buying both if only one is the problem. <_<

Thanks cduluk so much for the tip on the 07-09 RX350 headlights! I'll do just that! A quick look at ebay, none of them appear to mention AFS - any suggestions on a part number to look for?

Would this be about right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RX330-RX350-RX400h-Passenger-RH-Xenon-Headlight-AFS-2004-2009-/120816240053?fits=Model:RX350&hash=item1c213585b5&item=120816240053&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Thanks again cduluk! Really appreciate the help from experienced lexus gurus!

Well, having the part numbers won't help much, as most (if not all) sellers will either A: look it up incorrectly, not realizing there are so many versions, or B: not include it.

Your best indicators of AFS vs non-AFS versions is to look for the AFS motor itself, and note the color of the lens holder rings on the front side of the projectors.

AFS headlights will have this black box (with a white plastic piece behind it) attached to the bottom of the projector.

vidte8.jpg

And AFS headlights have "silver metal" lens holder rings. Look at the 1/4inch ring around each projector lens. This holds the lens in place on the projector.

etyttv.jpg

non-AFS versions won't have the AFS motor at the bottom of the projector.

2eq6srm.jpg

And non-AFS versions have a "black" lens holder ring.

14vti50.jpg

And the one for sale on the link you posted does have AFS (note the silver metal lens holder, and AFS motor on the bottom of the projector (it's encased in white plastic) however the seller doesn't indicate the exact year it was taken from. I'd look for a seller who notes the EXACT year it came from... Not "07-09" or "04-06", but either 07, 08, or 09. Most sellers will give a "range" even thought they haven't the slightest clue what year the part actually came from. <_<