Advice For 1999 Es300

DobieG

On Wednesday, I'm picking up a 1999 ES300 Coach Edition that only has 13,677 original miles. The current owner said all the maintenence up to this point had been done by the Lexus dealer. The car has not been driven for nearly 5 months, the previous owner (the seller's father) passed away shortly before Thanksgiving in 2003. Should my first trip be to the Lexus dealer to have the oil checked? I've read up on the gelling problem and I'm wondering if the low mileage and little use of the car (especially in the last 5 months) would make the problem worse. Are there any other areas I should look out for in a car w/ such low mileage?

The car is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! It's in great exterior condition - still smells new. It's drives like a dream, as well. I'm so excited to get my hands on it! I'm going from a 96 MaximaSE and I'm looking forward to the luxury I'm trading up to.

Thanks so much for the advice!

I agree with amf, the 10,000 mile service would be a wise idea. Afterwards, take the car for a nice long highway drive. I too traded my 01 Maxima for an 01 ES and am very happy with my car. Good Luck! & welcome to the club. B)

I would actually get the 15,000 mile service done early. That tranny fluid has been sitting for 5 years with little usage. It may be fine, but I play the safe side.

Also have them check the belts, they are rubber but also 5 years.

Check the boots on the cv joints. A little silicone spray on the boots wouldn't hurt.

Also have them do a thorough check of the coolant system. It wouldn't hurt to flush out the system and put in new fluid. Inspect the rubber seal on the radiator cap and make sure it hasn't become brittle.

Lastly, load test the battery. Don't be surprised if it needs a little charging.

Fuel system cleaning would help. If the fuel in the tank now has been there for a while, it is not good to sit over the winter.

steviej

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to take the car to the dealer and get the 15,000 mile service. To date (meaning in the last 5 years) there have only been 3 oil changes done. Hopefully, the news will be good! :)

The only *problem* I've noticed with the car is that there is a noticeable "humming sound" that comes from the speakers. I have the Nakamichi system and the hum is always there, but it usually drowned out by the sound of the music. I've been able to notice it, though, when I'm listening to talk radio.

Does anybody know of a fix for this, and why it's doing this at all?

Thanks for the advice!

JIM

ps - I really LOVE the car so far. Even though I've only driven it 14 miles, I can tell it's gonna be a keeper! :)

I've noticed with the car is that there is a noticeable "humming sound" that comes from the speakers.

Maybe it's humming 'cause it doesn't know the words. :lol:

Seriously though, I think the radio will probably have to come out to be checked by a technician.

yes you cetainly did and it was too funny.

put the car in park and adjust the radio so you can hear the humming.

Does the humming change pitch when you step on the gas and increase the speed of the motor?

I am thinking there might be a corroded ground cable or ground connection somewhere.

steviej

Thanks for the response.

There is no change in pitch when I step on the gas. The *humming* is there from the moment I power on the radio, even with the volume at it's lowest possible point.

-j-

To be a little technical........it's probably a bad filter capacitor inside the radio. I doubt whether you could repair this yourself, unless you're electronically inclined. That's why I feel it should be repaired by a qualified radio technician.

Dobie, now that you answered my question, I agree with Alan. Get it checked by a sound guy.

2nd guestion.........does the G in DobieG stand for Gillis? The young guys in this forum have no idea what I'm talking about.

steviej

Thanks for the response, steviej.

I've scheduled an appointment at the Lexus dealer on Tuesday. I'll have them check it out then.

does the G in DobieG stand for Gillis?

Yup. I always LOVED that show...still do, actually. Come to think of it, I may actually be one the "young ones" but I've always been a sucker for the TV shows my parents used to watch! :D

On Wednesday, I'm picking up a 1999 ES300 Coach Edition that only has 13,677 original miles.  The current owner said all the maintenence up to this point had been done by the Lexus dealer.  The car has not been driven for nearly 5 months, the previous owner (the seller's father) passed away shortly before Thanksgiving in 2003.  Thanks so much for the advice!

The car looks like it's in great shape, but I may be the first one to say this in an odd kind of sense. Call me superstitious, but the fact that the previous owner passed away would definitely make me look the other way if I choose to take over the car. Same thing for me if I were house-searching and just found out that the last owner died for whatever reason.

Like I said, this is just my personal feeling, and you shouldn't take my thoughts seriously or with a grain of salt. Hope you understand what I'm saying, and best of luck with your new ride :)

Call me superstitious, but the fact that the previous owner passed away would definitely make me look the other way if I choose to take over the car.  Same thing for me if I were house-searching and just found out that the last owner died for whatever reason.

Doug, lighten up a little. :blink:

He didn't say the owner passed away in the car.

steviej

Yup.  I always LOVED that show...still do, actually.  Come to think of it, I may actually be one the "young ones" but I've always been a sucker for the TV shows my parents used to watch!   :D

My Dad's name is Maynard. So everytime I see him, I always find myself saying

"Oh, It's you Maynard." :lol:

steviej

Doug, lighten up a little. :blink:

He didn't say the owner passed awat in the car.

steviej

Steve, I know DobieG mentioned that the previous owner passed away, but like I said before, I'm just superstitious when I hear things like that, that's all. I apologize for bringing that up, I don't mean to make this a big deal or anything, so let's just leave it at that :(

Does the humming change pitch when you step on the gas and increase the speed of the motor?

I had the car out for a "real" drive today. I did notice a change in the pitch as the car accelerated. Didn't notice it when the car was in park, but it was noticeable as I drove around. Hmmm?

To lexusk8 - no offense taken towards your comment. :) Far be it from me to pass up a good deal! :D

a hum from the car is usually one of a couple things. The main ones are the radio ,did you try turing it off?

Or the transmission fliud being low and the gears spinning without being submerged completly , did you check the fluid?

a hum from the car is usually one of a couple things. The main ones are the radio ,did you try turing it off?

The hum is actually coming from the radio. The hum from the speakers, though constant, intensifies slightly as I step down on the gas pedal.

Then it is likely either the main ground for the battery or the alternaotr ,the alternator is which is more likely.Mine does the same thing as well ,it need to be rebuilt i found it did decrease once i changed my wiring on the battery.

15k miles service went well! No oil gelling - yeah! I also had them check (service) the points that steviej mentioned. The only things I need to get (in the near future) are new tires. Otherwise, the mechanics and service managers were amazed to see a 1999 with less that 14,000 miles on it. :)

Regarding the *humming* from the speakers: they are going to need the car for an entire day to remove the stereo and components to diagnose the problem(s). I'm not so sure I want them removing the stereo. I'm afraid I will start to experience phantom rattles. The same thing happened in my Maxima when I had stereo problems.