Would you let a computer override you driving to prevent a crash?

Steve

Every year, 1.3 million people are killed and 50 million injured on the world’s roads. Carmakers are racing to create a vehicle that will never crash, but can it be done and will drivers accept a computer that overrides their driving? Would you let a computer override you at the wheel?

There are already systems on cars that override what the driver is doing.

Stability control systems take control of the throttle and automatically apply the brake on selective wheels to prevent loss of control. It's wonderful!

Mercedes is selling cars that automatically brake - even to a complete stop - if the system senses you are going to crash into a vehicle in front of you. There are systems on cars that sense if a person is drifting out of their lane and to notify them in one way or another.

For the last several years Google has been testing driverless cars on public roads in the U.S. They do have a human "co-driver" in case something goes wrong.

I'm looking forward to taking a nap while my car takes me to my destination - as long as the guidance system is not made by Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

I appreciate all of the new technologies that help me react at a much faster and thus more reliable pace than I can. In addition to the makes that Jim mentioned, Volvo is marketing a sensor that detects a human in a cross walk , for example, or obstacle in front of the car, and brings it to a complete stop on it's own. Also, Volvo has the radar detection system for highway speed collision avoidance for the car in front of you, and they have the driver blind spot system in the drivers side mirror.

The "override" factor, in my opinion, will be a problem to sell for a small segment of the driving market; The true driving enthusiast who wants to use the freeways and side roads as a road rally, young drivers who care about price and power more than safety, and finally, the truly price sensitive buyer, as all of this technology is going to be EXPENSIVE!

Make the technology easy to use, practical, and affordable. Count me in.

Paul