Temperature Control Panel Not Working

The panel comes on every once in a while but for the most part I cannot turn on the heat/defrost or heat the seats. The green lights come on but not that actual panel lights or controls. I asked the service at a lexus dealership and of course they suggested the $115/hr diagnostic. I would like to avoid this and warm up, it's cold here!

Thanks in advance for any details to help,

N

Sounds like a panel going bad. I would assume it is a solid-state controlled device combo/switch. Maybe the dealer will apply the diagnostic towards installation, if it finds to be the controller? Personally, I'd give it the old "smack" test. If it changed at all on the panel, I'd go to the connector(s), do the "wiggle" test and then go from there.

The panel comes on every once in a while but for the most part I cannot turn on the heat/defrost or heat the seats. The green lights come on but not that actual panel lights or controls. I asked the service at a lexus dealership and of course they suggested the $115/hr diagnostic. I would like to avoid this and warm up, it's cold here!

N

Unfortunately, you probably are not going to be able to avoid replacing the control panel. It would be a miracle if it was just a loose wire or bad solder joint. I don't have a ES300 book but there may be a fuse for those two buttons under the left side of the dash, against the drivers left foot wall. THIS IS A STRETCH. I'm not sure they are separately fused.

A Lexus is an expensive car and can sometimes be expensive to repair. You may find a control panel on ebay or at a wrecker yard. As the other poster suggested, the dealer may allow you to apply the diagnostic labor charge to the labor for installing the new part.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your solutions, it looks like I need to replace the control panel. The heat still hasn't come on! Is this something I can do on my own? I looked on ebay and saw the panels, it looks like I can remove my current and pop in a new one. Or is there something inside the unit that needs to be done?

Thanks again,

Nicole

Thanks for your solutions, it looks like I need to replace the control panel. The heat still hasn't come on! Is this something I can do on my own? I looked on ebay and saw the panels, it looks like I can remove my current and pop in a new one. Or is there something inside the unit that needs to be done?

Thanks again,

Nicole

N

Unfortunately, you probably are not going to be able to avoid replacing the control panel. It would be a miracle if it was just a loose wire or bad solder joint. I don't have a ES300 book but there may be a fuse for those two buttons under the left side of the dash, against the drivers left foot wall. THIS IS A STRETCH. I'm not sure they are separately fused.

A Lexus is an expensive car and can sometimes be expensive to repair. You may find a control panel on ebay or at a wrecker yard. As the other poster suggested, the dealer may allow you to apply the diagnostic labor charge to the labor for installing the new part.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Paul