2001 Es 300 - Engine/trac Light On - P0330

dzcafe

Hello Lexus Owners - I am the proud owner of a 2001 ES 300 Lexus,112,344 miles.

The engine light and trac light are now consistently on, have tried cleaning/changing the gas cap resetting the codes via disconnecting the battery, but the lights come back after 20 miles or so.

I have decided to go ahead and have my local mechanic change out both sensors / wiring harness/ intake gaskets and since half the engine will be off, get them to change out the spark plugs as some of you have suggested. What other maintenance should I perform ? I have some major leaks such as the with the valve cover.

I am trying to keep the other labor reasonable and my mechanic works with me, since the charge for the knock sensors should be a couple of hours, with half of the engine being exposed I want to take advantage of this to perform other maintenance. Any suggestions?

The engine light and trac light are now consistently on, have tried cleaning/changing the gas cap resetting the codes via disconnecting the battery, but the lights come back after 20 miles or so.

I have decided to go ahead and have my local mechanic change out both sensors / wiring harness/ intake gaskets and since half the engine will be off, get them to change out the spark plugs as some of you have suggested. What other maintenance should I perform ? I have some major leaks such as the with the valve cover.

I am trying to keep the other labor reasonable and my mechanic works with me, since the charge for the knock sensors should be a couple of hours, with half of the engine being exposed I want to take advantage of this to perform other maintenance. Any suggestions?

Let me give you some direction that help P0330 Link and Knock Sensor and Knock Sensor replaced

Let me give you some direction that help P0330 Link and Knock Sensor and Knock Sensor replaced

Did your vehicle show any other codes? Im not really one to replace sensors because of age, always test first. Seems like its a parts crapshoot anymore. Be sure to replace the spark plugs with oem style, not the cheapies. I think they take double platinum? I dont recall, be sure to ask the parts people. Also, spark plug wires. Beldens arent cheap, but the fitment was a mechanics dream! Usually I try to stick with a tune-up when I buy a car. After the tune-up, THEN i begin my search for the other things. A scanner with live data and perhaps freeze frame, will save you from spending hundreds on costly parts guessing. Be sure and take care of the valve covers, and dont be surprised when they leak again. Just dont fall into the temptation of replacing things just because youre already there. Always keep in mind of the quality of parts you are replacing it with, and sometimes things dont like to be removed. Kind of a line to walk between "aint broke dont fix it" , and properly maintained. Best of luck, talk with your mechanic, he will help you more than anything else..

Thank you for your time in answering my question. Thanks for the advice, It does makes complete sense to start with the tune up and go from there, I have now asked for the tune up and to use best spark plugs available and will get them to check the spark plug wires as well. They said they can then look at the knock sesor wiring harness to see if it is damaged. Thanks again and I love the dog photo. :) dzcafe.

The 2001 ES300 used iridium spark plugs like my 2000 LS400 uses - the recommended change interval is 120,000 miles. When I had the iridium spark plugs on my LS changed, the old plugs looked like brand new - not a hint of burning or other deterioration. The engine did not run any better with new iridium spark plugs and I suspect that the original spark plugs might have lasted the life of the car. I do, however, recommend following your car's maintenance schedule and replacing the spark plugs at 120,000 miles.

I doubt if you need to replace your spark plug wires either. Have them tested if you are concerned. This isn't the 1960's - today's ignition system wires usually last the life of a vehicle. I'm certainly not going to change the spark plug wires on our Camry V6 - same engine as the ES.

• 11 years later...