Time For A New Car

nc211

I'm prepared to spend around $50k to replace both cars, with a budget of $30k for my wife's car, and $20k for mine. Hers will be first, as mine is still covered under the CPO warranty for another 18 months and 23k miles. Hers, the 4Runner, is not, and at 110k miles, is due for the expensive stuff.

So what's involved with the 100k service? from what I've read so far it doesn't look like much, fluids-flush, hoses and belts, rotors and pads, maybe shocks too. Was the 90k service done on it?--the timing belt, water pump, plugs, fuel filter and maybe the head gasket.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm prepared to spend around $50k to replace both cars, with a budget of $30k for my wife's car, and $20k for mine. Hers will be first, as mine is still covered under the CPO warranty for another 18 months and 23k miles. Hers, the 4Runner, is not, and at 110k miles, is due for the expensive stuff.

From what I've heard on the T4R forums, the 4Runner is practically bullet proof. Although I have not reached 110k miles yet (only at 62k on my 06) so far I don't have any issues aside from the occasional "clunk".

They're tough, no doubt. But not tougher that NJ and IL winter road salt! That's what is causing the problems underneath and on the wheels. When SW0 was helping us buy a house here in September, I had an emergency $850 repair for new front brake calipers that had rusted so badly they had seized on to the rotors. $850 was the band aide repair too, not the new pads and rotors that it needs as well. Rears are there now too, and to look underneath, is not a pretty sight. Can't justify the expenses when we're ready for something newer anyway.

They're tough, no doubt. But not tougher that NJ and IL winter road salt! That's what is causing the problems underneath and on the wheels. When SW0 was helping us buy a house here in September, I had an emergency $850 repair for new front brake calipers that had rusted so badly they had seized on to the rotors. $850 was the band aide repair too, not the new pads and rotors that it needs as well. Rears are there now too, and to look underneath, is not a pretty sight. Can't justify the expenses when we're ready for something newer anyway.

Well, can't really say much about why your situation calls for another vehicle. To me fixing the truck is cheaper than replacing it, and the shop you're going to is charging way too much. You should be able to find a local Toyota mechanic whose rates are generally 25-50% less than dealer labor. For genuine parts I can put you in-touch with my distributor if the mechanic you choose doesn't have access to one.

Oh, for the salt issue, wash your truck (with undercarriage) frequently to slow-down the corrosion problem. Self-serve car washes have high-pressure washes. Some bodyshops offer spray-on undercoating. Helps stop corrosion in large areas.

I guess I'll run against the grain somewhat on this, and I'll probably hear about it. But, quite frankly sometimes you just want a new car. Yeah, it might be cheaper to fix the present one, or the "practical" or "common sense" thing to do, but life my friends is very short. I'm not advocating spending money you don't have, but I'm also not promoting throwing good money after bad. What I am promoting is to allow yourself to thank that old vehicle for it's service and buy the new or newer one just because you want to.

Within the last day, I was exchanging notes with one of the other LOC members. They had suffered a loss of a close relative and I shared that I had lost my sister recently. In that exchange, I was once again reminded how unpredictable life is and how all the plans we make for ourselves and just know will happen, don't. In short, you don't always have to do the prudent, safe, and predictable thing.

If you like that shiny new car, and you can afford it, take a walk on the wild side.

Yeah, its always cheaper to fix what you have then buy something new. But, when you want something new/newer anyways...and you're concerned about day to day reliability when its your wife and kids riding around in it...nothing lasts forever.

Our plans and desires for our next car have recently changed. Safety is our number one top requirement. We're focusing on a CPO Volvo XC90 SUV now, V8, white, all the toys. We'll make do with the smaller interior size of the XC90. Just one too many stories out there about how "I'd be in trouble had it not been for my Volvo". That's number one now.

This is a done process. I bought a CPO Volvo XC90 with the V8, 32k miles, 2008, awd. White exterior, beige leather interior. All toys except navigation (we have more Garmins than cars at the moment anyway) It feels like a luxurious bank vault.

Still at the dealership, I've got my first repair already!!! Hahaha!!! Brake light bulb burned out!!

Took my cell phone long enough to post that last reply..geezz!

Here are a couple of photos from my phone about 30 minutes ago in my parking garage. Dealership is around the corner from my office. I'll get more later (and better). Drives very nice, for the whole 4 miles I've driven it so far. Have an appointment next week to take it in for them to finish up the reconditioning for the certification. A couple of seats have some scratches, minor nicks here and there, the cosmetic stuff. 32k miles in nearly 4 years of ownership by the previous owner, is pretty good! Volvo warranty covers the entire car until 100k miles or 1/1/2014, whichever happens first. Sold to me by the original dealer who sold it the first time, and serviced it. I didn't negotiate on the price, but rather on the trade value of the 4runner. They gave me $11k for it. Considering I paid like $18.5k in 2007 for it, drove it 52k miles, and barely spent a dime on it (minus brakes and tires), I said "you've got a deal". I think he was surprised actually that I didn't haggle further. I told him that I don't work for free and I don't expect him too either. Could've haggled for a few hundred here or there, but at the end of the day, if you want it, and you can buy it, then just buy it and enjoy it, which is exactly what I did today. Now I'm off to go show my wife her new car! This will easily be the nicest car she has ever owned, by a million miles! Helps to distract from the heaviness of what's happening in NC for us at the moment. Some men go to the bar...I go car shopping. Go figure! You ever see me in a Ferrari, you'll know I probably lost one of my parents (and my mind).

post-15797-0-15964300-1325021777_thumb.j

post-15797-0-22282400-1325021789_thumb.j

post-15797-0-21514400-1325021799_thumb.j

Congratulations!! Welcome from a fellow Volvo owner. We have a 2007, S80 with 3.2 - white exterior with Sandstone interior. Sport package which includes the selectable suspension, 18" rims and nav. and headlight washers. My wife drives it and I and she both feel better knowing she's in that Volvo.

With the extra wide tires, in snow, it goes like a tank. Nice to have another Volvo owner on the site.

Oh, We bought it as a CPO and the reliability has been excellent. Service and follow-up excellent.

Yeah NC! Nice choice. The Volvo XC is a great family mover SUV. AWD is the key. Very nice looking interior too. And to be honest, it's much better than a Buick.

Thanks guys! I drove it home tonight down the toll road, very smooth and comfortable to be in. Coming from the truck-based 4runner to the car-based XC, is very noticeable and enjoyable. 4runner was great, and still is, but we were ready to step back a notch in the "rugged" nature of SUV land.

Yeah, I just couldn't pay that price for the Buick, knowing the same car could basically be had in the Chevy, GMC, and Saturn platforms for less. The Volvo was considerably less as well, and has the V8 over the V6 in the Buick. The Buick is very nice, but going above $30k for anything with over 50k miles just doesn't sit well enough for me.

My son woke up this morning, looked outside at the driveway, and frantically said: "where's the blue car!!!?? I want the blue car!!" I'm probably going to pay for this later with the therapy bills, but I had to tell him that Santa needed to take it to the North Pole to help get his sleigh back home. He responded "Oh, ok, Rudolph must be tired, huh daddy". I laughed. He then said "why isn't mommy's new car blue though?"

Kids....

Took my cell phone long enough to post that last reply..geezz!Here are a couple of photos from my phone about 30 minutes ago in my parking garage. Dealership is around the corner from my office. I'll get more later (and better). Drives very nice, for the whole 4 miles I've driven it so far. Have an appointment next week to take it in for them to finish up the reconditioning for the certification. A couple of seats have some scratches, minor nicks here and there, the cosmetic stuff. 32k miles in nearly 4 years of ownership by the previous owner, is pretty good! Volvo warranty covers the entire car until 100k miles or 1/1/2014, whichever happens first. Sold to me by the original dealer who sold it the first time, and serviced it. I didn't negotiate on the price, but rather on the trade value of the 4runner. They gave me $11k for it. Considering I paid like $18.5k in 2007 for it, drove it 52k miles, and barely spent a dime on it (minus brakes and tires), I said "you've got a deal". I think he was surprised actually that I didn't haggle further. I told him that I don't work for free and I don't expect him too either. Could've haggled for a few hundred here or there, but at the end of the day, if you want it, and you can buy it, then just buy it and enjoy it, which is exactly what I did today. Now I'm off to go show my wife her new car! This will easily be the nicest car she has ever owned, by a million miles! Helps to distract from the heaviness of what's happening in NC for us at the moment. Some men go to the bar...I go car shopping. Go figure! You ever see me in a Ferrari, you'll know I probably lost one of my parents (and my mind).

Nice brother! Meghan and I like those too!

My son woke up this morning, looked outside at the driveway, and frantically said: "where's the blue car!!!?? I want the blue car!!" I'm probably going to pay for this later with the therapy bills, but I had to tell him that Santa needed to take it to the North Pole to help get his sleigh back home. He responded "Oh, ok, Rudolph must be tired, huh daddy". I laughed. He then said "why isn't mommy's new car blue though?" Kids....

Kids eh? gotta love 'em.

Looks good buddy!

Funny about your son. I still remember when I was a kid my Dad had an old !Removed! brown exterior and !Removed! brown interior Oldsmobile Cutlass. For whatever reason...I loved that car. It was the first car I ever loved, and obviously I loved cars from then on out. I still remember crying, and crying, and crying when they traded it in. He would take me back over to the dealership to visit it on the used car lot until they sold it. Poor guy LOL

Theres a picture of me sitting in the drivers seat hugging the steering wheel somewhere...

Wife saw three massive bucks yesterday standing on the side of the road, full grown racks, big boys! Think she loves the Volvo now.

I remember a 78 Pontiac Sunfire station wagon we had as a kid (Betsie). Thing was an utter piece of junk, but I loved it. I remember my dad had an interested buyer come over to the house. I got in trouble for telling the buyer about all of the little quarks she had, like the need to plug her in at night to keep her warm, and petting her head to wake her up (pray to the dashboard that it would start). Man did I cry when she was bought.

Good thing I'm friends with management around this joint, as for the first time in 8 years, I'm not only Toyota-less, but Asian built in general!