Vsc And Engine Light On After O2 Sensor Changed

Rx8

Hi I have lexus ls430 2004 the VSC and engine light came on got it check by connect obd 2 and the code was P0031 which is O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . I changed the O2 sensor driver side left pre cat which was denso and then took battery neg terminal off for 2 mins it reset light turned off. Then drove for 10 mins it came back on don't know what to do can some one help.

I have also cleared the code with obd scan elm327 with my laptop it clears for 10 mins of driving still comes back on I do not know what to do

Behold the high tech solution to this common problem:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55589&st=0&p=419073&hl=paperclip&fromsearch=1entry419073

You might go ahead and change the other 02 sensor. The second one died about 2 months after the first one for me...

Hi I have lexus ls430 2004 the VSC and engine light came on got it check by connect obd 2 and the code was P0031 which is O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . I changed the O2 sensor driver side left pre cat which was denso and then took battery neg terminal off for 2 mins it reset light turned off. Then drove for 10 mins it came back on don't know what to do can some one help.

I have also cleared the code with obd scan elm327 with my laptop it clears for 10 mins of driving still comes back on I do not know what to do

The original one I taken out is from the driver side pre cat part no : 89465-50130

fault code P0031 bank 1 sensor 1

im in the UK my driver side is right side and US is passenger side so the confusion caused me to order the wrong sensor

denso DOX - 0238

ORDERED THE ngk O2 sensor lets see!!!!

The code is for a lower than expected current in the heater circuit. The heater is used just to speed up the sensor getting to operating temperature so the EFI system can switchover to closed loop mode. Normal engine running doesn't need the heater but on cold starts and with heavy idling periods sometimes the heater is needed to keep the sensor above the necessary 600 degrees.

So it could be a bad heater. This should be easily measured with a DVM across the heater wires. These type of devices tend to fail to an open circuit (think old fashioned fuse) so the reading will be very high or infinity. It could be the replacement O2 you got has a different heater spec (higher resistance) than OEM so the ECU thinks its not working properly when maybe it is. Or it could be dirty, loose or broken wires in the harness back to the ECU.

Bought a new sensor TODAY from dealer ship and replaced pre cat sensor driver side

cleared the code with scanner and battery disconnect and the light vsc and mil went off after driving for 10 mins it comes back on

dont know what to do?????

HELP HELP GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED

Bought a new sensor TODAY from dealer ship and replaced pre cat sensor driver side

cleared the code with scanner and battery disconnect and the light vsc and mil went off after driving for 10 mins it comes back on

dont know what to do?????

HELP HELP GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED

Did you follow step 6 (post #1)in the link above?

"6. Clear the codes, and take a ride

if you get the VSC Off light on your dash immediately and the display says Check VSC ( Vehicle Stability Control I believe) it has to do with your code scanner when you read your codes, you'll need to get something to jumper between 2 pins on the obdc connector under the dash the TS and CG pins (see picture courtesy of FYOUNES on another site) dlc.bmp (57.69K) "

if it is still throwing the same code (be sure you've reset the ecu properly) then low current with a new sensor points to wiring or a dirty broken connector or worse still a faulty drive circuit in the ecu. Maybe clean up the O2 sensor connector (the harness to the ECU side) with one of those electronic contact cleaner sprays. Could also be a broken wire so see if there are any nicks in the wire harness.

Do you have an OBDII code reader? That is way to find out when and if the heater test has run in the ecu. It is a periodic test and doesn't run all the time. Maybe you haven;t driven enough for the test to run around again.

The original one I taken out is from the driver side pre cat part no : 89465-50130

fault code P0031 bank 1 sensor 1

im in the UK my driver side is right side and US is passenger side so the confusion caused me to order the wrong sensor

denso DOX - 0238

ORDERED THE ngk O2 sensor lets see!!!!

Just wondering if you changed Bank 1 or Bank2. It makes no difference which side the drivers seat is on. Bank 1 is the "left" side of the vehicle as viewed from inside the cabin. Is that the one you changed?

Yes thanks just realised today it's right side changed the fault is on the left side so ordered the part to be changed 2mro let's that works

Is that the "King's" English? I know, "sent from my iPhone". ;)

Just changed the left side new o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 all lights VSC and trak and Mil light have gone very pleased finally!

Thanks all for the help on the forum really did help finding out the problem

• 1 year later...

Had same issue. The codes that popped up were P0141, P0135, P0155. I replaced all sensors, as it seemed the logical thing to do while the check engine light was on and the car ran great otherwise. After sensors were replaced, the light still came on.

This was frustrating, and I just had the local shop run it on the scope and figure out there were other wires and ground wires that needed replacing that directly had an impact on the sensors. Light has not been on so far, car passed emissions with no CEL.

I would say after replacing the sensors and the same codes come on, even after pulling the negative cable from the battery, it is a deeper issue than the O2 sensor(s). It can be the harness to the sensors, wiring, grounds (like in my case) or even the ECM or its harness.

I will drive for a while to see if the CEL pops back up, but I honestly doubt it will.

Have fun, all...

I suggest if anyone is having this O2 sensor related problems to pick up an OBDII PC interface (USB) and software to run on your laptop. You can get real time graphs of the sensor output. You can compare primary O2s to each other, primaries to secondaries and so on. I had my wife drive around while I looked at the outputs and different comparisons. I couldn't have solved my problem below otherwise.

I suggest replace both pre cat oxy sensors at the same time even though it seems like an unnessary expense. The light may be coming on because the signal from the two sides is different now that you have put in one new sensor. I have a 1998 ls400 and when I replaced both pre cat oxy sensors the light went off and has never come on again. The pc software however is the professional way to get the definitive answer.