Sc300 Throttle Body Removal

zid300

I am an enthusiast car/computer mechanic... I've restored my fair share of automobiles, and changing the middle two spark plugs took me just over four hours. It was a dirty, sneaky process (just like the makers of this car) filled with difficult angles, confusing harnesses, etc. etc. etc.

Have fun!

It might help to drain the coolant a bit, because you'll need to remove two coolant hoses that run into the throttle body. You'll also need a (hex bit / allen wrench) that will fit on those chrome bolts on the top head cover (there's four chrome bolts on the front and and back).

Basically to take it off you'll need to remove the air hose from the throttle body, then unscrew 10 or so nuts. There are two or four tricky nuts because the thread is sticking out the of the screw so much that the ratchet tool w/socket I used couldn't get to the nut (because the ratchet extension would fill the gap in the socket and the thread would be jammed against the extension). What I did for that was to first put the socket on the nut, then with the extension connected to ratchet, I pushed the extension into the socket as much as I could (it won't go into the socket all the way), then I turned. It probably would help to loosen some tight nuts with a torque wrench or equivalent.

Changing plugs

I used this link to change my plugs, it's from the '95 Supra but it's the same engine... Changing my plugs may have took 2 hours total, it was pretty easy... I didn't drain any fluid and only removed one coolant hose, a tiny bit of fluid leaked out but it wasn't a problem... I also have extentions, from sears, that lock the sockets on them, which are a really big help when changing these plugs!!!

I'm pretty experienced with engine work, and swapping motors. But i would have to agree, doing a tune up (wires, cap, and spark plugs) is a !Removed! on 2jz's. The problem i had was dropping nuts into the dark abyss (caught on something and would not drop to the floor). Plus, the gaskets for the egr went bye bye. Anyways, It would be pretty damn easy if the engine was out of the car.

I think paying a mechanic to deal with it is a better idea. You could spend those hours working overtime or with your family, wife.

After you do it for the first time though, you'll be an expert. Be forewarned, it's !Removed!.

A flexible magnetic extension should help. Brake cleaner helps to clean the surfaces of the throttle body. Gaskets to replace the old ones, if you want, for the egr and throttle body. Toyota dealers don't carry them readily. Lexus ones do.

GOOD LUCK