Brake Pad Replacement Question--Where Does This Washer Go?

GKLCPA

Hi Guys. I'm completing a front pad replacement on my LS and while moving the caliper around, the washer pictured below fell out from somewhere and I can't determine where to put in back. It looks like it has some wear on it. Can someone tell me where this goes? Thanks

post-32011-0-36495600-1322458220_thumb.j

I was able to resolve this question. This washer is about the size of a quarter and it's for the caliper bolt. I figured I'd answer just in case someone else had the question.

...and that is why you do one side at at time! :lol: Thanks for the update. BTW, I will usually snap a couple of digital pics along the way when doing the brakes just in case I need a 'refresher'.

...and that is why you do one side at at time! :lol: Thanks for the update. BTW, I will usually snap a couple of digital pics along the way when doing the brakes just in case I need a 'refresher'.

Photos aren't a bad idea at all. The tires are still off, so I may do that now. Both sides are slightly different however--at least on my car. The passenger side has a wear sensor while the driver's side didn't.

This was my first time doing a brake job and it's a fairly straightforward DIY with the exception of getting the caliper bolts out. The breaker bar I had wasn't good enough, so I had to get a 2 footer for leverage, but I messed around hammering the smaller breaker bar for an hour before arriving at the conclusion I had the wrong tool. The kind of inexperience can slow down a job like this, but any future brake jobs I do will go much quicker and I have two other cars that will need this at some point.

Hi Guys. I'm completing a front pad replacement on my LS and while moving the caliper around, the washer pictured below fell out from somewhere and I can't determine where to put in back. It looks like it has some wear on it. Can someone tell me where this goes? Thanks

That's looks VERY suspiciously like a crush washer for the engine oil drain plug, in which case it should NEVER be used otherwise.

I'm with Jaswood on this one. If that washer is copper, and it looks like it is, it's a drain plug washer as he says, or a crush washer for a brake line banjo fitting ( one of two). In any event, that washer should not be used under a bolt, like a caliper attaching bolt.

I think it is a stray part....

I'm with Jaswood on this one. If that washer is copper, and it looks like it is, it's a drain plug washer as he says, or a crush washer for a brake line banjo fitting ( one of two). In any event, that washer should not be used under a bolt, like a caliper attaching bolt.

It's definitely the caliper bolt washer. It fits in a slightly recessed part of the caliper where the bolt goes in and there's another for the other bolt. Apparently, it popped out of its recess when I moved the caliper. As it turns out, I forgot to put it back.

It's definitely the caliper bolt washer. It fits in a slightly recessed part of the caliper where the bolt goes in and there's another for the other bolt. Apparently, it popped out of its recess when I moved the caliper. As it turns out, I forgot to put it back.

It makes no sense to have (soft) copper washers under a caliper mounting bolt that MUST be torque to a fairly high specification. Perhaps someone used the wrong waskers in the past..?

I don't have access to my '92 LS factory repair manuals at the moment but I do have the ones for the 2000 RX300. All four caliper "mounts" use shoulder bolts. IMMHO it is unusual to have washers of any kind with shoulder bolts.

Begs the question...

Why would you remove the caliper mount, torque plate, just to change the pads...?

[quote name='GKLCPA' timestamp='1322596825' post='444131'

Normally there is a copper crush washer under the flange of the banjo bolt, and then one under the block on the end of the hose. The two copper washers conform to provide a seal against the high pressure fluid. They are one use only, unless you anneal them with an oxy-acetylene torch. Without them you will have a leak.

Best to check the assembly and if you need new washers an auto parts store will have a selection, that you can match up with the existing ones.

Begs the question...

Why would you remove the caliper mount, torque plate, just to change the pads...?

I was getting ready to say that there was no other way to do it, until I stopped and thought about it. The pads are held in by a clip at the back of the caliper. All I had to do was remove that clip and the pins and I could have slipped the damn things in. I had Lexls's instructions and my set up was different and I just assumed the process was the same. I did a lot of unnecessary work. Oh well.

[quote name='GKLCPA' timestamp='1322596825' post='444131'

Normally there is a copper crush washer under the flange of the banjo bolt, and then one under the block on the end of the hose. The two copper washers conform to provide a seal against the high pressure fluid. They are one use only, unless you anneal them with an oxy-acetylene torch. Without them you will have a leak.

Best to check the assembly and if you need new washers an auto parts store will have a selection, that you can match up with the existing ones.

SRK, let me make sure I understand. Are you saying that without this caliper bolt, I'll have a leak? It's my understanding that the banjo washers are dime sized. This washer is a quarter sized washer and I confirmed that it's for the caliper bolt. I did not reinstall the washer. Do I have to worry about a leak here? How would I know there's a leak anyway?

The ID of the washer is a fairly good fit on the OD of the bolt, and without the washer the steel bolt and block are then hard against the iron caliper. A leak would be revealed fairly quickly - remove the wheel, fire up the engine and press the pedal.

A parts listing should also show the washers. Dealer parts listing may also indicate the diameters of the washers.

Any washers I've seen on caliper mounting or bracket bolts are hardened steel, and are used sometimes to shim the caliper mouth into alignment with the disc.