Stuck Spark Plug

thewzdoc

I posted this as a reply in another thread but I thought I'd give it it's own just in case.

I changed all the plugs until I got to the last one and it's stuck. I worked it out about 2 turns but now it will not turn at all in either direction.:chairshot:

Anyone us PB Blaster before?

haven't used but it is supposed to be one of the best penetrates; let soak good; be sure to use anti-seize on threads (espec. w/ alum heads).

Should look at threads good if you can see them; you may have to use a thread chaser. Be sure to torque the plug expecially in this hole.

I changed all the plugs until I got to the last one and it's stuck. I worked it out about 2 turns but now it will not turn at all in either direction

If is does loosen (hopefully) with the lubrication; I'd tighten it back down to 13 ft. lbs, reoil and wait, then try to loosen again

Man....be carefull with that one (I know you will)

I used the PB Blaster last night and it worked wonders! THe old plug came right out with no thread damage.

THe stuff was actually bubbeling in the hole and then dissapeared....

Yes I used anti-seize on all of the plugs (I always have on my other cars).

skperformance...I had no idea that you owned stock in Lexus...thanks for the "help"

By coincidence, I changed my plugs today. I've only had the LS400 with 100K for 3 months, so I was concerned about the removabilty of the plugs, since the repair history for the car (from Lexus) only went back 3 years. Since the recommended replacement interval for the plugs is 72 months, I was concerned that the plugs could be the ORIGINALS.

What I found was that the front plugs-1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6 were a struggle. Really tough to move-far beyond any torgue requirement. But I got them out. 7 and 8 were worse-far worse. I gave up before I broke the plugs in the hole. What to do? The answer came from a tool that my Father, who passed away 10 years ago, left me as part of his tool collection. He was a plumber and plumbing salesman by trade, and as a result, had some tools that were out of the ordinary. The tool was an elongated socket with a "T" handle on the end-I think it was used on sink basins. The secret is the "T", which gives you perfect leverage when twisting the tool. It's about 6" wide on the handle, for a great grip.

Even then, I used Liquid Wrench, which isn't as good as the other stuff. Everything worked, but it was a struggle. Plugs at the rear of the engine tend to seize. I recommend. if all else fails, go to an Indie. Lexus makes money with their deficiencies, just like all the automakers. You will pay through the nose.

I used the PB Blaster last night and it worked wonders! THe old plug came right out with no thread damage.

THe stuff was actually bubbeling in the hole and then dissapeared....

Yes I used anti-seize on all of the plugs (I always have on my other cars).

skperformance...I had no idea that you owned stock in Lexus...thanks for the "help"

Okay, there's a reason why Sk told you take the car to Lexus. It's because if you apply an petrolium-based lubricant including anti-seize, you risk a fume build-up in a vacuumed electrical zone. Two things will happen, major electrical fire, or a failure or misfire of the plug. I would suggest a little bit more elbow-grease instead of using lubricants. If needed, use something that will give you a little bit more leaverage.

Remember, preventive maintenance, is good maintenance.

:lol: I don;t own stock.But i know if a tech screws somethnig up they will have to fix it ,even if it isn't technically there fault. You have aluminum heads which strip easy .But you will never see the damage on a plug as it is a harder metal , neither will looking at the threads on the head. Basically it sounds as though when you where removing the plug you did not keep the extension perfectly inline as when you started to remove it which caused the plug to bind in the head without destroying the threads. It is hard to do but once done properly it is easily over come . Would you rather pay for a plug change or a new head?

Leaving any spark plug in an engine for five years is a mistake. Putting a plug in an engine dry, without any lubricant, and expecting to come out after five years without a hassle, is completely unreasonable.

There is absolutely nothing technically wrong with using a small amount of never-seize on a plug thread when installing it. No fires, no electical maladies whatsoever.

I take the plugs out every two years, if only to have a look, and prevent seizures.

And if a plug does pull a thread it can be replaced quite easily by a tech who knows what he is doing, with a heli-coil. No need to replace the head.