Code P0A05, P0A93

Well, possibly some good news. Compared to what I thought might happen....Yep Got the Check engine, Hybrid sytem failure, Check VSC lamp....Thought I am toast, looking at Hybrid battery or Converter. I have 103k miles on a 2008 RX400h and care died day before yesterday. Toyota called and said the codes were P0A05, P0A93 which is a Coolant pump failure. Cost $591.56 for replacement. So much better than what my mind was saying like $6000-$9000. No part locally so it will be next week...Will fill you in next week...Happy Black Friday.

I could do job myself, but hey I am going to support toyota...Question does anybody know how to tell if you have tow package, apparently it uses a different pump....My Vehicle doesnt have hitch, but I was told if the front emblem is hollow it has the tow package...any other way to tell?

That my friend is the water pump for the Hybrid cooling system....The RX400h has one cooling system for the hybrid with its own electric water pump, and another water pump on the 3.3liter V6 engine which is a traditional water pump.

Ok, good news I did some research and The C1310 was from a blown fuse and not doing a calibration on the steering for center and yaw......Must have happened when the Converter got confused from the pump failure. anyway car is back and The inverter cooling pump had failed....Total not as bad as it could have been...$570 :whistles:

Here is the pump (old one) and part number....took this one apart, the impeller is actually a magnet that is supported by a very tiny teflon,or ceramic shaft bearing. It looks like it wore and maybe started wobbling hitting the sides of the pump assembly....not the greatest design I have ever seen for a pump....Note the pump can be changed probably in less than 15minutes, but they charge you 1.5hours labor...typical i guess.

post-12820-0-87682500-1322619467_thumb.j

If the impeller shaft were ceramic, it's unlikely it wore out - now Teflon I can believe.....

Regarding the average vehicle's water pump: Most folks have theirs replaced when the timing belt is replaced (typically at 90,000 miles), so those people don't often have pump failures. At your mileage, I guess the pump failure should not be entirely unexpected.

If the impeller shaft were ceramic, it's unlikely it wore out - now Teflon I can believe.....

Regarding the average vehicle's water pump: Most folks have theirs replaced when the timing belt is replaced (typically at 90,000 miles), so those people don't often have pump failures. At your mileage, I guess the pump failure should not be entirely unexpected.

Remember this is not the water pump driven by the timing belt, it is a seperate water pump for the hybrid cooling system. I looked in the maintenance book and nowhere did it say anything about replacing this pump...I agree on the timing belt (engine) pump, I replaced it when I did the timing belt along with the idlers.... You Have actually three water pumps in this car, one for the engine, one for the heater, and one for the inverter cooling.

Ok cut pump in two last night, here is how the impeller and pump body look inside, the impeller is a magnet, which is part of the motor. The center of the impeller is the only bearing support which is very tiny....maybe about a 1/8 inch at most.

post-12820-0-35702400-1322663704_thumb.j

Anyone know - if you have the transmission cooler (behind the grill under the fog lamp, driver's side), does this mean you have the towing package? Or did all the hybrids come with the tranny cooler? What exactly did the towing package include?

The tow package came with a different inverter cooling pump...and wiring harness in trunk...not sure what else...I would think that tranny cooler is on all of the hybrids....maybe look it up on a parts site and see if cooler is listed for all models...

Just passed 170 000 km on my 2006 the other day. Wonder if that's the lifespan for those pumps (your 103 00 miles is around 160 000 km). With all the salt spray and snow up here and the location of the pump, it looks like a good candidate for failure.

You know there's yet another electric pump that pumps tranny fluid through the tranmission cooler....

Just passed 170 000 km on my 2006 the other day. Wonder if that's the lifespan for those pumps (your 103 00 miles is around 160 000 km). With all the salt spray and snow up here and the location of the pump, it looks like a good candidate for failure.

You know there's yet another electric pump that pumps tranny fluid through the tranmission cooler....

You can get the pump for $160 at about a dozen online dealerships....Maybe it would be better to just change it....No i didnt know about the electric tranny pump, I suspect there had to be something to move the fluid....

Remember this is not the water pump driven by the timing belt, it is a seperate water pump for the hybrid cooling system. I looked in the maintenance book and nowhere did it say anything about replacing this pump...I agree on the timing belt (engine) pump, I replaced it when I did the timing belt along with the idlers.... You Have actually three water pumps in this car, one for the engine, one for the heater, and one for the inverter cooling.

Understood. I was implying that the various water pumps are most likely similar in construction and that they DO wear out, eventually. It's hard to say how long the average pumps lasts, since many people have theirs swapped before they fail.

Man if only we could predict the normal life span of these electric pumps, Than we could put them in a maintenance requirement instead of eating big bucks when they fail....