0W-20 Oil In A 2009 Es350

gatoman39

According to Car and driver the new Camry V6 :

The only powertrain changes, aimed at improving fuel economy, are subtle: lower-viscosity engine oil (0W-20 versus 5W-30), a transmission-oil warmer to achieve operating temps a little faster, and a higher (numerically lower) final-drive ratio of 3.46:1 versus 3.69:1. The net, according to the EPA, is a gain of 1 mpg in city and highway modes, for a rating of 21/30. We averaged 25 mpg.

Would using this 0W-20 oil in a 2009 ES350 be worth any fuel economy or efficiency gains?

The only powertrain changes, aimed at improving fuel economy, are subtle: lower-viscosity engine oil (0W-20 versus 5W-30), a transmission-oil warmer to achieve operating temps a little faster, and a higher (numerically lower) final-drive ratio of 3.46:1 versus 3.69:1. The net, according to the EPA, is a gain of 1 mpg in city and highway modes, for a rating of 21/30. We averaged 25 mpg.

Would using this 0W-20 oil in a 2009 ES350 be worth any fuel economy or efficiency gains?

answer seems to be above in the quote you provided...difference is so marginal, why bother, IMO

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hi. I have had a VOA (virgin oil analysis) done on Toyota 0w20 oil by two different labs, and the results are extremely good. This looks like a well designed robust oil (made by Idemitsu as far as we can tell) with a ton of Moly in it (a good antiwear additive). It also has a viscosity index in the 210-240 range depending on which lab you believe. A high viscosity index is a good thing. I will be having a UOA (used oil analysis) done when I change the oil, but that won't be until spring. I can then see how well it fared in my RX400h.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...3357&page=1

I did a search of the forums and found this thread re; 0w-20 oil. I found it using "viscosity 0w20". There is more on the subject out there.

Paul

"Trust me, you'll have no trouble running this oil in any Lexus or Toyota (or many other vehicles - Honda 0w20 is also made by Idemitsu, but the VOA on it is slightly different). When I bought a case of 12 from the Toyota dealership, the parts guy showed me an internal Toyota bulletin regarding the 0w20 oil specifically. It IS a synthetic oil, despite the lack of labeling as such on the bottle.

The bulletin went on for 4 pages, but it looks like 0w20 will be the ONLY oil spec'd in most upcoming Toyota and Lexus models. It has also been back spec'd for quite a number of Toyota/Lexus engines, but I don't recall which ones. The 2nd generation RX was listed for sure. Best bet if you want to run it on an older engine is to ask your dealership (or Toyota corporate) if your engine has been back spec'd."

For me, I am under the impression that an oil like 0W-20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, may help in 2 key areas. Start-up wear and short trip city driving. However, this oil is 2-3x more expensive than conventional. I have doubled the life of the oil in previous cars by swapping out the oil filter after 5k miles, only replacing 1/2-3/4 a quart and driving 10k miles instead of the 5k recommended oil change interval. I was planning on doing this to the ES350 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I will likely use Mobil 1 0-20w oil in our newly acquired 2008 ES when the oil needs changing. The previous owner had the Lexus dealer use synthetic oil, which I personally believe is goodness for our engines. I just can't see how switching from 5-20w to 0-20w can be harmful.

• 2 weeks later...