Known Battery Issues With Rx330

MDarsey

HOWDY, I have had my Lexus for over7 years and now have Battery Issues when not using Daily.

I often went out of the Country, leaving the car Unattended for literally Weeks-Months at a time, and never had any Problem coming home to restart the vehicle.

The all the Sudden, I go to my vehicle and the Battery is either Completely Discharged(Not even a Single Light or Noise when turning Key),or partially Discharged( Lights Come on but starter just Clicks away).

I went to the dealer, since the Battery was still within warranty and they checked the car out. They told me several things that i have yet to see in any Forum...hence my reason for posting.

The Dealer to l me that this is a KNOWN Issue with all Upper end Luxury Cars (I was not convinced), and that if the car is not driven regularly(DAILY), the Battery will discharge within several days(UNDER ONE WEEK).

I now have a car that has to be hooked up to a Trickle Charger. I Purchased one from SEARS for $28.99. I can hook it up to a Cigaret Lighter, or use one of the three attachments to "Conveniently", hook my car up every night.

I Honestly think the Dealer was full of it, but he did recommend the trickle charger, and they have never Charged me for a Visit to recharge or check on the car (WESTSIDE LEXUS, HOUSTON TX).

I did find a solution from Walmart, to Insure I never had a problem with a Dead Battery. It was a Portable Quick JUMPER--recommended by a Wrecker Driver. IT IS AWESOME. It literally paid for itself after three uses. It is basically a Battery, with a LIGHT and Handle. I plug it into my wall, charge it up,..and I keep it handy just in case. It has two simple Jumper Cables attached for Jumping...and it also has a Cigaret Lighter connection for use with a OPTIONAL connecter for the car to Jump from the Inside...THIS IS AN AWESOME tool. under $35.00. They have various Models, but to be honest just get one that has enough Cold Cranking Amps to start the car.

The neat thing about this Charger/Jumper is that I can Plug in a Laptop or any other devices that have a Cigaret Lighter attachment. I used one of the Optional Attachments from the Trickle Charger fore mentioned, and now have a way to Jump my car from the Inside...I don't even have to pop the hood.

NOW...this is all awesome and great, but it does not answer the original Problem of what is causing this car to discharge within days of no use. The dealer seems to think it is a Common problem, but Honestly who would buy a Car if the dealer revealed "If you don't drive it every day, it will not hold a Charge. If you spend upwards of $60K for a Car, you would think it could sit for a Day, or a Week without this problem.

I had many conversations with the dealer on this matter, and I am not Convinced that there is not a SHORT or something Inherently wrong here. I will be happy to discuss this with anyone, and invite others to comment or question on this matter.

Hope this helps some of you, as I have the same problem with the same Model Lexus Rx330.

Good Luck, M Darsey

If this is the original battery, that is the first place I'd look. Five years on an automotive battery is reasonable service and seven years is exceptional. The symptom you describe is compatible with those of a failing battery. The story your Lexus dealer told you should have begun with, "Once upon a time . . . . . ."

I agree. If you're still running the original battery, it is now dying. I had to replace our original 2004 RX330 AWD battery this past July. Sounds as if yours is on just about the same fade-away schedule....

This was the Second Battery. No Alternator Problems, and no chort ditected.

The Battery has a 8 year warranty, but they will Prorate the Refund after 5 years. The prorate only got me $30.00 off a new replacement Battery.

This was the Second Battery. No Alternator Problems, and no short detected.

The Battery has a 8 year warranty, but they will Prorate the Refund after 5 years. The prorate only got me $30.00 off a new replacement Battery.

This was the Second Battery. No Alternator Problems, and no short detected.

So, the dealer replaced the battery and then said you had to use a trickle charger from then on? That's just plain wrong and you might want to contact the U.S. headquarters for Lexus and see what they have to say.

Meanwhile, you should make sure both battery terminals are clean and tight. Clean away any corrosion on the terminals or the connectors. If they are okay, trace the negative cable (the black one) from the battery to where it bolts to the chassis. unbolt it and make sure there is no rust or other corrossion on that connection. Check the area around the hole where the grounding bolt attached, check the washer, and check the bolt. All should be nice and clean, and bolted tightly to the chassis.

If that doesn't cure it, you may have something as simple as a light staying on when the car is off. An example is the glove box light and the under-hood light. Bulbs this small draw very little power from the battery, but can drag the battery down if they're on overnight. There are probably several other small lights that could be staying on. Park the car in a very dark place and look for any lights that may be on. The first two I mentioned above are the most common culprits.

Do you have anything plugged into the front or rear power outlet (what used to be the cigarette lighter)? An iPod or cellphone or GPS and any other thing might also be using power when the car is off.

Have you installed (or had installed) any aftermarket items like a different stereo or something similar. It could have been wired to an "always on" terminal in the fuse box and drawing power all the time.

Little problems like this can be frustrating. Good hunting for whatever is draining your battery.

Hmm seems strange, but I have ran into this before. On a different vehicle, exactly what you are describing would occur. It would loose charge really quick. Wouldn’t seem to charge well.

I had the battery replaced, alternator replaced and still it had the issue. Didn’t see any oxidation on the terminals. Turns out there was oxidation on the terminal wire, not on the terminal side, but where the negative attached to the body. I couldn’t even see that, luckily my dad’s mechanic figured it out (sometimes old school thinking is a good thing). Any way I replaced both positive and negative wires and I was good to go. Never saw the issue again.