I Replaced The Lcd Display On My 97

poppabear

My LCD display for the head unit was turning dark. The radio tech says that the display is delaminating.

I got a replacement LCD display with interface module from David at:

jill allen [dabaysidejill01@worldnet.att.net]

for $125. It came with complete instructions for removing the head unit.

I was quoted $270 to replace the LCD from a radio repair shop. They also quoted $60 to replace if I provide the parts. David provides very detailed instructions with pictures for removing the radio.

Make certain to cover up your wood accent pieces and be careful of scratching the foam around the radio. The radio has lots of sharp edges that can damage your car. Also the sheet metal has sharp edges that can cut you.

The hardest part was removing the AC vents. I was considering buying a dash trim removal tool. It is a thin plastic blade, but I finally used the handle part of my nail clippers. It has a nice bent end that helps pry out the clips. You have to pry it out to the right of the LEXUS Premium Sound System logo. Then pry it out to the left of the warning flasher button. Then pry it out at the left top about 1 inch from the corner and then the right side about 1 inch from the corner. You have to exert a lot of force and it looks like you are damaging the foam molding.

Disconnect the two electrical wires.

You also have to pry out the filler strip under the climate control. Pry it out at the joint under the A/C button. Then pry it out under the Temperature knob. Gently pry it out by prying alternate sides.

This exposes the four bolts that hold the radio/climate control assembly. At this point it is pretty easy. Remove the bolts. Remove the bolts holding the radio in the holder. Remove the 2 bolts holding the climate control on one side. Take out two screws holding the face plate. Remove the bottom knobs. Pull off the face plate by undoing clips on the sides and bottom.

Remove the cable to the display. Remove two screws to remove the display. Put in the new one and reverse the procedure.

I had some scratches in the foam molding. I used car polish to buff them out.

Total time was about 2 hrs. If I had to do it again, it would take about 45 minutes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent instructions - I will probably need to do the same replacement on 97 ES 300. How did you find the seller of the LCD? Does he have a web site? Is this brand new LCD? Who makes them? What type of warranty is provided?

Regards,

Alex

I had the same problem with my radio. I bought my lcd straight from Pioneer the manufacturer for the whole radio. The total came to 95.66 after shipping. Part # is CWM4319 http://Parts.PioneerElectronics.com -or- 1-800-421-1404. This is a new oem part and I don't think there was a warranty. I feel sorry for you man $125? :censored: damn.

~Oh yeah...I have a 98 so you may want to call and ask or search for your year.

I had the same problem with the backlighting on the A/C console of my '01 ES, so what I did was just replace the burnt out bulbs and that was it (only spent $6 on the bulbs). No need to replace the entire unit, which could easily run up to $600 from the dealership (big hassle IMO). If you're however having functional problems with the stereo or the A/C unit, then that's a different story itself. I followed this guy's instructions on removing the stereo-A/C cluster unit. Very useful and a nice DIY project entirely :)

David had replied to several topics involving LCD displays in our forum. $125 included shipping.

I'm glad that aejjrseto98 got a good deal. That is the same part number. Why didn't you post this information earlier?

The display and interface were completely new and from Pioneer. There was no warranty. David had color Xeroxed complete instructions for removing the head unit. The pictures were extremely useful.

Also, he had Xeroxed the Lexus Service Manual for the head unit. It wasn't as useful. It was mainly circuit diagrams and instructions for adjusting and repairing the head unit. It didn't have specific instructions for replacing the display. It had a diagram with a handwritten arrow showing where the display screws were.

A radio tech was quoting around $210 for the part and $60 labor. I thought I was getting a good deal.

• 7 months later...
I had the same problem with the backlighting on the A/C console of my '01 ES, so what I did was just replace the burnt out bulbs and that was it (only spent $6 on the bulbs).  No need to replace the entire unit, which could easily run up to $600 from the dealership (big hassle IMO).  If you're however having functional problems with the stereo or the A/C unit, then that's a different story itself.  I followed this guy's instructions on removing the stereo-A/C cluster unit.  Very useful and a nice DIY project entirely :)

Can you tell me what bulbs to buy, how many and where you bought them? Also, if you could provide me with instructions for replacing the bulbs, that would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to try replacing the bulbs before replacing the entire LCD unit. Thanks very much for your reply. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This is sounding like a common problem! My '97 ES 300 radio display is also failing me. The display is all jumbled. Almost like all the characters are being overlayed on top of each other. The light is on, although I don't think it's as bright, hmmm, but I'll have to pay more attention to that when I get back in.

Anyway, I can't read it anymore, but it still works great. Do you think the bulb will help? Any ideas? :unsure:

Wow! This is sounding like a common problem! My '97 ES 300 radio display is also failing me. The display is all jumbled. Almost like all the characters are being overlayed on top of each other. The light is on, although I don't think it's as bright, hmmm, but I'll have to pay more attention to that when I get back in.

Anyway, I can't read it anymore, but it still works great. Do you think the bulb will help? Any ideas?  :unsure:

I want to confirm aejjrseto98 comments. Great job on diagnosis and informing.

I have a 1997 ES300. If you are reading hyroglyphics or total blackout on the radio display you have to replace the LCD...it has delaminated. This part is called the LCD indicator assembly. It includes the LCD and an attached circuit board. Both are connected with a ribbon cable. The part is CWM4319 and be ordered with 2 day shipping directly from Pioneer by calling 1-800-421-1404. Total cost was $94.16. This forum was a big help.

My options were: $900 for Lexus dealer to replace, $190 for a company in Florida to fix if I pull out the radio and send it to them or this solution. I have it fixed for $95 and 2 hours of my time. Biggest thing, I never lost use of the radio or the car while repairing.

I want to confirm aejjrseto98 comments.  Great job on diagnosis and informing.

I have a 1997 ES300.  If you are reading hyroglyphics or total blackout on the radio display you have to replace the LCD...it has delaminated.  This part is called the LCD indicator assembly.  It includes the LCD and an attached circuit board.  Both are connected with a ribbon cable.  The part is CWM4319 and be ordered with 2 day shipping directly from Pioneer by calling 1-800-421-1404.  Total cost was $94.16.  This forum was a big help.

My options were: $900 for Lexus dealer to replace, $190 for a company in Florida to fix if I pull out the radio and send it to them or this solution.  I have it fixed for $95 and 2 hours of my time.  Biggest thing, I never lost use of the radio or the car while repairing.

Excellent DIY tip terrick. This could very well benefit us '97-'01 ES owners :)

I want to confirm aejjrseto98 comments.  Great job on diagnosis and informing.

I have a 1997 ES300.  If you are reading hyroglyphics or total blackout on the radio display you have to replace the LCD...it has delaminated.   This part is called the LCD indicator assembly.  It includes the LCD and an attached circuit board.  Both are connected with a ribbon cable.  The part is CWM4319 and be ordered with 2 day shipping directly from Pioneer by calling 1-800-421-1404.  Total cost was $94.16.  This forum was a big help.

My options were: $900 for Lexus dealer to replace, $190 for a company in Florida to fix if I pull out the radio and send it to them or this solution.  I have it fixed for $95 and 2 hours of my time.  Biggest thing, I never lost use of the radio or the car while repairing.

Excellent DIY tip terrick. This could very well benefit us '97-'01 ES owners :)

This forum was extremely helpful and I would like to thank those who provided information on the replacement LCD display unit and instructions for replacement. I ordered the part from Pioneer and paid $95 including shipping and replaced the unit in about an hour and a half. It was easy to do and the display is working beautifully. Thanks again! :cheers:

Another happy camper here!  I completeted this is a quick and affordable repair today.  Pioneer must be having a "run" on the LED display.  Thanks to all who "PIONEERED" this thread!

Gary :lol:

Has anyone explored whether the hieroglyphics problem with the LCD display is a dirty contact problem? I just ordered a new display from Pioneer on Sunday. I was installing a CD changer last weekend and happened to remove the display partially (wanted to know how difficult it would be). Much to my surprise, I noticed today that many of LCD segments that were missing had returned. I am going to go home today and remove the display and try cleaning the contacts. If this works I guess I will be returning the display back to Pioneer.

Another happy camper here!  I completeted this is a quick and affordable repair today.  Pioneer must be having a "run" on the LED display.  Thanks to all who "PIONEERED" this thread!

Has anyone explored whether the hieroglyphics problem with the LCD display is a dirty contact problem? I just ordered a new display from Pioneer on Sunday. I was installing a CD changer last weekend and happened to remove the display partially (wanted to know how difficult it would be). Much to my surprise, I noticed today that many of LCD segments that were missing had returned. I am going to go home today and remove the display and try cleaning the contacts. If this works I guess I will be returning the display back to Pioneer.

Addition - I went home and tried removing the faceplate to try and clean out the contacts and it still did not correct the problem. My new display unit had arrived and I swapped it out. Everything is OK now. All segments are functioning. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Another Successful installation. Buy the part from Pioneer and follow the instructions that are in the first post. Works like a charm. FYI, I used a thin plastic spatula to pry out the air unit and the filler plactic under the climate control. it worked great. Avoid using anything metal, you will get scratches.

• 2 weeks later...
scorpiondad,

I created the instructional write-up for the center console bulb replacement in the following link (pics included):

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...threadid=104934

Hope this helps out.

OK I finally got it apart, no problem. The circuit board had two diodes on it and were solidered in. Of course Lexus parts has no cule. Did you replace the board or the diodes? This is a 1997 and the stero is Pioneer (p/n86123-33060). The PCB with the diodes is CNP 4091-B #5 with IL 901 and 902 being the designator.

I need the P/N for the Diodes.

Any Ideas?

Addition - I went home and tried removing the faceplate to try and clean out the contacts and it still did not correct the problem. My new display unit had arrived and I swapped it out. Everything is OK now. All segments are functioning. :)

I have the same problem with the display and ordered the part from Pioneer. I will let you know if it fixes the problem when the part comes in.

Thanks,

I am a happy camper too..  Just replaced my Pioneer LCD on the 1997 and it looks like new!  For less than $100 and less than an hour it was worth it!  Great writeup!

my cd/ tape button is out and it is a lil l.e.d with a green cap soldered to it. how can i fix that?

my cd/ tape button is out and it is a lil l.e.d with a green cap soldered to it. how can i fix that?

If you look behind the circuit board in which the bulb is fastened, there is either a black or brown plastic socket attached to the green capped bulb which can be unscrewed with a small flathead. When you replace the bulb, make sure it's a bulb with the same colored socket (brown or black). You can get these center console unit bulbs from your Lexus dealership for about $2 per bulb.

I followed this guy's instructions on removing the stereo-A/C cluster unit.  Very useful and a nice DIY project entirely :)

Another satisfied customer. I had the delamination problem with my '98 ES300 radio display - very hard to read. I ordered the part from Pioneer and swapped the display in about an hour. These directions were great!

terrick any instructions available on replacing the lcd display. Pulling it out was not bad at alll. I own a 94 my mother has a 97 and since I just installed a dvd screen in mined I no longer needed oem radio. Unfortunately it does not fit. I have seen this site who will repair it if you ship for 200 but I found this thread and it seems like multiple people have replaced lcd alone. http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval...sES3002StrR.htm ...this is the right part correct ? http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.a...uctNum=CWM4319+ for some reason I am not allowed to pm but if someone is willing to help me I want to attempt it. AIM : azmalu or email gq602@hotmail.com

terrick any instructions available on replacing the lcd display. Pulling it out was not bad at alll. I own a 94 my mother has a 97 and since I just installed a dvd screen in mined I no longer needed oem radio. Unfortunately it does not fit. I have seen this site who will repair it if you ship for 200 but I found this thread and it seems like multiple people have replaced lcd alone. http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval...sES3002StrR.htm ...this is the right part correct ? http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.a...uctNum=CWM4319+  for some reason I am not allowed to pm but if someone is willing to help me I want to attempt it. AIM : azmalu or email gq602@hotmail.com

i was told that there was not a part number for it. it is a black square piece that has a glass bulb in it with a green condom over it. it was solder to the chip but iss now beside me....