I Replaced The Lcd Display On My 97

poppabear

Well, I replaced the LCD in the ol' 98 ES300. It took me about an hour because of my stupidity. I forgot I had a cassette in the unit. When I disassembled the unit to replace the LCD, Bonehead here removed the cassette by "light" force - HUGE mistake.:chairshot: Once the entire unit was in the dash again, the unit will not accept a cassette. Oh well, one thing is I hardly ever used the cassette player anyway (mostly CD changer) and I have a crystal clear display to enjoy. Long story short, great instructions in the FIRST post - Thanks very much. ;)

Any chance you might have the exact Part Number?

And where from?

I had the same problem with the LCD on my 97 ES300, but instead of replacing the LCD, I chose to replace the head unit. I put in a new pioneer head unit with mp3 capablity and it only cost me about $250 installed. Now I can play all my mp3 cd as well.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the same problem with the LCD on my 97 ES300, but instead of replacing the LCD, I chose to replace the head unit. I put in a new pioneer head unit with mp3 capablity and it only cost me about $250 installed. Now I can play all my mp3 cd as well.

Hey, care to share the model # of the Pioneer you went with? I'm having trouble confirming whether various models will fit my 97 ES.

I called them they gave me two parts #

1. CAW1384 just LCD 56.XX

2. CWM4319 LCD with board 102.XX

I am lost which one to order

Please help.

when I did my 98 about 2 years ago, I dd the CWM4319. Takes about 15 minutes to remove, 5 minutes to install and then put all back..

All I know, I would not want to try and save $40 just to install and not work.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here I am with the LCD in hieroglyphics for the second time. I called Lexus before I found this board. They must have told me 25 times that the car was out of warranty. Okay, does anyone believe that a 10 year old car still has a warranty on the radio?

Lexus obviously knows of this problem. Their fix: a new radio $650.00 plus installation at my local dealer. No, they can not replace just the LCD. They should be ashamed. Shouldn't Pioneer have fixed the delamination problem by now?

I am terrified to attempt installing a new LCD. Nor do I want to continue to replace it every three years. However there are excellent instructions on this board, so I may attempt it.

Thank you all!

I am about to be politically incorrect here, but I really wish I had one of you "car savvy" gentlemen to do this for me. When I was a young woman of 19 years I did, with help of a manual and a soon to be ex-boyfriend, rebuild the top of my AMC Javelin motor. (boyfriend disappeared while there were still parts all over the garage floor). Now that I am many years older, crawling around the dash of my Lexus with a pair of nail clippers is a bit daunting.

Any encouragement would be appreciated!

Thx again,

So, here I am with the LCD in hieroglyphics for the second time. I called Lexus before I found this board. They must have told me 25 times that the car was out of warranty. Okay, does anyone believe that a 10 year old car still has a warranty on the radio?

Lexus obviously knows of this problem. Their fix: a new radio $650.00 plus installation at my local dealer. No, they can not replace just the LCD. They should be ashamed. Shouldn't Pioneer have fixed the delamination problem by now?

I am terrified to attempt installing a new LCD. Nor do I want to continue to replace it every three years. However there are excellent instructions on this board, so I may attempt it.

Thank you all!

I am about to be politically incorrect here, but I really wish I had one of you "car savvy" gentlemen to do this for me. When I was a young woman of 19 years I did, with help of a manual and a soon to be ex-boyfriend, rebuild the top of my AMC Javelin motor. (boyfriend disappeared while there were still parts all over the garage floor). Now that I am many years older, crawling around the dash of my Lexus with a pair of nail clippers is a bit daunting.

Thx again,

Why don't you just do what I did, I went to Circuit City and had a new Sony head unit installed for only $250. My 97 Lexus can now play mp3 as well.

Thank you all!

Thx again,

I am not a car savvy person by any means. I know tech specs and such, but I don't know the first thing about fixing them. I, too, was a bit nervous to install a new display on my 97 ES (also had the scrambled character problem). It took me a little longer since I was being extra careful. The main things to be careful with are A. making sure you are holding onto the screws/bolts so they don't fall behind the dash.... this didn't happen to me, but if I hadn't been careful holding onto them, it could have and B. putting down a thick cloth on the shifter. I didn't do this (stupid me) and the metal from the head unit made a few marks in the shifter leather. Not hugely noticeable, but it still bugs me. If you have questions, let me know and I can send you my email address. It's really not a horrible task. Took me about an hour or so, but it's SO worth it to have a readable display... and the replacement only cost me about $80. Good luck!

Thanks for posting this thread. I have a 98 ES300 with the same LCD problem. I just ordered the part online from Pioneer. Total including shipping, handling, and sales tax was $120.17. I can wait till it gets here.

On a side note, took the dash apart using the posted instructions to get some practice for when I get the actual part in. It was fairly quick and easy. The only thing was that I lost two of the small metallic clips that hold the ac vents in place. They fell off when I was prying the unit out and they dropped down into the bottom of the dash. I also lost one of the 10mm bolts that holds the stero in place. I had to tie some string to a magnet and hang it down there and swing it around until I finally got the bolt. That was a good save, but unfortunately I was not able to recover the clips.

Does anyone know if those clips can be purchased from lexus? And if so, what is the correct name and corresponding part number? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and good luck to others who will be attempting tis DIY project.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for posting this thread. I have a 98 ES300 with the same LCD problem. I just ordered the part online from Pioneer. Total including shipping, handling, and sales tax was $120.17. I can wait till it gets here.

On a side note, took the dash apart using the posted instructions to get some practice for when I get the actual part in. It was fairly quick and easy. The only thing was that I lost two of the small metallic clips that hold the ac vents in place. They fell off when I was prying the unit out and they dropped down into the bottom of the dash. I also lost one of the 10mm bolts that holds the stero in place. I had to tie some string to a magnet and hang it down there and swing it around until I finally got the bolt. That was a good save, but unfortunately I was not able to recover the clips.

Does anyone know if those clips can be purchased from lexus? And if so, what is the correct name and corresponding part number? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and good luck to others who will be attempting tis DIY project.

HSK,

How did you know to get the LCD from Pioneer? I have a 1996 ES300 with the same problem and would like to rebuild my climate control unit like you did. Who, here in the forum, would know if my 1996 is the same as what HSK bought for their 1998. I could ask the lexus dealer but all they care to do here is replace the whole uit new and I have better use for the over $400 they would want. Funny you lost the same bolt and clips I did while removing the air vent...........

• 4 weeks later...

I just replaced by Radio LCD display yesterday and the wisea$$ that i am, I tried to repair the bulb for the volume button on my 98 ES300 . The bulb broke while I was trying to get it off. I guess it was soldered onto the board. Now none of the lights work on the radio except the backlight of the LCD. The lights for the buttons don't work. Any suggestions ??? My thought is that I might have fused the volume bulb contacts and so it shorted. Any suggestions would be welvome. I thank everyone for providing such valuable insight into this problem. But now I have a new problem ... :)

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say that this 35 year old female successfully just replaced the LCD in my 97 Lexus ES300, thanks to this board!!!! I ordered the part, came in 2 days, and went out armed with about 10 different screwdrivers, and other various tools (raided my husbands workshop) Good tip about using the nail clipper handle to do the prying off, worked like a charm. In any case, I finally got it all apart, took the old lcd off, plugged in the new, put it all back together, and am feeling very happy with myself for actually doing it right ;o) My teenage son's friend came over and was marveling that his friends mother could work on a radio in her Lexus.. lol.. He was thoroughly impressed. Yes, the admiration was just coming from a teenager, but hey, I needed the recognition from someone!! Thanks so much for this great forum, and all the good advice.

• 4 weeks later...
I just wanted to say that this 35 year old female successfully just replaced the LCD in my 97 Lexus ES300, thanks to this board!!!! I ordered the part, came in 2 days, and went out armed with about 10 different screwdrivers, and other various tools (raided my husbands workshop) Good tip about using the nail clipper handle to do the prying off, worked like a charm. In any case, I finally got it all apart, took the old lcd off, plugged in the new, put it all back together, and am feeling very happy with myself for actually doing it right ;o) My teenage son's friend came over and was marveling that his friends mother could work on a radio in her Lexus.. lol.. He was thoroughly impressed. Yes, the admiration was just coming from a teenager, but hey, I needed the recognition from someone!! Thanks so much for this great forum, and all the good advice.

You just inspired me to finally order the lcd and replace it. I can't wait to be able to read the display again! I purchased this at partstore.com for $110.11, free shipping and handling. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the LCD on my 1998 about 5 days ago. It was easy. The whole job took about an hour and the part was ordered Wednesday night and at my doorstep Friday morning. By 8pm Friday night, I was cruising to a clear screen. You can do it too!! Thanks for the write up!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

:P To further save time, one may prefer going to http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com as I had to navigate around longer than I preferred at the pioneerelectronics.com site to find audio parts. I understand partstore.com may save you $20.00.

Gratitude to all...I have lived with a half dark radio display screen too long. I was glad Lexus Owners Club members supplied the assistance and in particular gave the part number (pn). When I ordered on the Pioneer website I was unable to look up the pn by make or model of my car. Now I can't wait to see the radio station numbers again!!

I didn't want to invest in replacing entire radio as Lexus suggested. I had a friend who had the same problem and pulled a radio from another Lexus but after installation realized the CD player was non-functional on the replacement so he un-installed, again. I ordered a radio for a 1997 ES 300 on line and had to ship back because the radio was wrong one. I heard Toyota would replace the display for less than Lexus would the entire radio and was contemplating that avenue. Wow...all this will be behind me.

I have owned my ES for a decade and am finding that little things are needing to be replaced...drivers visor $250., rear middle seat belt $100., part that illuminates the rear license plate (yet to order).

Currently I am seeking a passenger side front door wood panel...where the door locks and window switch is located. Lexus said I must replace the entire wood panel ($300.) to get a tiny, screwed on, plastic, attachment piece that broke and causes my switches to fall into the armrest. I have been unsuccessful at finding the part less expensively. I have enjoyed this site and am hopeful for further successes.

Thanks to all who took time to assist others! Comforting to see another Portlander and another woman accomplishing what I am going to undertake. This topic took a while to find but was worth the hunt.

Now to remember to cover shifter and wood panel with cloth, be careful not to let screws and clips disappear...whew, I also want a Parrot (bluetooth over car audio system), satellite radio and push button, fob, car start installed. Any advise on an experienced yet reasonable priced shop to do all the above. Maybe Car Toys?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I need to replace the radio LCD on my wife's '97 ES300. I already ordered and received to part from Pioneer. I just need a copy of the removal and replacement tutorial. It was located here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~talmeida/Lexus/...dio_Removal.pdf

But all I get is a 404 page. Can anyone e-mail a copy or give me another link?

Thanks.

twofanman at ya hoo co m

• 4 weeks later...
scorpiondad,

I created the instructional write-up for the center console bulb replacement in the following link (pics included):

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...threadid=104934

Hope this helps out.

The link to the stereo removal instructions by Tom_ES300 is dead. Could you please provide a new link or guidance on how to do so? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me tell you I am also quite proud of you, being a good repairer and a great wife, see the quote" (raided my husbands workshop), loved this comment of yours. CCF

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This actually helps me a lot. My LCD just recently broke and I can't tell what radio station I'm listening to. Hahaha! The dealership told me it would cost about 200-300 dollars. After reading this, I'm just going to fix it myself. Awesome!

The price at Pioneer has increased to 106.50 for the lcd panel, I don't know how much (if any) for shipping. I found it on e-bay for 117.00 from another vendor, the Pioneer site was like the Spanish Inquisition to register for payment.....[Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, they're chief weapon is surprise,..] {Sorry, a Monty Python moment there}

• 4 weeks later...

The LCD display on my '97 ES300 was also bad.

I thought I'd just go the easy route and replace the head unit.

I had a new Pioneer Premier deck installed.

When I got in my car to drive away from the shop, I noticed a couple things:

1. When the engine was off, there was no noticeable change in sound quality (from the old unit to the new one).

2. When the engine was on I could hear my RPMs on my speakers.

I asked the install guy about it and he said that they would have to re-wire the car to make it sound right.

And if I wanted to use a subwoofer, I'd need to replace it with a 4 Om sub and get another Amp.

So I decided instead to just buy the replacement LCD screen and have the shop undo the changes.