My Mechanic Doesn't Want Me To Buy A Used Rx350

I've been a Lexus fan for years. My sister and brother both drive '01 LX 470s that they love, and my mom was heartbroken last month when she totaled her '96 ES300. I'm ready to buy, and in the market for a used, low mileage '07-'09 RX350. My mechanic is urging me not to do it, saying that the technology is too advanced and it's driving repair costs through the roof. I'm having a hard time believing that the technology is that much more advanced than a new Acura or Honda (which I also love, but not as much as the RX). And I've seen the reliability of my family's Lexuses, which is certainly miles ahead of the '04 Murano I'm about to dump. Any insights from current RX owners? Is the RX350 as good a car as I think it is, or would I be buying into trouble?

I agree with Jim- get a new mechanic. We've had our 2009 RX for 2 years now (bought it new). Almost no problems... and the few were minor. I will tell you (but your Mom probably already knows this) that Lexus dealers are very expensive. I go to a local Lexus mechanic who charges me 1/3 the cost of similar services from the dealer. However- as in buying any used car.. it's buyer-beware. There are some lemons out there.

My wife's '09 RX350 is quite possibly the best vehicle we've ever owned...it's been back to the dealership one time for a recall concerning an oil line/hose, that was replaced. Otherwise it's been trouble-free since we bought it in April of 2008. I was very disappointed with only getting 30k miles out of the OEM Michelins, which we just recently replaced with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas, which came on my '07 Avalanche and are wearing/performing very well. Other than the valve train being a bit noisy when cold (which Lexus says is normal), we have NO complaints about the RX...a reliable, comfortable, economical vehicle. Zero regrets for buying it. I change the oil myself every 5k miles, as recommended and it couldn't be easier.

I actually don't think the technology in the 07 - 08 RX is actually very complicated.

5 speed auto (rather clunky)

Toyota electronics, HVAC, drivetrain, etc

My 07 RX 350's engine seems pretty weak, and non-linear in response...

Thank you all so much. Confirming what I suspected. He's a good mechanic -- I've known his family since I was a kid, and I trust him to be honest. But he's got blinders where the Lexus is concerned, for some reason. Not gonna stop me from getting the car I want! And my sister's got a Toyota mechanic she loves . . . so, there ya go!

I'll be back after I buy!

• 3 years later...